XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, is there a way of getting an on-screen display of how close you are to objects as you do with some other cars as shown here on a Volkswagen.

I'm getting the camera system because it has the front sensors though I would much prefer to above image on display than seeing the video feed from the camera.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
It displays just like that on the screen in the XF
As you get closer to an obstruction there is an audible warning and a graphic display which changes colour through to red when you are at the closest point :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pekem said:
It displays just like that on the screen in the XF
As you get closer to an obstruction there is an audible warning and a graphic display which changes colour through to red when you are at the closest point :)
But is that not just with the rear camera view, showing the red blocks for the objects at the rear only. Is this not the case because the XF I got a test drive in only showed the camera view.

If this opinion of mine is wrong then how do you get the car display up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's all pretty straightforward. When you select Reverse the rear camera view comes up by default - (sorry, can't remember if you can alter the default.) The nearside mirror also dips you can adjust this through the vehicle settings. If you would rather see the blocks on the screen instead of the camera view, you just touch the screen and then you get the blocks for front and rear with two different frequency audible bleeps representing front and back. This only happens whilst your moving slowly - say up to 10mph. Once you exceed this, the parking sensors switch off and do not come on again until you next sdelect reverse. The downside of this is if you drive forwards up to an object, you won't get the front parking sensors warning you when you're close. The onyl way round this is to reverse in, or to stop, momentarily select "reverse" and then go back to "drive" - the front sensors will then operate. Front and back sensors will then remain on until you select "park," switch off the engine or increase speed. Hope that helps.
Martin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my 3.0 DS and all of them I imagine, there is a switch/push button in the roof south of the rear view mirror which activates or cancels the front parking sensors when you are moving at slow/parking speeds. When sensors are activated the switch/push button is illuminated from behind. This enables you to get very close to objects when parking. The full graphics for front and rear parking are activated on the main screen and the audible warnings are also fully activated.

In my view a comprehensive and excellent system which was also installed in my last X Type Estate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh! Does that mean that this switch turns ON the front sensors so that they function when you're driving slowly forwards even if you haven't just been in Reverse? That would be useful!
Martin

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Martin said:
Oh! Does that mean that this switch turns ON the front sensors so that they function when you're driving slowly forwards even if you haven't just been in Reverse? That would be useful!
Martin
Exactly so :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When the sensors are "live" the volume selected on the ICE is reduced so that you can here the bleeps. Accelerating forward through 5 -10 mph returns the volume to normal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the explanation Martin, I assumed it had to be something simple like that. One thing I did like was the reduction in radio volume as the system detacted an object, similar to Volvo and something that other manufacturers should copy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, though do note, footie, that I didn't necessarily get it right about the front sensors - I need to go and play with the switch in my roof! As pekem has confirmed, it seems that one can opt to have the front sensors come live automatically when driving forwards towards an obstacle and I hadn't realised. (I've not had front sensors before!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mmm! Upon further investigation, my car definitely doesn't do what Pekem suggests it should and, in fact, the handbook confirms that the front sensors will not sense an obstacle unless Drive or Reverse are re-selected when you have descended from normal driving speed. So, you arrive in a car park and want to forward-park into a space against a wall. If you drive straight in, the sensors do NOT function. If you want them to, you would have to de-select Drive and re-select it. That's my reading of it. Once sensors are active they remain active until switched off or a reasonable speed is maintained.
Martin

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Martin said:
Mmm! Upon further investigation, my car definitely doesn't do what Pekem suggests it should and, in fact, the handbook confirms that the front sensors will not sense an obstacle unless Drive or Reverse are re-selected when you have descended from normal driving speed. So, you arrive in a car park and want to forward-park into a space against a wall. If you drive straight in, the sensors do NOT function. If you want them to, you would have to de-select Drive and re-select it. That's my reading of it. Once sensors are active they remain active until switched off or a reasonable speed is maintained.
Martin
You can select the front sensors if your speed is below 9 mph. Just slow down and press the button in the overhead panel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks PB - will try again!
Martin

·
Registered
288 Posts
Martin

I don't know if this will help you, but I've noticed that the front sensors don't seem to activate until you're pretty close to an obstruction - much closer than you need to be for the rear sensors to sound off. I wonder if you simply haven't got close enough - if so that's understandable, as I was inching forward thinking they weren't working before finally they sprang to life. I previously had front sensors on a BMW that had a much greater range - I guess BMW drivers are reckoned to have slower reflexes on the brakes!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Compass, no, it's not that with me - I've got my head round it now. It is as others have suggested - once your doing below 10mph (roughly) without needing to de-select and re-select Drive, you just touch the roof button and Bob's your uncle, the sensors go active!

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are some shrubs in front of the space I normally park in at work and as I approach them the sensors activate automativally as I get within a couple of feet of them. The only thing I can think of that is different when approaching the space rather than just pulling up behind a car at traffic lights is that the steering gets used to tunr 90 degrees to manouvre into the space so the car assumes that I am parking and switcheds on the sensors.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do you put the car in reverse to manouvre before pointing your car towards the shrubs? If you have recently reversed (and not subsequently exceeded 9mph when back in drive) the sensors will presumuably remain active?

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is what I would expect to be the case, too, Growler - except now that I have learned that the switch in thr roof will turn them on when below 9mph without engaging Reverse or re-engaging Drive.
Martin.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Martin,

Sorry - my post was directed at Iceman (to perhaps explain why his front sensors appear to "automatically" engage) - I should have quoted his post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts