XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If ever your fuel flap refuses to pop open in the usual way, carefully insert a plastic card (not your only credit card) in the top edge just to provide a bit of extra springiness. Press the flap in the centre in the usual way and hopefully it will pop the flap.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum john_hififan :)
I have to say your advice is the same as I was given over the telephone by Jaguar Assistance prior to them attending when my flap refused to open. Sad news is that it did not work for the technician when he tried to practice what was being preached. What did work however, was an ECU re-set which was said to discharge a capacitor. Whether this was the case or whether it just needed another go at locking the car, walking away for a couple of minutes and then trying to open the flap in the usual way I will never know, because my dealer later applied some grease and, touch wood, it has been fine ever since. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my XF for a month now, no such probs with fuel cap. Just give it a firm push about and inch from the edge and mine opens.
Sods law when I next refuel it will refuse to open :D

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
PaulXF said:
Had my XF for a month now, no such probs with fuel cap. Just give it a firm push about and inch from the edge and mine opens.
Sods law when I next refuel it will refuse to open :D
You are you just being a Jonah :lol:
I would think that Jaguar have been kicked more about this issue than probably any other. It is reasonable to assume that Jaguar produced a fix for your car, and that which many complained of in the past will not ever be an issue for you.
Famous last words :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Happened to me Thusday.
I went to refuel my XF after little snow weather, I made the mistake the dealer told me not to do, I pushed on the wrong place to open fuel cap. I was pesting again myself because each time I need to refuel, I always pay attention to push the right place.
Could'nt find Jaguar Assistance number quickly and find my dealer number.
Funny, but as soon as I said I have an XF, they forward my call to the team manger who seems to receive a lot of call about this pb. He explain me the plastic tips which also work for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You know I was just about to start a new thread yesterday. Had my XF since June 08, fuel cap was replaced late October. Guess what happened AGAIN yesterday - yes fuel flap stuck again.

Managed to prise open just a little and squirted some WD 40 inside and hey presto - the bloody thing opened. Not convinced it will not need another visit to the dealership.

My missus response "and your considering buying another XF !!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happened to me too. I opened the trunk with the button inside the car and then I tried again and the flap opened effortlessy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi all,

Had same problem with fuel cap refused to open for the wife, took it straight to local dealership who and I state hime word for word "Jaguar are doing factory recall on all models sold after Sept 08" as their is a fault with the spring.......Mine now working fine :p

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum JACKAROO :)
Shame that you did not find us earlier :(
Issues surrounding the fuel flap have been thoroughly discussed for ages :)
As you say, the problem is now resolved and therefore not one that will trouble buyers today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Over the past year my XF SV8 has been back to the dealership for two upgrades to the fuel filler cap flap. It has been working perfectly until Monday this week. So back to the dealership and they have:

1. carried out the work according to recall K037
2. replaced the fuel filler bowl
3. fitted an improved spring behind the fuel filler flap.

Works well at the moment - will see how it performs in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My new XFR has exactly the same problem. I have to push the flap 2 -3 times before it will open. It seems poor that this flaw is still not fixed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Le Chef said:
My new XFR has exactly the same problem. I have to push the flap 2 -3 times before it will open. It seems poor that this flaw is still not fixed.
The opening problem has been fixed on all the new XF's and unless you have been unlucky and got a faulty one it may be that you are pressing it in the wrong place, it needs to be pressed about one third in from the front edge of the flap to get it to open consistently (as per the manual).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pressing problems

I'm pressing it where I'm supposed to but it's reluctant to open. Considering that the XFR makes Dave Allen and Graham Kerr look like teetotalers that's not a good thing...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts