XF Forum banner

Have you suffered as Kenny has with blown bulbs on your [b:1ziss10z]XF[/b:1ziss10z]

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've now had my 2nd set of bulbs fail/blow on me!! :x

Something MUST be wrong here. It is the only car I've had, where it eats bulbs up just as fast as it drinks Diesel!

The last time I had the car in the garage they said that Jaguar advised them to check the earth leads, but I wonder if there is an issue with the headlamp design / or the wiring loom that's pumping out too much power and thus heat; ergo the blown bulbs.

Perhaps we should turn this thread into a Poll to see how many people have been affected by blown bulbs?

So the question is have you suffered as Kenny has with blown bulbs on your XF
It's a simple yes or no :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
My G-d - I hope the Xenons don't blow - I'm told they cost £100s to replace!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KKman said:
My G-d - I hope the Xenons don't blow - I'm told they cost £100s to replace!
I think these discussions from the start centred on the Halogen lamps and we have not heard of problems with the Xenon's, quite the opposite :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
What is the problem some have had with the halogens as one light seems to be dimmer than the other. I also heard of problems with the xenons with them appearing to be on full when only on dipped.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dunno about problems with xenons but I'm regularly getting flashed by other road users, so I guess there's something in it!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xfphillips said:
What is the problem some have had with the halogens as one light seems to be dimmer than the other. I also heard of problems with the xenons with them appearing to be on full when only on dipped. :)
If you are seriously saying you have not heard about this issue; start here and read through the following 6 pages :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=508

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it seems that Kenny, if it was he that voted yes, was the only one troubled by blown bulbs :!:

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi all,
my side lights blow on average one every six months on the 2008 2.7d. the mains have never failed. i tried all types of h7 from the dear ones to the cheap ones and still the xf eates them all.
tom

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yep, had the same issue on my 2008 SV8 and never found a solution, other than changing to the new model with LEDs ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Never had a bulb fail in 3 years with the 2010 model. Even the rear LED units which some people were saying had issues, were perfect.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well well! I thought I was the only one, but this seems to be a common problem. My drivers side headlight blows on average every 6 months, which is starting to cost the earth (excuse the pun) when using the Philips extreme bulbs. I'm at a stage where changing the bulb is an art for me, which I can now do in 10 minutes. This is however very annoying especially in the winter when they are needed most. My passenger side headlight is a little better but even this needs changing at least once a year. Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
For me one of the license plate bulbs has gone/flickering... However does anyone notice a "thump" as you flash the halogens?

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just posted a short note about my bulbs elsewhere. On Weds night NEITHER of my headlights worked !! The mind boggles.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
hi all,
my side lights blow on average one every six months on the 2008 2.7d. the mains have never failed. i tried all types of h7 from the dear ones to the cheap ones and still the xf eates them all.
tom
Me too. Really fed up of it. Side light bulbs go at a rate of one every few months. Also a 2008 PL, 2.7D My local dealer charges £14 each. They are the halogen 501's.
If that's not bad enough, you have to take the headlamp unit out to replace it. ARGHH.
Another went on Thursday and I now order from a popular auction site for £9 (and a pair so a lot cheaper than the dealer).
A word of caution if you purchase these from your dealer, make sure they are in sealed packaging. The stores guy was "decanting" from a stock into a small plastic bag and when I pointed out as they are halogen, touching the bulb with your fingers will significantly reduce the life of the bulb, I was given the lecture on how he knew what he was doing blah blah blah. That one lasted a few weeks :(
I've mentioned this on a number of occasions while in for work and always get the same tumble weeded response!

I have tried to take note of when they go to see if there is a pattern. i.e while starting the engine with the sidelights on and a possible surge? but no, no pattern that I can figure. I've tried normal 501's but only for a few days as they look awful. I'm put off LED's as, through researching, they seem to suffer from flickering and then blowing so I do not want to go out of the frying pan.

She's back in for more work next week and this is again on the list

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine eats diesel not bulbs , buy std osram or phillips , not nightriders or like ! Lol

hope someone can tell me how to get more than 8 to 25 mpg ???

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought about buying some cheapies. I use ring xenon ultima £19.00 a pair, was in Sainsbury's petrol station the other day and saw AA branded H7's for £3.99 each.
Trouble is I live in the sticks (no street lighting) and go to work very early in the morning so need decent headlights.

Woody, I have a 3.0l D luxury and get on average 42 MPG, 33 miles to work mixture of A roads, country lanes and urban.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just had my first headlight bulb go in four years. It was a Nightbreaker in the offside dipped socket. When I removed it I noticed that there was evidence of arc-ing between the rivets that secure the terminals so Pekem's suggestion about too much power could be right.

...Trevor

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I use the Xtreme vision plus, I replace them every six months, I find if they don't blow by then, they go dim. Phil

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just had my first bulb blow since purchase in March. (Sept 2009 2010MY) Dipped passenger side h7. Replaced a Phillips with Lucas. Will have to keep an eye on it judging by previous posts! If they keep going it's for the chop, I'm not making a habit of taking out headlights!

M

1 - 20 of 85 Posts