XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m new to the forum so my apologies if I ask anything too obvious.
So I just bought my first XF. It’s a 2013 2.2D 197bhp Sportbrake Portfolio.
I’m in the UK in case it’s relevant.
I really like it, but inevitably I’m still trying to work things out..
One of those things, although minor, has been today’s obsession.
Do I or don’t I have headlight washers?
I’ve been searching forums and know that I must have sufficient fluid, have the lights on (not DLR) and that they should automatically work with the windscreen wash, every 5 times or so. No joy. So I’m not sure if I just have blanking plates or if the washers just don’t work?
I expected the portfolio to have them as standard? I’m totally confused about the fuses..
If anyone can guide me then I’d be grateful..
Many thanks
James

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You do have headlight washers. They are mandatory, when cars have Xenon headlights. The faceliftet XF MY2012-15 always has xenon headlights. The washers only work, when the headlights are switched on. They pop out and spray water on the headlights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Henrik
I clearly have a fault as they don’t pop out, with lights on. Maybe a fuse but I can’t work out which fuse it is from my manual.
Thanks again
James

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s get more confusing.. I spoke to my local Jaguar dealer and they checked my registration number and said it doesn’t have Xenon lights or washers..
I then called another Jaguar dealer who said I have both 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bigvic
I didn’t think they were self levelling as I’d read that if you have a dial next to the fog light switch, it’s for height adjustment. However I’ve just worked out that the dial referred to is the instrument illumination adjustment 👍
I’ll check for sure that they are self levelling when it’s dark 👍
Then I need to work out which fuse/relay to check 🤔
Thanks again!

James

·
Premium Member
2012 XF V6 3.0 litre Diesel
69 Posts
Self Levelling/Cornering headlights (i.e. the turn the direction you turn your steering wheel). If these aren't working, there would be an error light in your instrument cluster.

Remove your inner wheel liner (RH side I think) to check the separate pump that is used for the headlight washers as it may have failed or become disconnected

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Self Levelling/Cornering headlights (i.e. the turn the direction you turn your steering wheel). If these aren't working, there would be an error light in your instrument cluster.

Remove your inner wheel liner (RH side I think) to check the separate pump that is used for the headlight washers as it may have failed or become disconnected View attachment 50575

View attachment 50576

View attachment 50577

View attachment 50578 .
Many thanks Tonestar for this advice! Really helpful.
It appears that I definitely have self levelling Xenons ( I can see them adjust a bit) but haven’t yet worked out if I have headlamp washers.
I spoke to the dealership that sold me the XF 2 weeks ago and they’ve arranged for me to visit the garage where the MOT was carried out. I suspect they’ll just say that it doesn’t to avoid doing anything, so this info is useful.
Thanks
James

·
Premium Member
2012 XF V6 3.0 litre Diesel
69 Posts
Another way to tell is if you have cornering headlights (and auto selections on your headlight/indicator stalk).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another way to tell is if you have cornering headlights (and auto selections on your headlight/indicator stalk).
Thank you Tonestar 👍

I ended up returning to the dealer, armed with a print out of the confirmation from Jaguar Support that my XF has headlamp wash. The mechanic ‘hooked’ out the washer ‘thing’ with his fingernail and said ‘yeah It does’..
It ended up needing a new pump.
I don’t even use them as I leave my lights on the auto setting, but that wasn’t the point. They are there if required.
Thanks again for the advice 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts