XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Has anyone encounted the problem of the XF refusing to go into drive, over the last few days my wife and I have started the car as we do every day and the car refuses to go into drive, as you look at the gear selector we just see the "D" flash red and the error message "Gearbox Fault" the only way to resolve this matter it would seem is to turn the car of then on again.
We have spoken to our Jaguar dealership, and they claim we are trying to put the car into gear before the gear selector is fully up.......eh no not the case made a point of waiting five mins last time and still it happens, does not happen all the time just wonder if I am alone in this problem......

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,
Had the same problem on my last 2.7D, It slowley got worse over 1/2 weeks.
The upshot was car would not select any gear and was recovered to jag dealership.
Vehicle was garage bound for one week, due to lack of parts.
Dealership, was aware of this problem!
HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had the same problem several times - dealer said it was because I wasn't pushing hard enough on the brake while selecting "drive" - but I am sure I was!

Richard

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny you should say this. Today - in a church carpark (I kid you not) - I was waiting for my wife, engine off, and, for some reason - in an idle moment - pressed the brake pedal a few times until it was hard (no comments, please). When I came to start it in the usual way - a light pressure on the pedal: ignition only, no start. After checking doors, boot, locks etc, still nothing. I pressed really hard on the pedal and ... away we go. In simulating this "fault" in a less embarrassing environment it seems that after releasing the brake system pressure when the car is switched off, you have to considerably increase the pressure to start.

At least, that's what it looks like atm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first forum and my first post here, despite being an owner since last August.
I had a very similar problem and initially Jaguar were slow to sort it. After three returns to the dealership and a major row, the selector mechanism was replaced. Three weeks in no problems (yet!).

I do wish to make a very serious point however. The reason for the row was that my children and I were put at huge risk, as I attempted to reverse the car into a parking space along a very fast stretch of road and was unable to select reverse or drive. Up to this point Jaguar had failed to resolve the problem on two separate occassions. I implore those suffering from similar problems to get it resolved immediately. Do not wait for further failures.

Incidentally had issues with a fuel filler cap that refused to open. Car is currently in for the second time getting that fixed. I will let you know how they got on with that later.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum squash, at last :)
I am sure that your advice is very sound; no sense in waiting for a disaster.

·
Registered
121 Posts
These gear selection failures seem to mostly or limited to the 2.7 variant is this the case or have people has failures with their 3.0D & 3.0D S or petrol also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts