XF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with damage to front passenger alloy! :x
It certainly wasnt done by us in our 1 week of ownership (268miles), but no proof other than to try and check out (zoom significantly) at any pics we might have of this wheel :!: As cannot be proved either way, not sure what we can do about my poor Cham :cry: - well, other than payout for its repair or replacement.... :(

Its like its been 'curbed' but the actual tyre itself is in immaculate condition, no wear/ markings, anything - its like an anti-alloy fairy (or devil) has visited and made its mark... :evil:

I was so happy at how clean the car was on collection - absolutely gleaming - so much so that I didnt need to give Cham a proper clean myself until now, which is how I have noticed this marking...

...and on a separate note, I have an intermittent problem (maybe loose/bad connection)with one of the speakers (passenger side) - whereby it gives off a distorted/buzzing/vibrating sound; happens both on low volume and several bars high (not that that should make a difference anyway when you've paid over £1k for the system!) :!:

I hope Cham isnt jinxed :!:
Not a good day....

·
Registered
196 Posts
When you see such a beautiful looking new car sometimes the excitement kicks in. After 3 attempts I now know what to look for. I feel sorry for you as everytime my car comes out of the garage I feel sick inside. I hope that I will be able to let everyone on the forum know my outcome 16 April and counting.

·
Administrator
22,556 Posts
Sorry to read of your woes soon soon after taking delivery :(
Did you get the lock thing sorted; is it possible that the car was damaged when in the care of the dealer :?:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morning , thanks pekem
No, the lock is still playing up - they have to have Cham in and take off the door panel :( At least it didn't make us look silly and work fine when there, it actually stopped working intermittently hence needing to take apart and having a proper look. :|

I dont know re the damage to the alloy... its not a huge amount, but its enough to make it very annoying; the thing is the tyre is unscathed so I really dont know. Got a good pic though, not that that makes any difference because I cant see the area in any of my original pics on collection day to compare.

and the speaker, well, the list goes on doesnt it... its more annoying for intermittent as well... car has to go in for the day next week to try resolve the issues... lets hope I dont have more to add to the list by time she goes in.....

I guess its just the way it is and nearly all have something wrong when taking on a new car... teething problems :!: :?: :!: :?: :roll:

·
Registered
196 Posts
But when you're spending that amount of money you want things to be perfect. For example if you have a problem with items you have bought and our not happy you take them back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chin up XF FX,

what's happened has happened. Make sure you take a service manager and check the car for no other damage when you take the car in. Then again when you pick the car up. I do this every time mine goes into the dealership.

This doesn't mean the dealership will damage the car, it helps prove you didn't do it if they do, (accidents can happen).

Could the wheel mark be a manufacturing fault? Esp. if the tyre has absolutely no grazing.

Hope it all gets sorted soon so you can go back to enjoying your XF.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Cleo,

Really sorry to hear of problems regarding the damaged alloy, and this is probably a really silly question, but are you absolutely sure it's damaged?

The reason I ask is I thought one of my wheels was damaged too, but on closer inspection it was some sort of residue on the wheel and it was REALLY stubborn to shift. Had to use one of those sponges with a mesh covering and my finger nail. Took ages to get rid of it and was careful as I didn't want to damage the surface.

I'm sure you've already checked out this possibility, but just thought I'd mention my experience. Good luck with the speaker and door lock.

Andy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I can say is, I really dont know; I know in truth I did not do it, but dont want to lay blame when I cant b 100% sure where its happened :!:
I gave car a great cleanover today (4got my camera tho :roll: ) and you can hardly see damage so it could have been missed easily on collection day, but as attached pic shows, after 270miles driving, damage is visible :!: ... but tyre looks untouched.....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well that's definately not a mark than can be removed :cry:

As you say tyre looks completely untouched so a conversation with your dealer beckons. Good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
XFAndy said:
Well that's definately not a mark than can be removed :cry:

As you say tyre looks completely untouched so a conversation with your dealer beckons. Good luck

I agree with XFAndy. They look like Carelias which I have on my XF, just went out with a straight edge and there is no way that damage could be done unless the tyre is scuffed.

By the way is there any scuffing near by? Or on that tyre at all? If there isn't the damage could only have been done prior to you taking delivery.

Just put any straight edge by the damage, (credit card will do), and get the dealership to explain how the damage could of been done.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
22,556 Posts
That is a difficult one XF FX
It certainly appears to be damage sustained prior to or whilst the tyre was fitted.
I think there would be nothing lost by emailing a copy of the picture to the Dealer Principal in Oxford and asking for a comment :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is a nightmare! I hope you've got a sympathetic dealer as it could be tough to prove. Worth a try though.

If not - try Ebay - lots of dealers put brand new wrapped alloys on there when people upgrade to bigger wheels, so often you can pick up a bargain!

·
Registered
32 Posts
spires is right damage looks old, perhaps the wheel has come off a demonstrator and then they replaced the tyre, as there are no spare wheels available, are there serial numbers on the alloy anywhere

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have mailed pic, but not sure theres a lot can be done as it will be a case of their word against ours... its not an easy one and I dont hold out much hope. I've just been looking at it again, as polished Cham over today (shame its raining now :x :roll: ) and its just so weird as the damage is not on the widest part of that area, ie, the actual rubber tyre rim is at least 5mm, if not full cm, wider than the alloy and its in perfect condition :!:
I dont know... not off to a good start.. speaker was playing up again today - should I have gone Indigo afterall :?: :!: :?

·
Administrator
22,556 Posts
XF FX said:
Have mailed pic, but not sure theres a lot can be done as it will be a case of their word against ours... its not an easy one and I dont hold out much hope. I've just been looking at it again, as polished Cham over today (shame its raining now :x :roll: ) and its just so weird as the damage is not on the widest part of that area, ie, the actual rubber tyre rim is at least 5mm, if not full cm, wider than the alloy and its in perfect condition :!:
I dont know... not off to a good start.. speaker was playing up again today - should I have gone Indigo afterall :?: :!: :?
Well in that case there would be merit in also sending the picture to the wheel maker and asking for their comment. I am sure SpiresSt will know the makers name :)
BTW, forget any idea that you would have been better off with Indigo; ludicrous suggestion :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats awful, were you able to point it out to the person delivering before you took full ownership to prove U not at fault? I hope so and hope it is sorted for you...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Cleo, I kerbed the front near side Cygnus on my 2.7D and as you can see the tyre is unmarked, so the dealer may not play. The wheel gently brushed the kerb and I wouldn't have known had the radio or music been playing. One of the mobile alloy wheel repairers will do an invisible repair for about £50.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's the latest with your damaged wheel, dodgy speaker and sticky door Cleo?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts