XF Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post applies to 2008 model XFs.

Check your boot floor around the battery. Any water? :eek:

Had my car washed today and a small amount of water is gathering in the area underneath battery. This could be down to the high pressure washer that was used quite vigorously.

Anyway, no problem I thought, I will just remove the spare wheel and double check - only the space saver wheel sits on some type of audio speaker that cannot be removed, so I can't get to see how much water is down there.

There is only ever been one car I had with a leaking boot - Jaguar S Type. Can't Jaguar build cars with a water tight boot? :shock:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed it myself.

After spraying the rear of the car with water, I noticed a seal behind the rear bumper that allows cabling to go to the parking sensors was not 100% water tight. A quick smear of sealant around this area - and problem solved.

Might help someone with a similar problem.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
XFCAT said:
Fixed it myself.

After spraying the rear of the car with water, I noticed a seal behind the rear bumper that allows cabling to go to the parking sensors was not 100% water tight. A quick smear of sealant around this area - and problem solved.

Might help someone with a similar problem.
Well done and thank you; I will check mine out, just in case they have been displaced. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Water did leak in the boot of my 2008 XF, but no leakage appears in my September 09 model.

Just to clear things up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just found I have a boot full of water, not impressed!! We did have very heavy rain this morning for a few hours but I also had the car jet washed a couple of days a go so hopefully previous posters tip on using sealant may do the trick, will check this cable seal, what worries me has it done any damage to the boot speaker? This is on a June 09 car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can't find this seal you are refering to, give me a pointer please?

·
Registered
90 Posts
JagMick said:
Can't find this seal you are refering to, give me a pointer please?
Just an update, called in at a 'local' dealership in Kent to ask if they has any idea's, guy in service dept had not got a clue! so will wait until I get home and go to my local dealership, what concerns me is there was getting on for 2" of water in the boot and will it have harmed the boot speaker!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys,

There might be a slightly bigger problem here.

My XF cut out one day with all sorts of warnings, just a few weeks old. Car recovered with the help of Jaguar Assistance.

Eventually it was found that the rear screen had a leak where the water went down beside the battery behind the side cover and drowned a computer located inside the side cover.

Screen leak was fixed and computer dried out. Car now 18 months old and boot and computer nice and dry.

Hope this may help prevent a problem for you.

Jagcop

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that info, will definately be booking it in when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I discovered the same think last week. 1-2cm of water in the wheel well. It wasn't there 4 weeks ago when I had to use the spare so maybe a seal has given way.

I don't believe its spray from the road as the water is spotlessly clean - I suspect its coming in from the boot lid / rear screen somewhere.

Anyway, its booked in for 2 days next week for the dealer to find the leak.

Ian

PS - Mine is an 08 model with the alloy spare wheel and I don't have a "speaker" in the wheel well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you got rear parking sensors? as a previous poster has stated that he found the seal where the cable run through into the boot was not water tight, this could be the problem as the cable for the sensors clips into a channel that forms part of the battery tray, I had water in the tray as well which could not have got there unless it had come through this seal and run along the cable, I'm going to put some sealant round it and then get it jet washed to see if it has cured it, if not, it's going back to the dealer!

PS I would have expected the boot carpet to be wet if it was coming through the boot seal\window, mine was bone dry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I see this thread was statred back a few years ago. How many of us lift the boot flooring up?

Having found water in the boot of my 2012 MY, only by chance during the checking the tyre pressure of the spare tyre, it might be useful for others to check and see if this is a problem that hasn't disappeared. Mine is due to go back to the dealership this month to have it rectified. Once it has been fixed I will report back.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have seen this with other saloon cars and often its the front / top lip on the boot seal at the rear screen.
As the boot is opened and closed the lip gets bent the wrong way...inwards as such and thus water under any pressure get pushed through....this would also sho as a damp patch on the boot floor liner

Also Cabin vents are supposed to allow the air out as such but often in winter this warm air enter the boot and condenses on any cold surface..ie boot floor/sidewalls or rear lights..(ever notice that most of the stuff in the boot gets rusty of feels damp/sweaty).....gravity then causes it to gather in any low point....the boot always has rubber grommets fitted in the floor for this very reason and are supposed to be checked regularly but never are....just drill or cut a small hole in them to allow water out....there is no guaranteed fix for damp or small amounts of water in the boot.
Deep water is a bigger problem or just hasn't been checked for ages.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My suspicion is there is a leak from the wiring from the parking sensors that runs into the boot by the battery. There is channel that runs underneath the subwoofer speaker and I would estimate there is at least 1cm of water. Definitely not the norm. All the boot carpets and linings are bone dry and the water I can see is very clear, I use a pressure washer when cleaning my car so if there are any leaks the water will find it's way in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
PS I would have expected the boot carpet to be wet if it was coming through the boot seal\window, mine was bone dry.
When I bought my car last year there was water in the spare wheel well, but the dealer found it was getting in past the boot seal and down between the outer rear panel and the inner trim on the inside of that panel. Carpet was bone dry. A new seal was fitted and problem solved.

Keith

·
Registered
49 Posts
Found water at the weekend - completely dried it out and two days later boot has water in it again. There hasnt been any rain so I'm guessing the water is coming from defrosting ice on top of the car.

Can anyone confirm what the two drain tubes are that come from the rear bumper and sit next to the battery? Inspecting those suggests theres some water coming out of those, which is dripping into the boot and staying there.

Failing any other ideas I think I'll change the boot seal and start from there.

Any other top tips appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe it´s worth having a look at THIS thread (unless you´ve already done so ;))
Thank you, yes I have seen this. I'm scared that if I seal that join then I'd be trapping water inside that joint which may make the matter worse - at least at the moment the water is being trapped in the boot and can be mopped up. Will take a closer look this weekend! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts