XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quickie :lol:

I got into my car last night after visiting a house, I had to write something down but it was hot so I turned the engine on and put the car in drive (don't normally do this but I was concentrating), once I'd finished I took the park brake off and pressed the pedal but it just revved. I noticed the 'D' was flashing. I put it into neutral and then tried again - no luck, same with reverse.

Turned the car off and on again and all was fine..... normal??? :?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi :D

The same thing happened to me sometime ago in connection to the "D" flashing, after we had spoken to the dealership they claimed that if you try and put the car into drive before the gear selector has risen to full height it will flash as a safety feature, the dealership showed us whilst we where there and it did it again, then he did it again but allowed the gear selector to rise to full height and it worked time and time again, he did also say that if you are stationery for a long period of time and you leave the car in drive this again will cause the "D" to flash.

Hope that help we have had no more problems since.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Phew - got my XF at the weekend and had this happen to me today. Parked in the garage at work and then was going out at lunch time, put the car into D and the D light starts flashing. Start to panic when I read all the old posts about gear selection recalls and none issues. Mine is 2008 so well out of Jag warranty, although I did get a 12 month warranty from the dealer.

Anyway a check in the manual this evening threw up this (page 136 in the pdf version) so feeling a bit more reassured that I haven't bought a dog.

"Note: If the brake pedal is released too early during selector rotation from P or N to a driving range (R, D or S), then the selected range will not be engaged. The selected range will flash
on the selector and message centre displays. To obtain the selected range, press the brake pedal, select P or N and reselect the required range, ensuring the brake pedal is depressed."

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Brake pedal and Drive interlock are required by NHTSA to protect American drivers unfamiliar with the intricacies of automatic gearboxes.

My Audi even requires that the clutch pedal be depressed* before the starter will engage, on a manual gearbox car!!, and forget left foot braking any Audi with the throttle on because the ECU will close the electronic throttle down to idle.

One does wonder why authorities feel the need to prevent idiots from making simple operating mistakes while starting the car or while driving. Shouldn't one have better skills than that before putting two tonnes of metal into motion?

* yes I know you ought to do this but some of us know you can also start the car while in neutral instead, nice to have that choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brake pedal and Drive interlock are required by NHTSA to protect American drivers unfamiliar with the intricacies of automatic gearboxes.

Yeah, more nanny crap to protect us from ourselves. :mad: Sometime the gene pool needs to be deepened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts