XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are shortly to go on holiday to Venice in our new Jaguar XF fitted with 'Bi Xenon' headlights. The operator's manual states that the headlight unit has to be removed to adjust the beam pattern for driving on the right and advises this is a job for a dealer. I had hoped I could do this while waiting for the ferry; hardly practical to start dismantling the car or popping into a dealer in Portsmouth! Is it not possible to do this adjustment from under the bonnet?

Another related matter; given all the high tech bulbs on the car, which are dealer only replacement, what bulbs do you recommend as spares for traveling in France, Italy and Switzerland so that we remain legal. Out of interest I estimate a round trip of 2.5K miles.

One last trivial point; what does the 'bi' in Bi Xenon headlights mean? From what I can see the main beam bulbs are normal halogen bulbs. Does it matter? I guess not; the lights are quite impressive, cf previous S-Type which were awful!

My apologies if this is not the correct place to ask this question; it is my first

Regards

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bi-xenon bulbs are capable of both dipped and high beam settings.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum bryameg :)
Quite a lot of members are either living on the continent or have travelled across as you will and so I am sure that a complete explanation will follow in a short while.
In the meantime, please consider adding a little detail in your profile about your car.
It will certainly be relevant with regard to the question of lamp replacement, but we are a nosey lot and just like to know and particulary like to see pictures in:
viewforum.php?f=25

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think this may have been raised before, and there are probably four options:

- Get the dealer to do it. Apparently they can achieve a 'UK legal' adjustment, so that you can get from wherever to Dover and back while still having beams OK for the Continent. But oh dear, the cost!

- Do the above yourself, if you feel confident.

- Buy some of those little sticky things for a fiver or so. They worked fine with the bi (don't know what it means; sorry) xenons in my last car, and I'll be expecting the same this year.

- Go by train. Doesn't have to be the Orient Express; you can Eurostar to Paris and overnight to Venice. Its a great trip, and that moment when you come out of St Lucia station is just so brilliant.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was always under the impression that you shouldn't stick anything onto the glass of Xenon headlights as the heat they generate it excessive, hence all manufactured cars with Xenons factory fitted must have washer jets to keep them clean.
I could be talking twaddle but I'm sure that was mentioned to me in the past.

The adjustment that is referred to for Xenons is making the beam flat so it won't blind people that drive on the wrong side of the road. You could do it at home then you'll be fine for the whole journey as you won't blind anyone in the UK either!

I did a guide for changing the bulbs on Halogens somewhere on the site, the removal should be very similar, as for changing the beam it should tell you where the switch is on the unit, in the manual.

Enjoy your tour!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You CAN use the stick ons. I always use EUROLITES which you can buy at Halfords etc as removing the lights to switch sides is a real pain and certainly not advisale at the ferry port. If you have a new 3.0D car the exterior mirror repeater bulbs are now LED, so all you need to carry is a spare H7 and perhaps a 5W yellow indicator bulb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I adjusted my bi-zenon ones recently and it is not something that you can do easily on the ferry or at the roadside. The handbook gives reasonable instructions but the diagram is very misleading. 3 screws to undo (10mm small socket) - one from the forward face of the wheel-well which will be a dirty job in the rain, and be careful not to drop it! The headlamp unit particularly on the nearside needs to move forward an inch to two to allow you to remove the large plastic cover on the rear of the light unit. Stick your finger in alongside the bulb unit and you should feel a flimsy and easy to move lever that needs to go up or down about an inch, depending whether you are departing or arriving in UK. Relatively easy to do (especially the second time!) and no need to take it to the dealer. It's a great feature which makes the stick-on things redundant, but what a terrible design from a user-friendly angle. There must be a simple mod possible which might involve cutting a finger size hole in the plastic cover to access the lever without undoing the lamp units, but unless you have a long finger you may need a special tool such as a shortish pencil with a rubber on the end! Other ideas gratefully received.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum orbiter :)
I am sure your comments will start a debate ;)
In the meantime, please add a little about your car etc in the Profile section in the User Control panel :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts