XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Thanks, but no thanks, I'll force myself to wait until this week's copy of the Autocar drops is delivered in about 43.25 minutes. :D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
penultimateblack said:
Thanks, but no thanks, I'll force myself to wait until this week's copy of the Autocar drops is delivered in about 43.25 minutes. :D
Huh :!: Now tell me that you did not sneek a peek at it; you have another 21 minutes to wait :lol:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
561 Posts
Having read both this review and Car magazine's it's interesting to note that both suggest the car isn't as fast as Jaguar claim and still not the same as the 535d. Having done 0-60 times I have no idea how Jaguar acheived the 2.7d's time of 7.7s and it seems Autocar had the same problem. They also question the 3.0d s claim of 5.9s. Given the rest of the car is the same it makes a mapped 2.7 seem better value than ever (but then I would say that...)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SpiresST said:
Having read both this review and Car magazine's it's interesting to note that both suggest the car isn't as fast as Jaguar claim and still not the same as the 535d. Having done 0-60 times I have no idea how Jaguar acheived the 2.7d's time of 7.7s and it seems Autocar had the same problem. They also question the 3.0d s claim of 5.9s. Given the rest of the car is the same it makes a mapped 2.7 seem better value than ever (but then I would say that...)
Could the reason be in here somewhere :?:

mickyabel said:
Another reason could also be that your car simply isn't run in fully yet.

I had my car remapped by Squires-ST last week and they said that i wouldn't feel the full benefit of the car until at least 8k has been covered, their 2.7d xf was still getting better after they'd gone through the 8k mark.

I drove their XF last friday and to compare both cars isnt' fair as my car has only done 1.5k and theirs had done close to 9k and they were a million miles apart, mine is lovely, theirs was a monster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I am an avid reader of all things Autocar and was mildly disappointed with their report.
I realise that midrange torque is where it is at but it makes me think that our 2.7's are gonna do just fine after all and the, very expensive, jump to a 3.0 is not worth it after all. Not that I would have considered blowing £12,000 to get myself into a 3.0.

Maybe time for that remap :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Must admit I was a little disappointed with the report too. I had expected them to rave over the car, and to be honest I felt a little flat after I'd read it. It seems the acceleration times quoted by Jaguar are a tad optimistic, however that mid range punch is what really counts.
These reviews are so subjective though. For example in the Car Magazine it says the 535d is still king, but in Auto Express and I quote "but it takes on the mighty BMW 535d and wins!" :D
I also think it needs to be judged on it's own merits and not constantly compared to one other car, and let's face it that other car is a pretty common sight :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Well, I can only go on what is online at the mo as it'll take at least a couple of weeks for us to get the mags over here, but I think that online review was ****e! Not the car being slated but the review itself was tonk, I didn't really learn anything from it apart from the fact that they think the 0-60 was "optimistic" What was the 0-60 they achieved then? In fact the review was so vague it almost looks like they have written it from details on paper and haven't even driven it!?
Out of interest what was the one in Auto Express like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Ignore my last, I've just seen it on their website, still not awe inspiring is it?!
Well all I can say is, roll on the new S owners and their reviews from the "horses mouth" so to say!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Neillbro said:
I am an avid reader of all things Autocar and was mildly disappointed with their report.
I realise that midrange torque is where it is at but it makes me think that our 2.7's are gonna do just fine after all and the, very expensive, jump to a 3.0 is not worth it after all. Not that I would have considered blowing £12,000 to get myself into a 3.0.

Maybe time for that remap :D
Thats a bit of a general statement, and maybe not in all cases; if I had bought the same spec car in a 3.0d that I was going to get on a 58 2.7d, I would be actually paying less than the 2.7 would have cost (even with Jags' 5.9% deals). As it is, im getting an Brand Spanking New 09 3.0d PL with added rear camera and B&W sound sys, all for just over a grande more :!: Ok not a huge difference but Im well happy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
You cannot judge a car simply by the engine's performance! The Autocar review focuses very much on the power and it misses the point completely. If I wanted a 'boy racer's car' I would have bought a Subaru Impreza!

What I love about the Jaguar XF (and I did go and test drive a 535d before I ordered one) is that when you climb inside this cockpit - you know you're about to drive off in something special....it beats, hands down, everything else on the market!

Roll on my XF 3.0D S Portfolio - I don't care what others think about it - I just know Im gonna love it. :)
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
561 Posts
Pekem makes a valid point about running in and for this there is a simple piece of advice - rag the nuts off it. Once past 1000 miles just go for it and you'll be amazed how much quicker it gets.

That said, I'd be amazed if Jaguar sent a load of Journo's out to drive their brand new landmark engine if they weren't run in properly. That would be a bit of an own goal.

If I were a first time XF buyer then great, look forward to getting my new 3.0D. If I already had a 2.7D then I'd be keeping it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
zx10ben said:
Well, I can only go on what is online at the mo as it'll take at least a couple of weeks for us to get the mags over here, but I think that online review was ****e! Not the car being slated but the review itself was tonk, I didn't really learn anything from it apart from the fact that they think the 0-60 was "optimistic" What was the 0-60 they achieved then? In fact the review was so vague it almost looks like they have written it from details on paper and haven't even driven it!?
Out of interest what was the one in Auto Express like?
I must admit that having read both Auto Express and Autocar reviews this morning I was a tad disappointed too, and I agree with zx10ben as my first impression was have they actually driven the car for any distance or at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
SpiresST said:
Pekem makes a valid point about running in and for this there is a simple piece of advice - rag the nuts off it. Once past 1000 miles just go for it and you'll be amazed how much quicker it gets.
I've known about this with regards to motorbike engines, but never realised it applied to car engines as well. Interesting!

Well am still in limbo as to what to do, I currently have my 2.7 Lux with almost the same spec as a PL having added most of the packs and extras and was looking at going for the 3S PL. Last time I checked I was looking at an extra 5K to do the jump whereas the normal 3 would just be a smidge over 2. When do you think you'll be able to tune the 3 Spires? Do you think you'll get it close to the S or is the actual engine configuration different?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
561 Posts
zx10ben said:
SpiresST said:
Pekem makes a valid point about running in and for this there is a simple piece of advice - rag the nuts off it. Once past 1000 miles just go for it and you'll be amazed how much quicker it gets.
I've known about this with regards to motorbike engines, but never realised it applied to car engines as well. Interesting!

Well am still in limbo as to what to do, I currently have my 2.7 Lux with almost the same spec as a PL having added most of the packs and extras and was looking at going for the 3S PL. Last time I checked I was looking at an extra 5K to do the jump whereas the normal 3 would just be a smidge over 2. When do you think you'll be able to tune the 3 Spires? Do you think you'll get it close to the S or is the actual engine configuration different?
Not sure what we can do yet until the 3.0Ds are with customers and we can look at some. I would suspect that the 3.0D and 3.0D s engines are exactly the same except for the software which means you can by the cheaper model and re-map. Will take a while to find out and then develop something though.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top