XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the current cold snap this week, every single morning the rear window has frozen up, and I mean on the inside aswell as the outside. This morning it was dripping onto the rear parcel shelf all the way to work. Left the car parked with sun on rear window and heater on all the way home, parcel shelf not wet, all windows closed, nothing wet in car and just looked outside 11:00 and the rear screen is already iced up again on the inside. Any ideas ? I'm wary of taking the car in and the engineers sepnding many chargeable hours not finding anything.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Welcome to th forum alpi :)
I suspect that your car is going to have to go in one way or the other.
I do remember years ago an Alfa car I had used to keep steaming up on the inside in the Summer. I can imagine that if it had been winter and cold as it is now then I would have had ice on the windows. In the end the cause was discovered to be water was getting in to the car under the rear carpet. After the hole was filled and carpet replaced, under warranty, everything was fine. Who knows, something similar might be happening to you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cant say that I have had any freezing on the inside of the rear window but I have noticed that from delivery mine does steam up inside very easily. I have suspected that there must be some moisture somewhere in the cabin but havent discovered it yet.

Still disappointed with the performance of the rear screen defrost though - sooooo slow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a bodged up rear window seal. It's probably letting in water and, as the temperature drops, the ingressed water is freezing up.

Have you had the rear screen changed under warranty due to the batch of warped ones by any chance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine also misted up last saturday night on the M5 about 7pm. All the windows has a thick mist cover the windows. I always have the climate/AC on so is this another issue with this badly designed car. I had to stop & wipe the windows down because even the front, rear & defrost functions could not clear the windscreens.

The growing list of issues are just unreal

Mine is again back in the dealers(7th time) & its only 14 weeks old. This time they are fitting a complete new sunroof.

They fitted a new fuel filler bowl which was meant fix the fuel door sticking but it still sticks...................unbelievable.........

The seats stopped working
The touch screen freezes
The volume stops working on the right side
The fuel filler door sticks
The doors rattle
The Ipod screen locks up
The sat nav is a joke
Now the car mists up when its cold outside
It refuses to double lock
Rain builds up on the front door windows right in front of the rear mirrors giving visibility issues.
The parking sensors dont always work.
Sunroof rattles loudly

You would think I was joking but I now have videos of all the above
The dealer told me yesterday that Jaguar have now admitted the sat nav has problems & there will be a fix sometime next year. Am I missing something here, didnt I pay £42k for a product that should WORK when I brought it & not a year into ownership????????????

I have sent a letter stating that if this car is not fixed within a time I agree to I will be rejecting the car. The dealer replied that all this issues I have are minor & they also put in black & white many new cars are delivered with defects.

I am now collecting videos of the many issues my XF has & will soon be putting them on youtube because the XF a great car to look at but to drive & use is a joke.

How this car won What car of the year ill never know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
daven2505 said:
Mine also misted up last saturday night on the M5 about 7pm. All the windows has a thick mist cover the windows. I always have the climate/AC on so is this another issue with this badly designed car. I had to stop & wipe the windows down because even the front, rear & defrost functions could not clear the windscreens.

The growing list of issues are just unreal

Mine is again back in the dealers(7th time) & its only 14 weeks old. This time they are fitting a complete new sunroof.

They fitted a new fuel filler bowl which was meant fix the fuel door sticking but it still sticks...................unbelievable.........

The seats stopped working
The touch screen freezes
The volume stops working on the right side
The fuel filler door sticks
The doors rattle
The Ipod screen locks up
The sat nav is a joke
Now the car mists up when its cold outside
It refuses to double lock
Rain builds up on the front door windows right in front of the rear mirrors giving visibility issues.
The parking sensors dont always work.
Sunroof rattles loudly

You would think I was joking but I now have videos of all the above
The dealer told me yesterday that Jaguar have now admitted the sat nav has problems & there will be a fix sometime next year. Am I missing something here, didnt I pay £42k for a product that should WORK when I brought it & not a year into ownership????????????

I have sent a letter stating that if this car is not fixed within a time I agree to I will be rejecting the car. The dealer replied that all this issues I have are minor & they also put in black & white many new cars are delivered with defects.

I am now collecting videos of the many issues my XF has & will soon be putting them on youtube because the XF a great car to look at but to drive & use is a joke.

How this car won What car of the year ill never know.
Motoring journalists tend not to live with a car. They just road test it and base their verdicts on the road test. I think the pretty gizmos in the XF appealled to a lot of the media. Style over substance, it seems.

I have now sold my XF and just taken an awful hit on the depreciation but I feel happier now.

It is an utter joke that owners need to perform DIY repairs on a new car to get it 'fit for purpose'. I have owned a new car every year over the last five years and never had these kinds of problems before.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
alpi said:
Since the current cold snap this week, every single morning the rear window has frozen up, and I mean on the inside aswell as the outside. This morning it was dripping onto the rear parcel shelf all the way to work. Left the car parked with sun on rear window and heater on all the way home, parcel shelf not wet, all windows closed, nothing wet in car and just looked outside 11:00 and the rear screen is already iced up again on the inside. Any ideas ? I'm wary of taking the car in and the engineers sepnding many chargeable hours not finding anything.
Can we stay on topic with this thread please. alpi's concern is a frozen up rear window. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the car into the garage for half a day (and was charged for the courtesy car !) and when I picked it up they told me the heated rear window connection was faulty and that's why it was steaming up and so they fixed that. I pointed out to them that this was not the problem I reported as 1/4inch of ice on the inside is not 'a bit of misting up'. I told them I'd had no problems with the rear window other than the slowness of demist. They sid the rear window heater had never worked ! Which was news to me because it always has. The problem with the icing up, well, perhaps give us a call if it happens again. Guess what, it iced up that night........

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sods Law. After my post yesterday we had a late frost last night after rain - car well frozen this morning and rear screen demist decided not to work !! Frosted on the inside as well (first time) so off to the dealers after lunch. I have told them I am unhappy with the rear screen (distortion) so will let you know what they have to say later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you must have a serious problem with this icing as mine never has iced up and
I have not had any of the above problems, but that is not a matter for this post.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just back form the dealers who could find nothing wrong with either the rear screen or the mirrors (they only work below 4 degrees sir - it was -1 degree when I had the problem). However they have agreed to take the matter up with Jaguar and to have the car in for a couple of days in the new year to give it a more thorough check over and maybe replace the rear screen although mine is coded after the agreed automatic replacement cut off for distortion.
Also going to do the pedestrian protection system update and software updates at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts