XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to test this out? How quick does it defrost the windscreen? Are there an heating elements visible?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The heating elements are very visible did you not notice the black lines on your test drive?

On a day when you would usually give your car a quick scrape they take about a minute to be clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pardon the stupid question, but are you saying the front windscreen is heated? I missed that one, but what a great idea!

dongee

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the heated windscreen is a standard item on the Premium Luxury model and SV8, here in the UK at least.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good heavens dongee, no hope for me - I'm even older than you are!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too, missed that one.

I missed this option in the last car. Does the mirrors clear also (premium version)?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Yes, the mirrors are heated (which is pretty common on most cars in this sector these days).

·
Registered
204 Posts
As an aside, I suspect the heating elements in the windscreen wreak havoc with the in-car unit ('IU') installed in all Singapore-registered cars.

Congestion charges are deducted wirelessly off a cash card inserted in the IU - essentially a card reader - each time a car passes under a gantry (ugly stuff). The system is convenient to motorists in general if not aesthetically pleasing for the gantries erected all over the place - in town, expressways, etc. There are also numerous car parks that use the same wireless principle to provide ingress/egress.

I've had trouble getting in and out of some car parks although, thankfully, none with the congestion gantries, which would have entailed an administrative fee on top of the prevailing charge should the IU be unreadable/undetected.

Has any other Singapore XF owner 'enjoyed' this issue?

Ta!

Roy

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have just returned from a trip across France using a Sanef automatic peage transponder mounted on the heated windscreen to pay toll fees and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am wondering if it's the power settings/sensitivity of car park entry/exit detectors.

I have similar problems at home with my gate remote control. Pointing the remote out the windscreen almost always end in no action from the gate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
mauler said:
I am wondering if it's the power settings/sensitivity of car park entry/exit detectors.

I have similar problems at home with my gate remote control. Pointing the remote out the windscreen almost always end in no action from the gate.
should have ticked the garage door opener option then! :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ha ha! Wished I could have.

My car was part of ready stock already on their way to Singapore. My other choice was to wait till August. My X5 was due for replacement so I jumped on the chance to get the XF.

On top of the usual Premium Luxury bits, mine had the parking camera, front parking sensors, xenon lights as part of the dealer's package. The only thing missing was adaptive cruise control, which was no loss to me. Made the car a little cheaper as a result!

·
Registered
618 Posts
could always hev it retro fitted. Would mean a new interior mirror but everything else you need, including the power feed is already there

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

I'll ask the local dealer about it.

Roy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts