XF Forum banner

Gearbox fault

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Malcxfs 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 XF, 2.2 diesel. Driving home yesterday there was a whirring noise from the dashboard. I stopped and restarted to see if it would clear. Instead the selector is permanently up and stays on neutral. ‘Gearbox fault” shows and although the engine runs fine, since it’s stuck in neutral it won’t go. Any ideas?

#4 ·
I have read reports of the gear selector failing and getting stuck in various positions resulting in the selector module needing to be replaced - not a horrendously expensive job. But it is rather speculative until the codes are read. Let us know what the garage says tomorrow.

#6 ·
Well you learn something new everyday! Glad it was a relatively simple problem to fix and not too expensive. Thanks for updating.

#8 ·
Interestingly I read a post on another forum where the chap was reporting a similar situation where the heat shield had come loose and was rubbing on the prop shaft. So not such an uncommon occurrence!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.