XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few months ago regarding XF's 'Winter Mode' performance basically applauding it's ability to get me out of my village every morning when most villagers with two wheel drive had problems. Wish I had kept my thoughts to myself !!

Last wednesday trying to get to work, got half way up the hill, covered with about 1 inch of snow (the council dont grit/salt through our village) and it would go no further!! Worse, the XF then started to slide backwards at an increasing rate, wheels locked with no control. Fortunately after about 50 yards it slid towards the grass verge, touched, spun round and managed to get down the rest of the hill without damage.

Weather got worse Wednesday and Thursday nights ending up with about 15 inches of snow by Friday lunchtime. Result? I havent been able to drive the Xf for a week and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms !!

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
I am wondering how severe your weather was a few months ago when you raised 'Winter Mode' performance :?:
If you compare performance then with now, when we are told that the recent snowfall is the worst seen for around two decades, is it a surprise that the car struggled to cope :?:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My experience last weekend was that the traction was no better on a light layer of mud. I travelled to see my football team at an away match and parked on (what I thought was) a grassy verge at the edge of the stadium car park. A few minutes later, I tried to manouevre forward a few feet but the car was stuck fast. I reckon I was in between one and two inches of mud. Winter mode, 2nd gear in manual, kids pushing ... made no difference. I had to call Jaguar Assistance to pull me out.

Very embarrassing - but not half as embarrassing as losing the match 1-0 to a team struggling near the bottom of the table.

(By the way, Jag Assist response was first class)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pekem said:
I am wondering how severe your weather was a few months ago when you raised 'Winter Mode' performance :?:
If you compare performance then with now, when we are told that the recent snowfall is the worst seen for around two decades, is it a surprise that the car struggled to cope :?:
My previous comments on the subject were made when the road was covered in a fairly thin layer of sleet and frost but ,dare I say it, reasonably 'virginal'.

Last week, the thinnish layer of snow on the morning in question had been compacted the previous day and was polished ice so to be honest I was not really surprised (although the 40+ seat school bus had managed to get up - how????).

The following day we had around 8 inches of snow and a further 7/8 inches the day after that making any movment impossible.

Today the car is still in the drive - there was a burst water main in the village last night combined with a hard (-7 degrees) frost and the roads out this morning would be suitable for Torville and Dean!!

Withdrawal symptoms getting worse :cry:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had cause to use my winter mode a couple of months ago and it was very poor, until I realised that my tyres were needing replaced,at 9000 miles! Now with new tyres the winter mode is much inproved. I see the winter mode as a help for some in keeping the revs down and constant, changing up more quickly and generally smoothing out driver imput. The bus probably made it up the hill because of a combination of deeper grooved tyres and 40 kids' weight over the axles.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We had comparable snow in Germany over the Chrismas period as the UK has had and is going through now. The difference is that over in Germany you are encouraged to fit winter tyres and I found that the Winter mode in conjunction with the winter rubber was extremely good. Saying that mind I did attempt an over ambitious drive through virgin snow about 1ft deep and ended up going nowhere, after several minutes of twoing and frowing managed to get out by doing it all in reverse. Rear wheel drive is smart as on the dry country roads, but if you need the traction then front wheel drive wins every time ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have just returned from visiting various cities in canada. whilst in montreal they had 10" of snow in 1 day. i stood at a cross roads on quite a steep hill for some time watching how the cars performed & was suprised to see a white XF. it stopped & started on packed ice/snow with no problem at all.
i was later told that by law they had to fit special soft compound tyres during winter & with their experience don't find winter driving a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts