XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2009 XF a couple weeks ago. It had a full tank, and I've just now needed to fill it. Last night I pulled into the gas station and could not get the fuel door to open. I pushed, I pulled, to no avail. I got my manual out and still couldn't figure it out. So I drove home. I have to leave the house in a couple of hours and am worried I won't be able to pump gas. I am hearing that this has been a recurring problem for many models. Can anyone help me? I don't want to break it but I need it to open.

L

·
0 Posts
It occasionally happens. For me twice in the last year and all I had to do was lock and unlock the car and it's then OK with just a slight pressure on the flap and it flips open.

·
Registered
32 Posts
get a pencil place it behind the flap towards the middle,[it will bend as the flap is plastic] and push the flap at the point nearest the rear, it should release, others have used credit cards to the same effect,

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sarah

I've had the same problem very ocasionally, but I've found it's far less likely to happen if I release the fuel flap immediately after I've stopped the car and got out, before doing anything else. If I first put on one of those disposable gloves that filling stations provide (after having carefully prised one out of its dispenser - not always all that easy) or if I look around, stretch my legs or otherwise prevaricate, it's then that my XF seems to say, "not quick enough, if you can't move more quickly than that, I'll assume you've wandered off and I'll shut up shop!". Sounds irrational, maybe, but it's consistent with the 'lock and unlock' fix recommended by Lussac.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
I just got my 2009 XF a couple weeks ago. It had a full tank, and I've just now needed to fill it. Last night I pulled into the gas station and could not get the fuel door to open. I pushed, I pulled, to no avail. I got my manual out and still couldn't figure it out. So I drove home. I have to leave the house in a couple of hours and am worried I won't be able to pump gas. I am hearing that this has been a recurring problem for many models. Can anyone help me? I don't want to break it but I need it to open.
Welcome to the forum sarah :)
If you are in the USA, as I suspect you might be, it would help for you to complete your profile, particularly the information relating to the car.
You say "2009 XF" and to me that means 2008 production and if so it may be that the beneficial modification to the fuel filler that was introduced to the early XF's may not have been applied to your car. It can be checked by going on to the Topix site and in the Owner section, entering your car's VIN number. You will then be able to see if the Field Service Action in relation to the Fuel Filler cap has been dealt with :)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
There is a factory recall for this issue in North America. Any dealer should fix this with the new upgraded part under warranty for a 2009.

G

·
0 Posts
It can be checked by going on to the Topix site and in the Owner section, entering your car's VIN number.
Pekem, at risk of going off topic, I don't seem to be able to access the relevant page where you enter a VIN number as an Owner. Do you need to register on the site first?....clearly I'm being dense..

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Pekem, at risk of going off topic, I don't seem to be able to access the relevant page where you enter a VIN number as an Owner. Do you need to register on the site first?....clearly I'm being dense..
I think you do. It is a long time ago that I may have done and I am sure that Mr Cookie has been assisting me ever since.
So, now we can go back on topic :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Last night I pulled into the gas station and could not get the fuel door to open. I pushed, I pulled, to no avail. I got my manual out and still couldn't figure it out. So I drove home. I have to leave the house in a couple of hours and am worried I won't be able to pump gas. I am hearing that this has been a recurring problem for many models. Can anyone help me? I don't want to break it but I need it to open.
This has happened to 4-5 times over the 20 months I have had the car.
I press the filler cap on the back half and nothing happens.
On each occasion I have been able to "prime" the mechanism by pressing the other (front) half first and then press the correct place.
This has never failed me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts