XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ..... Here's one for you all. I found myself in the awkward predicament of finding myself between fuel stations and getting pretty low on fuel. My fuel range computer reading was saying I had 2km left in the tank when I finally pulled up on the garage forecourt. My question is.. How low can it go? Has anyone gone to 0 km or 0 Miles and still kept going? I had to admit to being a little bit worried.

·
Administrator
22,501 Posts
Jules said:
OK ..... Here's one for you all. I found myself in the awkward predicament of finding myself between fuel stations and getting pretty low on fuel. My fuel range computer reading was saying I had 2km left in the tank when I finally pulled up on the garage forecourt. My question is.. How low can it go? Has anyone gone to 0 km or 0 Miles and still kept going? I had to admit to being a little bit worried.
Jules, I would not trust that meter anymore than I would the speedo, it may well be giving a false reading. The lowest I have gone down to was about 12 miles but I can tell you I was very relieved to get to a station to fill up.
Because of a few fuel delivery difficulties associated with tanker drivers in the recent past in the UK I now keep my car topped up. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
On the diesel you can take your car right down to zero. Reason being that it has a reserve in the tank of two gallons. If it needs to open the reserve then it puts the car into restricted performance when it does. Therefore you can run the diesel on zero for quite some time before restricted performance starts and even then you have a fair whack of miles before you need to fill as long as you can live with the restricted performance. The car will however when in that mode bring it to a stop before you run out completely to prevent damage.

Not sure if the petrol is identical

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What will they think of next? That's very interesting and I'm guessing a lot of people would not have known that. I'm not prepared to be the petrol tester though. Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Certainly interesting & somewhat reassuring to learn that.
a few weeks ago, i found myself on a tesco forecourt at the rear of a queqe of 4 cars with 1 mile showing on my clock..had awful visions of pushing it the last 20 yds.
all went well & i spent a small fortune filling up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts