XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 2.7d last June with 59k on the clock and a good service history. Within a week, the DPF light came on and it wouldn't regenerate. Luckily the dealer split the cost of a new DPF with me and I figured I was back on track with a car that should outlive me. It's a Jaguar, after all.

I have to say that it's the worst car I've owned. I got rid of my MG ZT V6 just because I thought it was getting on a bit and I should get something more economic. Brim to brim, it's getting about the same MPG doing exactly the same sort of driving. The computer says 38mpg over a tank. Brim to brim tests put it closer to 28mpg.

I do 40 miles each way for work at an average of about 40mph. Most of it is sitting at 50 to 60mph.

The DPF light comes on every 4 or 5 weeks. I take it the longer route home where I do more of the journey on the motorway and it goes off after about 25 miles. I'm guessing this is probably normal behaviour?

But I get other weird problems as well...

If it's wet - i.e. raining hard or I take it through the car wash, it comes up with an error saying that it can't apply the parking brake. This only goes off once the car has been off for a while.

As an experiment, I drove my usual route in 'S' mode for a couple of days. The MPG on the computer goes up significantly. On my 40 miles commute, we're talking about 38 in 'D' and 45+ in 'S'. But in 'S' mode, towards the end of my journey, I get an error saying low engine oil pressure when I'm stopped in traffic with the car in gear. If I put the car in neutral and blip the throttle even a tiny amount, the light goes out. Back into 'S' and it comes on again. I reverted back to driving in 'D' and it hasn't happened again.

I've checked the oil and although it's at the top end, it's not going up so I don't think there's anything sinister there.

It's been to my trusted independent garage a couple of times for him to run diags and it comes back with about 4 pages of errors. He clears them and they stay away for a week and then come back. Just about everything has a fit. Mostly things like losing connection to different things. Might be the stereo, or a wing mirror or vent or something else seemingly random. Never anything that looks serious. No regen failures or anything like that. The guy who looks at it can't make head nor tail and he's a Jag fan with a new XE.

When it's behaving, I love this car. I love driving it. I love everything about it. But I have zero confidence in it. I've just bought my other half a 20 year old MGF for less than £1500 and I have more faith in that than my Jag.

So, have I just got a lemon? Should I call it a day and get shot? Or is there something anyone can glean from what I've said to throw any light on the problem? I want someone to say "Ah! I had this and it was the ?????". If it's reasonable, I'll spend the money.

Anyone throw me a lifeline?

Andy

·
Administrator
22,508 Posts
I bought my 08 2.7d last June with 59k on the clock and a good service history. Within a week, the DPF light came on and it wouldn't regenerate. Luckily the dealer split the cost of a new DPF with me and I figured I was back on track with a car that should outlive me. It's a Jaguar, after all.

I have to say that it's the worst car I've owned. I got rid of my MG ZT V6 just because I thought it was getting on a bit and I should get something more economic. Brim to brim, it's getting about the same MPG doing exactly the same sort of driving. The computer says 38mpg over a tank. Brim to brim tests put it closer to 28mpg.

I do 40 miles each way for work at an average of about 40mph. Most of it is sitting at 50 to 60mph.

The DPF light comes on every 4 or 5 weeks. I take it the longer route home where I do more of the journey on the motorway and it goes off after about 25 miles. I'm guessing this is probably normal behaviour?

But I get other weird problems as well...

If it's wet - i.e. raining hard or I take it through the car wash, it comes up with an error saying that it can't apply the parking brake. This only goes off once the car has been off for a while.

As an experiment, I drove my usual route in 'S' mode for a couple of days. The MPG on the computer goes up significantly. On my 40 miles commute, we're talking about 38 in 'D' and 45+ in 'S'. But in 'S' mode, towards the end of my journey, I get an error saying low engine oil pressure when I'm stopped in traffic with the car in gear. If I put the car in neutral and blip the throttle even a tiny amount, the light goes out. Back into 'S' and it comes on again. I reverted back to driving in 'D' and it hasn't happened again.

I've checked the oil and although it's at the top end, it's not going up so I don't think there's anything sinister there.

It's been to my trusted independent garage a couple of times for him to run diags and it comes back with about 4 pages of errors. He clears them and they stay away for a week and then come back. Just about everything has a fit. Mostly things like losing connection to different things. Might be the stereo, or a wing mirror or vent or something else seemingly random. Never anything that looks serious. No regen failures or anything like that. The guy who looks at it can't make head nor tail and he's a Jag fan with a new XE.

When it's behaving, I love this car. I love driving it. I love everything about it. But I have zero confidence in it. I've just bought my other half a 20 year old MGF for less than £1500 and I have more faith in that than my Jag.

So, have I just got a lemon? Should I call it a day and get shot? Or is there something anyone can glean from what I've said to throw any light on the problem? I want someone to say "Ah! I had this and it was the ?????". If it's reasonable, I'll spend the money.

Anyone throw me a lifeline?

Andy
The answer lies via Search :)
All of the issues you have highlighted have been experienced long ago by other owners including myself.
Once the issues you have/are suffering are addressed by a Jaguar approved agent I am sure you will be able to enjoy the car for many more miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer lies via Search :)
All of the issues you have highlighted have been experienced long ago by other owners including myself.
Once the issues you have/are suffering are addressed by a Jaguar approved agent I am sure you will be able to enjoy the car for many more miles.
I'd beg to differ. Unless the search on here is broken at the moment. Searching for 3 different terms, the results are all exactly the same and don't appear related. Sorry to appear gruff, but have you got an actual answer?

Community is an important part of car ownership in this day and age. I've asked a few questions in MG communities about the MG and in 10 minutes I'd probably get 10 constructive replies vs zero telling me to search and go to an approved agent. But thank you anyway. You've just pushed the needle a bit further to the "Get rid of it" end of the dial.

·
Administrator
22,508 Posts
I can only think that Search is as you say "broken”.
We will have to investigate. My point remains valid, take your car to an authorised service agent and I am sure they will resolve your issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry Andy, I have no lifeline for you. All I can say to cheer you up is that the four pages of faults you keep getting may all relate to one or two 'real' faults on the car, so things may not be quite so bad as you think.
Having the DPF come on every 4/5 weeks seems entirely wrong to me, so perhaps that's a place to start digging. Get all the engine/exhaust sensors that relate to the DPF checked over. If you haven't already.
My old 2.2 XF used to do 37mpg with no proper long runs, as comparisopn to your 2.7. It's definitey wierd the way you get more mpg when in S mode. Has the car been fully serviced since you had it? Normally there's no reaseon to not trust service history, but with so many issues I'd like to have my own verification that it's been serviced recently, even if that means paying myself.
If your indy workshop is having difficulty tracing the faults, take it elsewhere. You could even take it to a main dealer for assessment (which is not cheap, but hey, desperate times...), get them to do you a report on everything they find and are recommending you replace, then take the car to your indy garage to have the work done.

I feel really sorry for you, I got rid of my XF at around 7 years old exactly because I felt it was at an age where things can get expensive really quickly, even tho the car had been faultless during my ownership.
Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Dr Morbius. Generally, I don't do short journeys but the DPF coming on always coincides with when I've done half a dozen short journeys over 3 or 4 days. But it goes out easily and the diags don't show anything on that.

It had a full service about 3000 miles ago. I trust the guy who did it so I'm confident that he's done everything he said he'd do.

One thing, and I'd sort of discounted this and forgotten but some Googling brought it to mind. Twice, the mechanic has asked if I've ever let the battery go dead. He said he usually sees weird stuff like this after the battery has been run right down. I have had 2 occasions when I've picked my other half up where I've stopped with the engine off but the ignition on and got the battery warning light. I'm talking about 5 or 10 minutes. I suspect this car was stood for some time. The bits where the boot shuts and inside the bonnet in places was full of dead leaves when I bought it. A volt meter gives 14.2v when the engine is running. That drops to as low as 11.5v when you turn the engine off. Maybe it's worth chucking another £150 at it and having a decent new battery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
11.5v is way too low for a healthy battery. Jaguar forums are littered with folks having all manner of faults due to battery problems. It seems that errors start cascading through the car when the battery is on the way out. As It's a fairly cheap and simple job to fit a replacement battery, this is something I would definitely recommend. I have no idea what the price of a decent battery is, but I'd urge you not to buy cheap, it's such a critical part of modern cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, I'll give that a bash then. I was going to go for the Yuasa 100aH, 900a battery from Halfords. It's about £130. I've no idea if that's cheap or not.

I just don't think a low mileage (ish) Jaguar should be the sort of car where you're nervous all the the time when you're out in it. I've had 32 different cars over the years and this is the first one I've had that makes me feel like that. Even the £120 Avenger estate I had when I was 18 gave me more worry free motoring than this has so far :)

Anyway, thanks for your help! I'll give that a bash and see what gives.

·
Registered
219 Posts
<p>
Another vote for the battery here, its not just a Jag thing, most modern cars are very very sensitive to battery voltage and will throw up a Miriad of supposed fault indications if the battery output is not up to scratch. Get a new battery fitted and I think you will find all is well.</p>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers, Warrior. Off down to Halfords this morning to get it sorted. Not sure if anyone will see this and be able to reply in time but I'm going to ask a really daft question... So, Halfords fit my new battery. Will it be dead? Or will it have been charged? Apart from getting it home which is less than a mile, the next run will be about 40 miles tomorrow morning (50 if I take the scenic route).

I'm just hoping I can find the radio code!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to add, the other car is an MGF. I suspect the battery in that is about as powerful as a AAA so I don't fancy my chances of jump starting it with leads.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Not sure if anyone will see this and be able to reply in time but I'm going to ask a really daft question... So, Halfords fit my new battery. Will it be dead? Or will it have been charged?
Simple answer.
Get Halfords to test the battery before they install it. If it's not fully charged, insist on another battery.
Every new battery I have ever bought has been fully charged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers, Philocd. It was indeed fully charged.

I did a bit more investigation. With the old battery, as soon as I switched the engine off, the voltage started dropping and I watched it go down to about 11.5v in a minute or 2. With the new battery, it dropped to 12.4 when I switched the engine off. I spent a good few minutes setting the clock, etc, and it stayed at 12.4v the whole time. Be interesting to see if that cures the issues!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The new battery will be fully charged, and a its a good move to get Halfords to do the swap as they can have the hassle of removing the clamp bolt which is some times prone to seizing in place where it it screws through the boot floor and picks up corrosion from the underside.

·
Registered
2010 XFS PL. Porcelain, B&W , HID bi xenon, rear camera.
63 Posts
Good Evening Warrior.
Your reply at 12.03pm. got me thinking, I will probably need a new battery soon for my XF so bearing in mind what you said about the clamp seizing I checked whether mine would just unscrew. It didn't. I noticed that under the boot the clamp has a 10mm AF nut, does one have to remove this before getting the clamp to unscrew. This nut also did not undo either. I've put Plus Gas on bit sticking out, but thinking about getting the clamp off I feel it could be disastrous if things go wrong. Is there a secret way out of the problem?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The nut underneath the car is captive (welded to the floor) and the stud corrodes, it is a bad design and can be a real pain to remove. I would recommemd giving the portion which protrudes underneath a good clean up, and then plenty of penetrating oil above and below 24 hours before you attempt to remove it. access to the top portion is difficult because of the design of the fixing with the clamp block in the way but try to squirt some oil in and let it run down inside the clamp block. Here is an old thread I started about the problem https://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/27090-Battery-Clamp-Poor-Design

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I'd beg to differ. Unless the search on here is broken at the moment. Searching for 3 different terms, the results are all exactly the same and don't appear related. Sorry to appear gruff, but have you got an actual answer?

Community is an important part of car ownership in this day and age. I've asked a few questions in MG communities about the MG and in 10 minutes I'd probably get 10 constructive replies vs zero telling me to search and go to an approved agent. But thank you anyway. You've just pushed the needle a bit further to the "Get rid of it" end of the dial.
Hello Andy, and welcome.

It's my impression, that we Jaguar owners, at least XF owners, are not DIY types. Perhaps owners of older more classic Jaguars are. You are right, that in many other car communities, you quickly get answers to even complicated technical questions, since everybody seems to repair, service and even modify their cars themselves. That is not so common in this forum, even though we've had the odd member servicing their XF's or changing the brakes themselves.

Another thing is, that this forum has... Well, deteriorated is such a negative word, but let's say it has changed in the past few years. When the XF came out in 2008, it was a very good car on par with or even better than the competitors. Additionally, Jaguar was at the very top of consumers' satisfaction surveys like J.D. Powers in the US. The XF was faceliftet in late 2011 for the 2012 model year, and that was also a very good car improved in many ways.

Unfortunately, Jaguar and JLR as a whole seems to have been going downhill since then. The completely new XF launched in 2015 was perhaps alright back then, but it quickly became dated, when the competitors launched new and very good cars. Jaguar also launched a new series of engines called Ingenium, but unfortunately they weren't very succesful and didn't do well compared to the engines of the competitors. In the same time, Jaguar (and JLR) has fallen to the absolute bottom of consumers' satisfaction surveys.

All in all, it's my impression, the current XF isn't as attractive, as the first XF was ten years ago. That has had an effect on this forum. Several members have disappeared, and we haven't had an accession of new members. Apparently only very few have bought the new XF. The few of us left, are mostly discussing the future of JLR, where we have seen some dire predictions. We are also discussing the electric Jaguar I-Pace, which was touted as the saviour and future of Jaguar, but which seem to have a lot of quality issues, and now faces tough competition. I don't know, if other members agree with me on this, but that's how I see it. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes. English is not my first language, so I blame it on that, if I've offended anyone. I didn't mean to.

P.S: I agree on the battery as a possible cause of your problems. On my old 2009MY XF, the cooling ventilator started running continuously, when the battery went bad, and I had to charge the battery to be able to start the car. I must admit that I sold the car, so I don't know for sure, if it helped to change the battery.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think there are still plenty of DIY owners around, but personally I've always felt that the XF is generally so reliable that there isn't much to discuss, I've had mine for almost 6 years and have needed very little troubleshooting info in that time, but if you go on certain other forums (no names but I've owned some of them myself) the forum is full of threads asking for advice about x & y failures etc, but on here its more discussions on BREXIT and potential new models, so that has to be a good thing in my eyes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Andy - just to add my pennies worth....
As I have experienced myself, these cars are very sensitive to voltage and, as has been stated, all sorts of faults appear with low battery voltage. From info. on your old battery, it was definitely needing replaced.
I too hope your new battery will cure may of your issues.

As for your fuel consumption - 28 is way too low for the sort of driving you are doing. Given the DPF issues I'm wondering if you have a over-fueling issue (i.e. running very 'rich').
Once your get the number of recurring faults under control (with new battery), if you're still getting poor MPG and DPF blockages, get another read to see if that shows up anything.
If is over fueling could be any number of route causes but hopefully the diagnostics will show something up. Other than that a good mechanic with diesel knowledge would be able to check out most likely 'mechanical causes (e.g. cruddy EGR valve, bad fuel injector(s) etc.). Also, as a long shot, just check there isn't an aftermarket tuning box fitted!

Although more money (~£100) I've read a lot of good reports about hydrogen (carbon) cleaning, particularly on older diesels. There's lots of info. on-line. Also, the main companies seem to do a full diagnostic as part of the process. I'm contemplating having it done.
Anyone on here with any personal experience they can share?

·
Registered
2010 XFS PL. Porcelain, B&W , HID bi xenon, rear camera.
63 Posts
Thanks Warrior for your 9.30pm reply to my query about the battery clamp screw. I read your ref. re your earlier post, I'll just have to go ahead and hope all turns out well after getting some penetrating oil down from the top as you suggest.
Thanks again, a not very hopeful Dos.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts