XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember where on the forum I saw reference to it, but clearly, there is an issue about brake dust on the rear wheels and the concomitant brake pad and disc wear that fellwo forum members have reported. Certainly, I have never known a car where the back wheels suffered from brake dust pollution to anything like such a degree. And yet, in the JD Power survey, the XF gets No 1 spot for braking!! Regardless of the brake dust and pad wear issue, what is so particularly special about the braking on this car? It seems satisfactory enough, but, for heaven's sake, all of our cars' rear wheels are constantly being covered in brake dust in a most unnatural and hitherto unforeseen way and others have reported ridiculous premature wear on the pads - how on earth does the XF rank 1st out of 100 cars for braking? It simply makes no sense at all! And what is all this about Jaguar Assist taking hours to turn up or to respond to problems leaving people at the side of the road? Do Jaguar have a proper, efficient and professional support team in place or don't they? And why, honestly, is there this extraordinary secrecy about the malfunctioning Sat Nav? I cannot get my supplying dealer to admit there is a problem at all! Interesting that the XF does shamefully - (let's face it) - under Reliability in the JD Power - hardly surprising in view of all the concerns that forum members have written about. It's a little tricky to keep the faith, I find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Martin, I disagree with most of your comments. XF owners who are members of this and other forums inevitably will post details of the problems they have experienced. That does not mean every owner has had the same problems. I have not experienced the brake dust accumulation you mention. My XF has just had it's first service after 14,000 miles and there is 70% wear remaining on the brake pads. I have had no difficulty with the sat nav before and after the upgrade and cannot help but think that most of the complaints arise from not fully understanding and operating the system. I have had cause to use Jaguar service on 2 occasions, the second being caused by my own fault. On both occasions I received excellent support with the technician arriving within the hour. I have also had excellent service from my dealer. Thus whatever JD Power or any other organisation reports, I can only relate that my own experience of XF ownership in the past 12 months has been terrific.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have noticed the brake dust and it's a right pain in the ar*e - just washed yesterday and only driven 20 miles today and it's managed to get back to how it was. :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The rear discs on my March 2008 2.7D were badly scored by the time the car had covered 200 miles and the rear (Cygnus) wheels always seemed to be covered in brake dust. The dealer fitted new rear discs at 3000 miles when a faulty caliper was replaced under warranty, however the new discs soon became as badly scored as the originals. In contrast the Selenas on my 3.0 D S Portfolio collect very little brake dust and all four disc are still glass smooth after 800 miles.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've now covered just over 2,000 miles in my car and have no problems with scored discs or excessive brake dust.

Today I've driven 90 miles and the wheels still look virtually as clean as they were when I washed them yesterday

·
Registered
242 Posts
I cant say that I have really had this problem and the brake dust on wheels is certainly no worse on the XF than on the other cars we have in the family.
Could it be down to the design of the wheels? Perhaps certain styles will pull the brake dust (through the air flow) through the wheel more than others.
Might be interesting to have a Pekem Poll to identify whether certain styles are worse than others?
Mine is on 18 inch Venus wheels?

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Martin said:
I can't remember where on the forum I saw reference to it, but clearly, there is an issue about brake dust on the rear wheels and the concomitant brake pad and disc wear that fellwo forum members have reported.
Let us see if this is really a problem, visit here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=958

Martin said:
And what is all this about Jaguar Assist taking hours to turn up or to respond to problems leaving people at the side of the road?
Do Jaguar have a proper, efficient and professional support team in place or don't they
?
You write as if this was a regular occurrence but in truth I can’t remember reading that many people have had to wait very long, indeed mostly Jaguar Assistance has been praised.

Martin said:
And why, honestly, is there this extraordinary secrecy about the malfunctioning Sat Nav? I cannot get my supplying dealer to admit there is a problem at all!
This secrecy that you allege is only in relation to your dealer I think. Everyone else, in the main, has been attended to in a professional manner.
If you have quoted the information concerning the upgrade to your dealer, posted elsewhere, and have failed to make progress I suggest that you visit another dealer. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts