XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how may of you are considering buying GAP Insurance. If you are, it would be worth looking online. I saved well over a £100 at: http://www.car2cover.co.uk rather than buying directly from my dealer.

Whilst, fortunately, I have not had the missfortune of needing to claim, their pricing was extremely competitive & when I had to make some late policy changes, they (Elaine) were really helpful & did not make an additional charge - which I took as a good sign.

However I would also be interested to hear if anyone has experinced problems making a claim against such 'online' policies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Best price and most comprehensive cover I found was here. Backed by AXA so not cowboy outfit.

http://www.surfandprotect.com

Look at the 'Invoice GAP Insurance plus' product for an equivalent to dealer offering in terms of cover

·
Registered
69 Posts
Read the SMALL PRINT very carefully!
1. Decide what level of cover you want ie RTI (return to invoice) or full car replacement cover.
2. Decide on level of cover. Most policies have an upper limit. With depreciation your gap insurance may fall short.
3. Decide on how long you want the cover to last, if you exchange every 2 years keep the policy at 24 months.
4. CHECK THE SMALL PRINT, particuarly for theft using keys.
5. Considering the track record of the average insurance companny paying out on fully comp policies, GAP insurance is a good idea on any new car to make up any differences due to depreciation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, could someone please summary what GAP insurance is and how it works?

I've just placed an order for a new XF today and have been sent a load of paper work which the sales guy wants to discuss with me on Wednesday, which includes references to GAP insurance.

Is it worth considering, or is it the equivalent of an extended warranty on a new DVD player i.e. a waste of money?

Would be grateful for the expertise of those on this forum.

Cheers
Neil

PS/. They also want to interest me in Aqua Guard for £150 - again, is it worth it, or can you do it yourself?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum Flat Eric :)
I am sure that in no time at all someone will explain the benefits or otherwise of Gap cover, which has been discussed at some length in other posts.
In the meantime, please tell us all which model, colour and so on you have ordered?
Post here: posting.php?mode=post&f=25

·
Registered
773 Posts
Most of the lecture you are subjected to from Jaguar sales people on handover is a complete waste of time(just give me the key!!!) and not least MONEY as all the items offered such as gap insurance, paint and leather treatment,etc can be done or purchased at much more competative rates elsewhere.The only thing I felt was worth taking up was puncture/tyre insurance with Inchcape for £199 which pays for new tyres for up to 3 years if puncture damage results in a new tyre for which you pay the first £10 of any claim.Open to abuse I would have thought by putting a nail in the edge of your tyre after 20K miles and getting a new one for £10. Naughty Naughty!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I first saw the tyre insurance a few years back and was interested. Then I thought about how many punctures I've had in my last 15 years or so of driving.
I've had 2! Well, I've had 1 and the wife curbed her car and flattened the tyre.
So, £200 every 3 years for arguments sake over the 15 year period, that would have been £1000 spent for 2 tyres :shock: That even makes Kwik fit look competitive!

GAP insurance will pay the difference betwenn the current value of your car and the remaining finance shortfall, but what if you've paid for the car yourself? Will it reinburse your pocket?

·
Registered
102 Posts
zx10ben said:
GAP insurance will pay the difference betwenn the current value of your car and the remaining finance shortfall, but what if you've paid for the car yourself? Will it reinburse your pocket?
It doesn't matter as this makes up the difference (or Gap) between what the insurance company will offer and the price of a new car. In the first year most insurance companies will replace your car with a new one anyway, if this is the case I would negotiate with the gap insurance supplier as they will only be 'on risk' ffrom year 2 onwards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good point Iceman - for the record, surfandprotect are happy to defer in these cases, and actively encourage you to check before you take out a policy.

My advice - Don't assume your insurance does new for old though, double check with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts