XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that is what I am told. :)
In fact Jaguar have devised a cunning plan :lol:
We, those that have been troubled by a sticking fuel filler flap, will discover that when next our car is in the Dealership a new service action will be applied which involves replacing the flap arm with a modified unit which incorporates a larger and stronger release spring.
Anoraks note Action ref no is K037 :geek:
Don't all rush at once :!:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like you're right Pekem, took my car in to Stratstone Aberdeen today to have the Sat Nav OS upgrade while I waited (free of charge and without any quibble :) :) :) ) and they asked if I could give them another few minutes as there was an upgrade using new parts to cure a fuel filler problem - I didn't even have to ask them. Big thumbs up for excellent service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes indeed. I dropped my car at the dealers for a couple of post-delivery snagging repairs and the service item was added to job card.
It must be said that I've not had any filler issues, but the fix is reassuring anyhow.

P

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I experience the fuel flap problem, it is always a pain to refuel the Jag. So I decided contact the dealer.
I went to Jaguar Center last Tuesday to check with him how to solve this issue and they book the change for March 5th.
So I will probably have the new flap system. Will let you know if it does the job better.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is that it appears that what was once a major niggle has be ticked off the "to do" list by Jaguar. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Another XF site is reporting that a dealer has said that there is a recall on the fuel flap.
A bit late for me I have had it done.

gary

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
garyxf said:
Another XF site is reporting that a dealer has said that there is a recall on the fuel flap.

gary
Well there is a moral there somewhere Gary :lol:
Also, the other site poster is wrong to use the alarmist term "recall" :eek:
It is more properly described as a "Service Action" which in other words amounts to an aditional proceedure to be applied when a car is in for service or any other technical matter.
If it were a manufacturer "recall" all owners would have been written to advising of the need to contact a Service Agent without delay :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
pekem said:
garyxf said:

gary
Well there is a moral there somewhere Gary :lol:
Also, the other site poster is wrong to use the alarmist term "recall" :eek:
It is more properly described as a "Service Action" which in other words amounts to an aditional proceedure to be applied when a car is in for service or any other technical matter.
If it were a manufacturer "recall" all owners would have been written to advising of the need to contact a Service Agent without delay :)
I am the poster on the other site. The dealers precise words were "Jaguar recall". They called me and asked that I bring the car in for the fix which will take 20 minutes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The flap update was completed as part of my first service, (without me asking). One reason why my first couple of services will be completed by a jaguar service centre.

I would of thought safety items would be items of recall and others like the fuel flap would be a service fix.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Liquidsilver said:
The flap update was completed as part of my first service, (without me asking). One reason why my first couple of services will be completed by a jaguar service centre.

I would of thought safety items would be items of recall and others like the fuel flap would be a service fix.
You are quite right; it was not a recall. :)
For a list of Jaguar Recalls, a full explanation of how recalls work and the Code of Practice go here:
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fuel flap

I am starting to have problems with my fuel flap :shock:
It worked fine in the beginning, but now after 4 months of use it starts playing up. When it doesn't open I have found that if I press it on the opposite (hinge) side first it will often work afterwards.

This is a 3.0D made in July so it does have the "improved" flap, not the original one that prompted the recall.
Do any of you have problems with this?

I think I read that the September update included a completely new design again :?:
I think I'll take it to the dealer.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Fuel flap

I have not had a problem with mine, yet :!:
However, because of my experience with my old 2.7 whenever I fill up, I have a moment of anxiety; will it open or won't it :?:
Touch wood, so far it has not let me down but mine is not as old as yours xfswede.
That's an "half empty rather than "half full" response :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Hello xfswede,
I have discovered the same problem as you.
My 3.0D was delivered in September. Until a few weeks the fuel flap worked fine.
But now I need 3 or 4 trials to open it :-(
If it isn't getting worse, I think I can life with it.
Anyway I'll try your hint with pressing the opposite side first.
Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts

Uh oh....I hope it isn't catching but I've also suffered a reluctant fuel flap (three or four instances in the last month) and my XF, delivered in August, had shown no signs of any issue previously.

I'll bear in mind the 'hinge-side' tip, thanks, but I'm wondering if it isn't something to do with timing. My local filling station has installed pay-at-the-pump and, not being used to it, I've faffed around with my plastic for a minute or two before trying to refuel, and found I can't open the flap. I've managed to clear the problem each time by locking the car and unlocking it again. But then I started to think that maybe the delay wasn't helping, so now I make a point of opening the fuel flap as soon as I get out of the car, before faffing with my credit card, and (touch wood) it seems to work.

Why should any fuel flap that's behaved fine since new only now start to display a known problem from an earlier design :?: :?: :( .

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

The gasoline powered cars (in Canada) were subject to a recall for this fault and a revised spring and hinge unit were fitted. Mine worked fine before the repair but seems to work OK afterwards as well.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

The fuel flap on my current car has behaved perfectly over the past nine months, but like Pekem I suffered from a temperamental flap on my March 2008 2.7D. I press the flap two inches from the rear edge, listen for the solenoid buzz and then let go. It works every time. :D :D

·
Registered
251 Posts

penultimateblack said:
I press the flap two inches from the rear edge, listen for the solenoid buzz and then let go.
You mean that the flap lock isn't mechanical?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

xfswede said:
penultimateblack said:
I press the flap two inches from the rear edge, listen for the solenoid buzz and then let go.
You mean that the flap lock isn't mechanical?
I think it could be best described as electro-mechanical otherwise why would it lock via the central locking system?

BTW. It is not a bad idea to give the locking mechanism a quick squirt with a silicon spray

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have had this problem and after a few attempts to modify the existing locking mechanism Jaguar provided two different inner cup and arm replacements. The first one was useless, the current version seems ok but the oval cover sits slightly proud of the body. It feels like the spring arm mechanism which is designed to fling open the oval cover (which used to stick slightly and allow the automatic release arm to reset and relock the cover before it had time to open) is must stiffer and has more spring in it to ensure the oval cover cant stick long enough to let the system re-lock. The stiffer arm is pushing the oval cover out a little more thn the original thus the sitting slightly proud of the car lines.

I have this second replacement for about 3 months now and while it doesn't open immediately every time it does open it on the 2nd or 3rd time. Apparently if it fails to open three time in a row the locking mechanism resets and needs to be left alone for over a minute before trying again. A bit of a pain when there is a queue forming behind you!

Not perfect yet, I will be asking Jaguar to come up with a solution which does not sit out from the car and impact on the otherwise nice clean lines.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

Interesting. My filler cap seems to be inset a little since the recall "improvement" was effected.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts