XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have tips on how to open the glove compartment. I have to keep pressing the touch sensitive button numerous times before it opens and drops down.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
opens first time every time for me....but is a nightmare to find in the dark. I have to use the touch sensitive overhead lights first.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Try licking the tip of your finger first then wipe it off, just so the end of your finger is moist. Works every time!

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
What do you people do in your cars :?:
I think that I opened the glove box in my 2.7,with a total mileage of about 18000, less than half a dozen times.
In my present Portfolio, I have yet to open it and I have done about 4000 :?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
pekem said:
What do you people do in your cars :?:
I think that I opened the glove box in my2.7,with a total mileage of about 18000, less than half a dozen times.
In my present Portfolio, I have yet to open it and I have done about 4000 :?
But where do you keep your sweets? :eek:

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Sweets are in the cubby by my elbow :)
I have always thought that the glove compartment was where you hide the k******s
when the wife suddenly wants a trip to town; now I can't be a***d with all that :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I keep gloves in mine. I have a spare set of those diesel gloves for when the fuel station has none :D I hate the smell of derv on my hands. The glove box opens everytime for me... It seems you have to prod your finger at it directly as if poking it rather than coming in at a angle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
since the climate change, I don't put gloves in the glovebox anymore.
Meaning more space for books, pencils, music cds, keys of my home, my mothers house, my mistresses house, a mini umbrella, headphones, portable gps, sweets, sunglasses.

Not being able to open the box would be disastrous for me, since I will need daily access to it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was told by my dealer that you should use two fingers to press the button. It seemed to work wen they demonstrated it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Boss Hogg 22 said:
Anybody have tips on how to open the glove compartment. I have to keep pressing the touch sensitive button numerous times before it opens and drops down.
Thanks
Dave
Honestly, they could have done a better job at it. Even a larger bullseye would help.

·
Registered
294 Posts
B3NN L said:
Try licking the tip of your finger first then wipe it off, just so the end of your finger is moist. Works every time!
...and not just with your glovebox button either! :roll:

·
Registered
505 Posts
My wife is partially sighted which means it is trial and error for her to find the bullseye - thankfully, because I have the XFR, there is an R just above the bullseye which she can feel by touch to work out where to press - not ideal but it works eventually (the XJ I had previously had a nice big chrome button that was much better)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have found that I cannot open the glove compartment with my thumb, but if I use the tip of my index finger (straight, like you're pointing at it) it works all the time.
It seems as the outer ring sensor needs to sense some free space around the finger pressing the "button" or it will think it's being brushed by a knee and won't open.

There is a quite poor illustration in the manual to show the correct method of pressing the button, but it is quite hard to make sense of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice- I'll give them all a try. For those of you who are interested in the content of the Glove compartment - Maynards Sports Gums or Midget Gems when I can open it!
Cheers
Dave :cool:

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Are you on a weight reducing diet perhaps :?:
It is the only reason I can think of that would cause you to ignore the most obvious place, the centre armrest cubby to leave your "sweeties", rather than put the life of yourself and others at risk trying to open that infernal glove box :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
We are now producing the veneered fascia's minus the button hole for next year so either they are moving the sensor somwhere else or planning on a handle type glove box. Not sure if I was allowed to tell you that but what the hell :lol:

·
Registered
628 Posts
jagworker said:
We are now producing the veneered fascia's minus the button hole for next year so either they are moving the sensor somwhere else or planning on a handle type glove box. Not sure if I was allowed to tell you that but what the hell :lol:
I wonder if it will be able to be retroed to earlier models. It really could have been a better design. No one should have to use another area of the car for what would normally go into the glovebox. But then again, whats normal! :p

1 - 20 of 63 Posts