XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golly! Mine seems awfully slow and reluctant to do anything. I assumed this would be similar to the quick defrost that Ford have fitted to cars for years and whilst I may have got the wrong idea, I assume they got on and defrosted the screen pretty immediately. I grew tired just now of waiting for mine to make any impact at all and reached for the de-icer. How do other folk's front screen heaters perform?
Martin

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Martin,
It might help to trawl through this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=408

Also, I did wonder this morning how much power is required to meet the needs of both de-icers, the possibilty of heated seats and wheel, plus the car heating.
I suppose if it was only providing energy for say, a fast defrost then it could be quicker. :?

·
Registered
618 Posts
pekem said:
Also, I did wonder this morning how much power is required to meet the needs of both de-icers, the possibilty of heated seats and wheel, plus the car heating.
I suppose if it was only providing energy for say, a fast defrost then it could be quicker. :?
The power management of the vehicle is not great. When it first got a cold snap i started the car and put on the aircom to 25, both heated seats on full, heated steering wheel and the front and rear screen. I found that the seats got warm first followed by the mirrors then the front screen. finally the aircon warmed up after about a mile or so and the rear screen after ten mins. It does this because of the way the car has to manage the power to enable it to function.

I have found with playing around that a bit of manual power management works better so what I do now is start the car and .......

turn on the front screen
turn everything else off

then less than a minute later you can turn the front screen off and turn on the rear screen to defrost the mirrors.

After they are clear turn it off and put on seats and wheel and then drive off with aircon of 25 and rear screen on again, Very quickly everything is warm and clear

·
Registered
242 Posts
There were quite a few posts on this subject back in the autumn when we first had frosts and the general conclusion seemed to be as Craig has said that it is down to the way that the XF balances it's electrical power requirement. It is interesting how everyones car seems to this slightly differently. In my case (before I was aware of the problem) with everything switched on, the front screen clears in a couple of minutes but the rear screen and mirrors were woefully slow. The seats and steering wheel were also slow.
I now have a similar routine to Craig - 1) Start the car and the front and rear screens switch on automatically. 2) After a couple of minutes when the front screen is defrosted, select the defrost mode and switch off the front screen. Rear screen de-ice is still a little slow but better than previously. 3) When the rear screen is fully de-iced return the a/c heating to suto and switch on the seats and steering wheel and they then heat up quite quickly. I havent found the need yet to run my a/c at 25 though !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips. Got it now, but it's silly isn't it! All these things are automated so that lights, rear and front screens all "come on" automatically to save one the bother, but in fact the opposite is the case because to get the front screen to operate, you have to turn off the lights, the rear screen and the heater fan and sit on a cold leather seat, disobeying everything you've ever been taught about driving off when you have a cold engine instead of sitting still! It's great isn't it! Don't get me wrong, I love all the kit, but I just think that it should work as it's meant to work so you don't have the stress of thinking you've spent a shed load of money on a luxury car but a ten year old dinky Ford Fiesta would have dealt with a sheet of windscreen ice a lot more efficiently if you asked it to by pressing the button on the dash. Incidentally, I was pleased to see that Jaguar reps keep their eye on this forum - I hope they take note of these things so that when I buy my next Jaguar I can expect what are, let's face it, "faults" to have been corrected. To my mind, a straightforward "correction" would be simply to disable the auto functions - if we're capable of driving a car, we ought to be capable of turning things on and off when we want - perhaps "off" might remain auto, though, in the case of the screens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts