XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one design fault I can find with this wonderful car is that you cannot change the beam setting without loosening the headlights. My local garage wanted £30/£40 to do this!!!
So I did it myself, and for someone who is not very good with spanners it is quite easy!! You need to left the bonnet and loosen two bolts holding the headlights, then the hardest part remove a bolt from inside the wheel arch. Put some Blu-Tac inside the head of the hexagonal spanner so that this bold does not slip between the wheel arch liner and the front metal, it takes ages of fiddling with tweezers if the don't do this!!!
With the headlamp loosened it's easy to remove the circular panel at the back and change the headlamp beam for driving on the continent
You can then have a great holiday, and look forward to doing this all over again!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are several threads on this already, I think.

Most of us find that a £4.99 set of stick-on Eurolites from Halfords do the job very effectively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it is illegal to stick adapters onto bi-xenon headlights? - as these stickers are ineffective

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't really know much about the Xenon headlights- what is the purpose of this adaptor film? Is it to change the intensity to conform with EU regulations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a lever behind a circular panel at the rear of the headlight. Moving this (up or down I can't remember which as I will not be doing this till next week before my drive to Italy) moves the dipped light to the other side of the road

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Bernie said:
There is a lever behind a circular panel at the rear of the headlight. Moving this (up or down I can't remember which as I will not be doing this till next week before my drive to Italy) moves the dipped light to the other side of the road
Sorry Bernie, I'm afraid it doesn't move the "flickup" to the other side, all it does is turn the beam into flat one. Still entirely legal but not changing it to mainland Europe standard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right, and if you wish you can leave this setting permanently. However you obviously loose the 'left dipping' function

·
Registered
204 Posts
On the Skoda Superb, you can adjust the headlamps for RHD/LHD via the touchscreen on the Elegance models. Pity Jaguar didn't adopt the same approach.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry to be dim, but what actually was the upshot for converting your headlights to driving on the continent ?

Are you saying the lever at the back doesn't do it properly ?

I believe you cannot use stick-ons for Xenons as have had this problem with a Ford Galaxy in the past, that was a garage job.

The best solution was my Audi, where you get headlamp protectors with the stick-on bits, so you can then just remove the whole protector when you get back to the UK.

I would like to know the answer as plan to go to Germany when I get my XF and I think the authorities over are getting a bit snotty about things like this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it works OK, the point I was making was that to remove the round panel behind the headlight you have to remove the three bolts to loosed the headlight. This is explained in the handbook
My previous Mercedes had room behind the headlight so that this was not necessary
As previously posted when converted to drive on the continent you can leave it in this position in the UK but you loose the 'left dipping'
I have just got back from driving to Italy in this brilliant car
Enjoy your trip to Germany

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great thanks.

I'm envious of your trip to Italy. Must of been awesome.

I will have to try and do the lights myself as I can see the Jaguar dealer wanting £30-£40 to do them and the same again to put them back !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just make sure you put some BluTac inside the 'spanner' when you remove the bold inside the front wheel arch so you don't loose the bolt. I'm no mechanic and I can change both headlights in about 10 minutes
Once you have done it once it's easy

Regarding my trip to Italy I drove for a total of 12 hours coming home, no problem, enjoyed every minute of it

Enjoy your ZF, I am sure you will find you have a car with real character, the satnav is a challenge to start with, like changing the CD to a different country, but it tells you EVERYTHING

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Nav disks have a certain coverage by country, have a look at the box the disks come in and you'll see what disks cover where. I live in Germany so have the mainland Europe disk in, but it doesnt cover the UK, so if I need nav in the UK I will swap the disks over on the tunnel. A bit of a nause but liveable nontheless.
Just to let you know as well, if you don't have the correct countries disk in, you will still have the main routes showing, just not the more detailed mapping and POI's etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts