XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any solutions to chipping on the front bumper. Previous car was silver and never experienced this on any other car. Although first time I've had a black car. Only option I can see at the moment is to get it resprayed.

Although concerned that problem will reoccur once resprayed. Don't want to be having to get it resprayed every 30k miles.

Is their any protective paint or special coating that can be applied to resolve?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a similar problem after 30k of mostly motorway miles. Even worse are the stone chips on the bonnet.

A respray is probably the only way to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jagalot. I'm just concerned that I'm going to need to get it resprayed every 30k miles. There must be a solution to this problem. Some kind of protector. I'll have to talk to my local body repairer and see if they have any solutions. Will let you and other forum members know of outcome.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thanks Jagalot. I'm just concerned that I'm going to need to get it resprayed every 30k miles. There must be a solution to this problem. Some kind of protector. I'll have to talk to my local body repairer and see if they have any solutions. Will let you and other forum members know of outcome.
There is a very simple solution but you may not like it. You just have to keep well away from the car in front then there is nothing to cause a chip in your paintwork.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bernard. Although these have been picked up by keeping a good distance away. Do a lot of motorway driving and think most have been picked up during the winter period. Good advice though :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
am looking into this with my xf previouse owner had bumper resprayed...am looking at clear wrap for bumper and leading edge of bonnet,on dark colours stone chips will certainly detract from the look and depreciate when trade in comes,also looking at rear of sill with same treatment,mine is peppered with chips

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wolverine - keep me posted. I'd be interested in the outcome. Will mention clear wrap to the body shop as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep will do also noticed they do a wrap for the rear bumper to stop scratches from prams,shopping etc...have sent local company e mail to see if they open Saturday to get price.cN as I understand it be clear or coloured got to be cheaper than respray,am disappointed as my skoda had this as standard fit along with lot more “ standard” fit options.just had thought...wonder if they do it to go down leading edges of doors to stop wall graze?..will let you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had my black XFS front bumper, top of wings and bonnet sprayed at 12 months old, that was 3 years ago, and now i have a couple of chips ...buts its ten times better than it was 3 years ago. Bodyshop paint will be better than the Jag stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That looks stunning..black does give pleasure after detailing.have contacted my local wrap shop and have asked for quote for wrapping front bumper and leading edge of bonnet will protect from stone chips and the like from marking paint,have also asked for quote to film side windows,there appears to be product on the market that will give numerous e benefits for fitting 1 will hold side glass intact if involved in collision 2 will make things a lot harder (and longer) to gain entry by smashing side window 3 will reduce uv entering vehicle so reducing discomfort to passengers and help stop leather from drying out this apparently has been successful in the states for many years where heat is a problem (also used in office blocks to shield workers) when I get price I will re post and if go ahead will place pics up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have just repaired the stone chips on my bonnet and front bumper, brought a kit from paints4u http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID
I was really impressed with the results, Time is the key to repairing the chips, the more care you take the better the results.
its quite scary rubbing the paint down with the p2000 paper leaving dull marks all over the car but it buffed up lovely.
Just follow the steps via there PDF file.
paint colour was spot on for my car ( black ) and its the best £15 I've spent for a kit like this.
I have to admit I did use a rotary polisher on the car to get the finish spotless.

·
Registered
248 Posts
any decent wrapping company will offer a clear film, the issue becomes the edge with the bonnet bra type systems, better to get the front clear wrapped, some offer a guarantee against stone chips for up to 5 years.

Wkd1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Montymojo..that is scarey stuff but has to be done as you say time is the key as with anything the more you prepare the better it will be.wkd 1 agree with you perhaps that's why the quote has been £300.00 but life time for as long as vehicle is owned by me...only first quote will shop about to get comparison prices.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got similar issues on the front bumper and bonnet. Anyone had them resprayed and if so some indicative costs please?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My own remedy has been to drive with a much bigger gap between me and the car in front. In 16,000 miles in my new XF I have picked up maybe half a dozen chips. Helps make for a more relaxing drive too! I recently looked at buying a nearly new Boxster - that had done 5,000 miles but was peppered with chips. Put me right off. The previous owner must have driven right on the back bumper of other cars.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Please don't remind me about paint chips. Last week in my nearly new Sportbrake I had to drive along a long stretch that had just been tarred and covered in granite chips which were all loose on the surface.
Fortunately there were two smooth tyre tracks from previous drivers so I carefully followed these at 20mph.
Suddenly some bar.....d came the other way driving flat out. My car was peppered on windscreen and all along the offside with flying granite chips. The damage is horrendous. I should imagine he is doing this all day long for fun or it was not his car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts