XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been browsing this forum on and off for a few weeks and thought I'd put a message on as one of probably quite a few folk weighing up whether to buy an XF.

First of all and kind of randomly and unplanned, I had a test drive in the 3.0 DS a few months back. To say I was impressed in a fairly short test drive is an understatement. So the heart says:
- Stunning looking car all round
- Performance outstanding, a real drivers car (I currently run a remapped Volvo T5)
- Handling felt good and safe
So I left the dealership mulling over how I could get the dosh together to get such an amazing car..............

Then the practical head kicks in, especially after reading this forum and I pick up on
- Eye watering depreciation (I don't normally buy new - but there's no second hand market in the 3.0 D so far)
- Big issues with rear brake wear that dealers can't/won't resolve
- Dodgy satnav software
- Creaky trim
- Some poor b***ers having snagging lists as long as your arm
- Unhelpful dealerships

........and I think, should head rule heart and should I wait a year or so and see what upgrades appear and what depreciation on the 3.0 D S looks like. Or should I say to hang with it and join the queue to get one on the basis that it will take so long to deliver that they might have de-snagged it while I'm waiting!

For those of you who have one of these gorgeous looking cars, especially 3.0 D owners. do you have any regrets about your choice?

Cheers for your input

Bob

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bob Stubbs :)
Apart from the economics I would say ignore your head; the adverse information you glean here in relation to technical issues, mostly in relation to the 2.7, is not representative of the many XF owners throughout the world who enjoy their car and would not want anything else. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Agree with Pekem, reading forums will only highlight the issues to you, it wont really highlight the positives as people dont post threads on - my XF was great today and im still smiling - kind of subjects.

Yes the sat nav is rubbish but it is only rubbish in comparison to an excellent system, It will get you from A to B when lost and really that what it is for, its not for telling you how to drive down a road you have driven for years.

I had have no issues with any trim rattling etc whatsoever

I had three issues upon purchase -

heated steering wheel not connected
mark in the sandwich of the windscreen
broken door edge on drivers door

All fixed very quickly under warranty.

In terms of depreciation you have to ask yourself how long you are going to keep the car. Depreciation is only an issue when you come to sell. Those people who moan month on month that thier car is losing 700 notes a month are akin to those who only own one house and until recently bragged about how much it was making as prices went up. They dont make anything until you come to sell and even then you have to reinvest, same with depreciation. The 3.0s will hold better now than the 2.7 which has taken a knock with the 3.0 release so feel sorry for us early adopters!

Where are you from? My dealer in London has been more than helpful and I wouldnt hesitate to buy a car from them again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would agree - go with your heart. All cars will depreciate but if you are looking at spending anything around the price of an XF it is a great car

With regard to snagging I did have an issue with my boot alignment for which Jaguar UK and the dealer apologised. It was quickly fixed under warranty and the car has been 100% since then

Dealer staff are friendly professional, and helpful

Go for it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bob,

I understand where you are coming from having been through the same dilemma (just ordered one a couple of days ago, although still debating changing from ult black to pearl grey!). For me the excitement induced by the car and its sheer coolness far outweigh the risks of any niggles. Also bear in mind that iconic cars such as aston martins etc also have their fair share of problems too but that doesn't stop people buying them.
Regarding depreciation, sure it will lose money but what value can you place on the pleasure you will get driving it?

P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bob
I have been a happy owner of an `X` Type, 2.0D, Sovereign for over 5 years, I loved it and adored it, until I saw the XF. My trusty X, looked so inferior compared with the new boy on the block.
After a year, I popped in to Stratstone in Cardiff, to look at the cars and deals, I decided to order a new 3.D, and the only car to drive at that time was a second hand 2.7, a year old. The car was immaculate, and had been owed by Jaguar and had been going around the dealers as a demonstration car. Before I left the dealers to drive it, I fell in love with the car, it was fully `loaded` (as they say now). It was a premium luxury with added extras, Bowers and Wilkins surround system, 19" Auriga wheels, Sunroof, TV, Blind spot monitor, sunblind, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, Bi-Xenon headlamps and Parking aid pack. The drive was great, I wanted it! When at the dealers, after a bit of bartering (better price and mud flaps), we shook hands.
I joined the forum and saw that designervision was offering the rear seat entertainment centre, I hope to have that fitted shortly.
So, did I do the right thing? Should I have bought the second hand 2.7D or gone for the new 3.0D. I could never afford all the extras that the 2.7 had (£46000 in total), some days I should have gone new, sometimes when I get behind the wheel of my car, I did the right thing.
Thanks to the Forum for learning so much more about the XF, I am hoping to get the nat. sav. upgraded from Stratstones and buy designervisions entertainment system.
Gordon (Thechocolateman)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the sat nav system. Its a good system, come standard with the car and does its job well. Its as good (if not better) as any other standard fitted system I have had in previous cars and the touchscreen makes it easy to use.

Depreciation is coming out as best in class. Surely everyone knows buy a new expensive car = lose a considerable amount in depreciation. It all comes down to how much you want to spend over the life of your ownership of a car. Know your budget and stick to it.

I've had no snags with my car and no creaky trim - its been brilliant.

The dealership were also brilliant - great customer service and they handled the whole transaction smoothly and very quickly.

Its an excellent car and I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do remember that a lot of people will only post when they have a problem so what you read here may not be representative. I am very happy with my 3.0 D PL even though I have posted a few problems here that just needed a little bit of working out. Very happy with my dealer too. Depreciation in % terms is likely to be similar or better than many other cars in this bracket but as you pay more, the % equates to more money obviously.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my experiance/opinion :-

1. Depreciation - Currently best in class we use contract hire and the rates on the XF are by far the best in class, this is driven in the main by the low depreciation. This has a lot to do with lifecycle and supply and demand. But compared to the market leader BMW 5 Series the depreciation is far better.

2. Breaks cant comment not noticed anything so far

3. Satnav software, other than perhaps poor maop graphics the functionality is good. Better routing than in my BMW which would often avoid using bypasses and route you through town centers.

4. Creaky trim, none so far

5. Snagging lists, only one item pure cosmetic and being sorted by Jaguar/Dealer without dispute.

6. Thus far a good service recieved from lookers Ipswich (now Marshalls)

7. Go for it... :)

8. No regrets here

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am on my second XF already. Drove a 2.7d PL for a year - No problems. Now drive 3.0d Portfolio for last 3 weeks - again no problems. In fact the new car just seems better all round.

In regard to Sat NAV - my only bug bear is it always wants to re-route you when there are roadworks - and that is only as good as the info that is fed into the TMC function (I think) - but not a fault of the system!!

Drives like a dream and have absoloutely no regrets.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bob, put little snags to one side.
I have had a couple of very minor rattles that'll be fixed when I find the time to leave it with the dealer (clearly not urgent or I would have addressed it by now)
The SatNav can be bemusing when used with TMC turned on. Not sure which is to blame. I suspect TMC as Motoring magazines testing other systems using TMC experience similar frustrations.
None of these issues diminish the cars brilliance.
I've just returned from a 500 mile round trip. I walked in my house feeling as fresh as the start of my journey. I keep falling in love with the car all over again each time I drive it. Little things like the auto sensors for the windscreen wipers, the rain has been light, heavy and torrential today. The system has been infallible at picking the wipe speed, frequency according to the conditions.
It's a wonderful experience, and never ceases to be a talking point for those that see it.
To summarise........BUY ONE NOW!!!!! :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
To Slickfingers,

Have you noticed a huge improvement with the new car, or is it just better, without being a huge step forward?

·
Registered
100 Posts
There seems to be a vast improvement in the comfort zone, especially the seats. I am led to believe the Portfolio has different seats. The engine definately seems smoother, haven't really pushed it to hard (about 125mph) at the weekend on the autobahn. I just seem to get a warmer feeling from this model, maybe because its new! (if that makes sense) - they seemed to have added improvements that the untrained eye may not notice. The guy in the delivery centre told me a new type of windscreen has been added to enable better acoustic sounds of the B&W.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^ yes there is now an acoustic laminated windscreen fitted. Not specifically for the B+W system though as it is fitted in all the 2010 cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for spending the time to post your comments up here.

I was hoping the view coming back was to go for it so I think that's what I'll try and do in the coming months. I can still vividly recall being seriously impressed by the short test drive even though that was a while ago now.

I'm self employed so I'll be using the car for part business use and I'll work out what the best way of dealing with that is.

Suffice to say, you've persuaded me to have a punt and ignore the niggles.

Many thanks again for your sage advice..............................
....................now what colour will I go for hmmmmmmmmm

(Not wanting to prolong the thread :).................)

Cheers guys

Bob
(from Inverness by the way)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts