XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to drive Gabi into a wall - with me strapped inside her.

I got a park brake error warning WHILE driving.

It now takes at least 2 stabs of the starter button to start her up.

Front suspension groan recurred again after a hiatus of almost a year.

The left front window is possessed. No amount of resetting or component change would settle the auto (lack thereof) lift issue. It auto opens when it hits the top.

Engine stalled three times while attempting to start it one fine morning. Caught on the fourth attempt after a brief wait.

Gearbox warning appeared for no good reason while driving, which led to a stuck gear knob after a precautionary restart at the kerbside. That was a short-lived fright after another brief wait.

Wing mirror refuses to dip when "ordered" to despite proper setting.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

I won't be arrested for child abuse if I applied a horse whip to her. Maniacally Muahahas!

I drive in fear when the electronics will finally pack in while on the move. Imagine the gore, the mayhem, the lawsuits!

Gabi, when behaving, is a wonderful car to drive, mind. I guess I am nearing the end of my tether after 1-1/4 years of frequent workshop trips.

Thus far, the sales department has been remarkably silent on my issues, probably preferring to defer those quietly and posthaste to the service department.

Needless to say, no one's suggested a replacement. Should I ask nicely?

Grrr...

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
mauler how good to see you back again, I wondered where you had got to. :)
JAG M/T is back I see, he may have a few tips for you if you catch his eye or you could post a question directly for him at:
viewforum.php?f=37

Whatever you do; don't risk being locked up in a Hong Kong jail for car abuse :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Pekem!

I've been around getting annoyed.

I'll leave the car to the local boys for now to see if they can sort Gabi out. Failing which I shall less-than-subtly "ask" for a replacement.

Muahaha!

·
Registered
628 Posts
mauler, do you have anything across the pond similar to our Lemon Laws? If a safety-related issue, and I believe that you have a few, results in your car being in the shop for A TOTAL OF 30 days and you have made an attempt AT LEAST 3 times for the same failure, the Law kicks in. You could always demand a collateral exchange which means that you would get exactly the same car and the only thing that you might have to pay is a charge for the miles on the clock.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greenie said:
mauler, do you have anything across the pond similar to our Lemon Laws? If a safety-related issue, and I believe that you have a few, results in your car being in the shop for A TOTAL OF 30 days and you have made an attempt AT LEAST 3 times for the same failure, the Law kicks in. You could always demand a collateral exchange which means that you would get exactly the same car and the only thing that you might have to pay is a charge for the miles on the clock.

I wished they had that here in Singapore.

I may need to go the courts to get anything done.

A lady was it the news a couple of years ago because her BMW 7 could not be repaired properly. Can't remember the outcome but I think it was in her favour.

In the meantime, I'll have to check with my shark friends on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pekem said:
Whatever you do; don't risk being locked up in a Hong Kong jail for car abuse :lol:
My father told me that back in the very early days when Mercedes was a new brand in town, someone got a lemon. The owner wasn't happy with the outcome of the repairs on his car and threatened to make public his destruction of the car.

Amazingly, he got a new car from Mercedes. Very quickly, too.

These days, the manufacturer will threaten to sue if owners took a similar action.

Nah, the Hong Kongers won't be too interested in what happens to abused cars in Singapore, where I am. I am also confident that I won't be flogged for abusing my own car since vandalism involves a third party's property. :lol:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
I must have been asleep when I wrote Hong Kong mauler, what with your location being displayed for such a long time and as clearly as it is :oops:
We can only hope then, that posting on this forum, a list of the issues that have beset Gabi will be on a par to a public destruction in the market square :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pekem said:
I must have been asleep when I wrote Hong Kong mauler, what with your location being displayed for such a long time and as clearly as it is :oops:
We can only hope then, that posting on this forum, a list of the issues that have beset Gabi will be on a par to a public destruction in the market square :lol:

So do I.
:lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gabi's back in the shop.

Has been since Wednesday.

I forgot to arrange a courtesy car till two days later. They gave me a late-ish XJ 3.0 V6 to use while they try to sort out Gabi's ailments.

The first thing I noticed as I slid into the car was the seat. I *LOVE* the seat! It's got the right supports it the right places, namely, the thighs, the shoulders, the sides. I found those superior to the XF's standard seats. I wonder if I can fit those sports seats in Gabi.

The other thing I noticed was the off-the-line pull of the car. Compared to Gabi, the XJ appeared to have more grunt. I'll put that to gear ratio difference. In other gears, the XJ was about the same as Gabi although Gabi kicked-down faster. Downshifts also appeared faster.

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear from the shop what they found amiss with Gabi.

Grrr...

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Did you not ever try an XJ before buying Gabi mauler :?:
It seems to me that you perhaps would have been happier with one; but what to name her, would it still have been Gabi :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pekem said:
Did you not ever try an XJ before buying Gabi mauler :?:
It seems to me that you perhaps would have been happier with one; but what to name her, would it still have been Gabi :lol:
My grandmother has a similar model XJ which I did drive prior to getting Gabi but found that car rolled like a barge, as did the courtesy car. I prefer my cars of firmer ride quality.

Apart from the way the car took off and held me, I wouldn't have taken to the XJ. My usual passengers liked the rear space, though. It's a LWB.

Ah, another bit about the XJ I liked was the steering wheel. Nice and chunky with the 2/10 o'clock bumps.

I suppose out of the three aspects I like about the XJ, two may be transplantable. Doubt I'll do anything. Gabi isn't mine to begin with. She belongs to the company I work for - and I've been chewing on when I would hand in my walking papers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts