XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 5 minutes on filling station forecourt recently trying to open Fuel flap.No success after trying everything including locking,unlocking and gentle pushing on the flap.Clicking noises from latch but would not open so drove to dealer who kept the car an hour and managed to open the flap I think by using plenty of WD 40 and it has worked ok since.Dealer ordered a new latch and they are fitting this tomorrow,but they informed me that they had already fitted new latches to recently supplied XFs which only confirms issues posted on another Forum that there can be a problem which is a disaster if your fuel in the tank is low.

Still waiting to hear if the modified rear brake discs are available as the scoring seems to be getting worse now after 2350 miles so I hope the pads will be changed too.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
hydrajaws said:
Spent 5 minutes on filling station forecourt recently trying to open Fuel flap.No success after trying everything including locking,unlocking and gentle pushing on the flap.Clicking noises from latch but would not open so drove to dealer who kept the car an hour and managed to open the flap I think by using plenty of WD 40 and it has worked ok since.Dealer ordered a new latch and they are fitting this tomorrow,but they informed me that they had already fitted new latches to recently supplied XFs which only confirms issues posted on another Forum that there can be a problem which is a disaster if your fuel in the tank is low.

Still waiting to hear if the modified rear brake discs are available as the scoring seems to be getting worse now after 2350 miles so I hope the pads will be changed too.
I am waiting for a new something or other from my dealer to tackle the same problem but it can't be done until next week. However, they did discover a "workaround" as the computer people say, which involves placing the palm of the hand firmly on the lower half of the filler flap and then, whilst maintaining pressure, sweeping upwards. It is as if the latch, I will call it that, needs lifting up and over in order to become free. That's clear to me and I hope it is to others.
It has been consistent so far so I am now thinking it may be a mechanical error rather than electronic which was my first thought after I recently appeared to solve the problem by resetting the ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today my fuel flap wouln't open :roll:, previously its been difficult a few times but today no joy at all. Phoned Jaguar Assist, they know the problem and there is a trick to get you fuelled again. Take a plastic card that won't matter if it breaks, ie not your only credit card. Carefully and at your own risk, insert about 1/3 into the gap at the top of the fuel flap, gently press to lever out the fuel flap. Then press the fuel flap in, in the centre as you usually would, and hopefully the extra springiness that the card gives will pop the fuel flap open. If the fuel flap is not perfectly alligned it will keep happening so best get to your dealer. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
john_hififan said:
Today my fuel flap wouln't open :roll:, previously its been difficult a few times but today no joy at all. Phoned Jaguar Assist, they know the problem and there is a trick to get you fuelled again. Take a plastic card that won't matter if it breaks, ie not your only credit card. Carefully and at your own risk, insert about 1/3 into the gap at the top of the fuel flap, gently press to lever out the fuel flap. Then press the fuel flap in, in the centre as you usually would, and hopefully the extra springiness that the card gives will pop the fuel flap open. If the fuel flap is not perfectly alligned it will keep happening so best get to your dealer. Hope this helps.
Well there you are, whatever works for you. I suspect that there is more than one type of Flap failure which will require, in some cases, a new assembly, others will find that greasing and adjustment to the catch does the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had several issues with the filler flap and Jag are aware of it. last week I had to phone jag assist to come out as even the trick with the credit card did not work
He shaved a piece of the plastic off the arm on the flap but the problem was the little motors on the flap mechanism
I have now had my whole mechanism replaced and the dealer told me they have done about 2 of these a week
I would pester your dealer to replace the motors as it is a real pain when you are low on fuel and stranded on the forecourt with people laughing at you trying to open a simple thing like a fuel filler flap

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hydrajaws,

I have had the same problem with my XF-- owned for one tank full of petrol.

My supplying dealer have been very helpful and have booked me in to sort it out but i think i have sorted it myself with some vaseline cream out of the wife's cupboard --(no jokes needed about the cream thanks).

My technique is---slap some vaseline onto the little black plastic finger that goes into the locking mechanism and it lets go more easily--also---when you are opening the fuel filler cover from a closed position--press right on the outside tip of the flap on the left hand side and it bends the cover inwards slightly just a couple of millimeters--this then causes the black plastic finger to release smoothly from it's locked/retained position--hey presto un-locked.

There you go--no more standing at the petrol pump like a prat!

I am absolutely chuffed with my new Jaguar--the XF is a real hit with me--great car.

Hope the vaseline works for you!

Reecy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem for me. The trick with the plastic card worked (I used the card with the Jag assistance number from the manual). I have repeated and appears to be effective.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
profserious and Reecy neither of you indicate which model car you have, 2,7 or 3.00, and so it is not possible to be definite. However, just about everybody else that has suffered the issue that this topic refers to has probably forgotten about the problems we all had with our 2,7 cars.
We have forgotten because a lasting fix, a modification, was applied and the issue was completely eradicated in the later 3,00 models. :)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
There is an official customer service "recall" on this component. All 2009 model year XF were to be retro fitted with a stronger spring mechanism.

The "trick" to opening the stuck one was to press firmly about 2/3 of the way from the hinge of the flap and release. If that didn't work then you were off to the dealer to have it dismantled and replaced with the upgraded part.

Jaguar changed them all even though some were not defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Suffered the same problem today with a stuck fuel filler cap. I could not open it when at the pump and had to leave for home with only a 50 mile range left.
Managed to open it eventually when home.
Thanks to your tips I have now smeared some grease on the black trigger mechanism to hopefully fill my tank tomorrow before booking the car in to the dealer to fix.
What a nightmare. Jaguar should really come up with a release button inside the car as I had in my Audi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sticking fuel cap cover

Has anybody else suffered with a sticking fuel cap cover? H A Fox tells me it is a common fault with the XF and they ave a simple mod to correct it

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Has anybody else suffered with a sticking fuel cap cover? H A Fox tells me it is a common fault with the XF and they ave a simple mod to correct it
Here you are bandjie , searching is always worth while :)
In fact there is more on this subject in other threads. I would say that HA Fox should have said that it was a common problem on the early cars, not today's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the same trouble to open the Flap, so local agent asked me to press firmly about 2/3 of the way from the hinge of the flap and release, it works fine now. But I get another problem, the flap get flat with the side panel, it just get sunken. Is it possible to adjust it?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
I got the same trouble to open the Flap, so local agent asked me to press firmly about 2/3 of the way from the hinge of the flap and release, it works fine now. But I get another problem, the flap get flat with the side panel, it just get sunken. Is it possible to adjust it?
Has you car had the modification to the filler bowl carried out :?:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the fuel filler cap mechanism sorted under warranty just under a year ago but have noticed lately that the cap is losing its alignment again and getting a little stiff to open - can I get is fixed a second time under warranty?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had the fuel filler cap mechanism sorted under warranty just under a year ago but have noticed lately that the cap is losing its alignment again and getting a little stiff to open - can I get is fixed a second time under warranty?
I would have thought that if your car is under warranty then you should get it fixed regardless of the number of times something goes wrong. I wouldn't let my dealer try to get out of fixing it again just because they've done it once already. If they don't want to keep doing it under warranty then fix it properly so it doesn't go wrong again would seem to be their best course of action.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I had the factory fix applied a few years ago. Now just as the warranty expired my fuel filler flap won't open consistently, all of a sudden. It appears to be misaligned also.

Ironically, my original one worked fine before Jaguar decided to replace them all.

Anyone had this issue recur?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had the same problem, when i purchased my XF last July it had this issue and my local dealer said they had replaced the fuel filler bowl but i am not so sure as although the flap would open it did not do so very easily, i went to fill up last week and i really struggled to get it to open, in the end i punched it hard with my fist and it popped open. I took the car back to my local dealer and they said that will be £120 please to replace the filler bowl, so i had to remind them that they were supposed to have fixed this problem last July, they then said ok we will do it free of charge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts