1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note this is a question for the Service Team

Hi

I don't think you'll believe this!

I returned to my car in the firm's carpark on Friday afternoon to find all 4 windows fully open.

Needless to say, I had locked the car in the morning with all the windows closed.

The sun does shine on the car for some hours and it was a hot day. Is this a safety measure if the temperature in the car exceeds a certain level? Or, could a remote from another manufacturer work on my car? Or, is it a possible fault.

I would be interested to know your views.

Regards

Eenie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Eenie
Definatly not a feature of the car to open windows when hot.Global opening is a function of unlocking the car so if another remote triggered it then would suspect that the doors would also be unlocked.Did this happen in your case? Possibly a fault with the car causing windows to open but at the same time it may never happen again.Suggest if it does then switch off the global opening function on the touch screen as this should disable the function and book into the dealer for investagation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know if it is a "feature" on the XF but on my 530d if I depress the unlock button on the key the car unlocks - if I keep it pressed then all the windows & the sunroof will simultaneously open until I stop pressing it.

Before now I have been in my office with the car parked just outside and I have obviously pressed it accidentally whilst the key has been in my pocket and I have later gone outside to find all the windows & sunroof open.

As I have not yet got my lovely new XF yet I can't test these feature out but I'm sure someone will know if this is possible from the key.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^ Yes there is that feature on the XF but im not sure how far away from the car you can be before it works. I am sure you have to hold it down for a good few seconds for it to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Craig.

I must have inadvertantly kept my finger longer than usual on the unlock button.

Thanks for helping to solve the mystery.

Eenie

·
Registered
5 Posts
My XF Diesel S did this while on my drive the morning after I took delivery - nice to find loads of rainwater inside my new car! I disabled the unnecessary global opening function - unfortunately it was the precursor of several other really annoying problems which I have posted elsewhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This has happened to my car when I have been near the car, shortly after parking it, and walking away.

I think the cause, in my case, was inserting my keyring into my tight jeans pocket with the keys folded over, and the pressure must have been on the "open" button on the remote.

Thus all windows and roof opened.

I have found that the remote does have quite a range of operation - try your headlight button on the remote from a distance - works on mine from more than 100 metres - so you could be sitting at your desk and pressing the button without knowing.

Any other theories?

Tony

·
Registered
217 Posts
My car's windows were all open this morning, with the doors unlocked. It is just possible that I might have lent on the key fob in my pocket last night, while sitting in my study which is reasonably close to the car. But it does seem rather unlikely - I could understand the car being unlocked because of a short unlock press, but you have to old down the button for some time to get the windows to Global Open (or indeed Global Close).

The seats are all wet :(.

When I get a spare moment, I will see if it's possible to deliberately use the fob to lock/unlock from where I sit.

One thing to note - the car was serviced last week. They didn't mention upgrading the software, but they might have done.

David

·
Registered
628 Posts
Eenie, a fault did exist on some 2010s where this would occur. I would get to your dealer and have them chec it out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Experiment shows that the car can be unlocked from my seat in the study. I have removed the keys from my pocket and will see whether it recurrs.

David

·
Registered
125 Posts
Twice now I have come down in the morning to find all four windows down and the car still locked. The only way I can manage to do this on purpose is to press the unlock button for 2-3 seconds, to open the windows, followed by a short press on the lock button, to relock the car. It is just about conceivable that I may have done this by accident once, but twice?

David.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've changed the settings on my car to disable Global Open - this is set separately from Global Close. I have occastionally used Global Close, but I can't think I would ever have a use for Global Open. I'm hoping that will fix my problem - it's possible I might still unlock the car by accident, but only from the house. I never park close enough to where I sit in any other place.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Global open is for hot climates. Best way to release built up heat on a hot summer day as you approach the car. Can scare onlookers a bit also depending on how far away you are when you activate the feature. Sunroof opening is the major cooling feature.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Especially if you have a black car, global opening is very useful even in what we Brits call summer. Yes, I can disable it (and have done so for now) but if it's a feature of the car then it ought to work properly and not just fire itself off in the middle of the night. Ironically the control to switch it off is found under the 'Security' menu.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I strongly suspect that my windows opened because I sat on the key fob. It's never happened before and the random unlock (which is more common) has never happened anywhere other than at home, where I sit within radio range of the car. I opened the boot by a similar means on my S-Type, and ended up with a soaked boot and a soaked leather coat.

I wonder if key fobs should have a switch to disable the buttons. It would be great on a keyless fob, which I almost never take out of my pocket.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did the same thing last week when I was in my local coffee shop. Key fob in my jeans pocket. Came out to find it raining and all the windows open.

I'd originally anticipated the problem and turned it off, but had turned it on again when we went on holiday to France. I'd forgotten to turn it off again when I got home.

I'm trying to find something I can use to shield the buttons, as I rarely use them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Went to visit daughters flat and came out 40 mins later to find all the windows fully open, but the car still locked, at least as judged by the parked mirrors. Thought initially someone had been trying to break in but it didn't fit, though a dodgy neighbourhood! Can't have accidentally lent for the 3 s needed on key fob otherwise would have unlocked car as well as opening the windows? This has never happened before, had stopped raining, so I have now disabled global opening and will report on next service due in 2 months.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Went to visit daughters flat and came out 40 mins later to find all the windows fully open, but the car still locked, at least as judged by the parked mirrors. Thought initially someone had been trying to break in but it didn't fit, though a dodgy neighbourhood! Can't have accidentally lent for the 3 s needed on key fob otherwise would have unlocked car as well as opening the windows? This has never happened before, had stopped raining, so I have now disabled global opening and will report on next service due in 2 months.
Hi, not quite true, the car will relock itself if no door is opened, even though the windows may have gone down.;) Phil

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, not quite true, the car will relock itself if no door is opened, even though the windows may have gone down.;) Phil
Doesn't relock happen when you have switched it on in the settings? I do not have it switched on and my car sometimes spend the night without being locked (too much forgetful nowadays).

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Auto relock works if no door or trunk lid is opened after either button on the remote is pressed, a security feature designed to lock the car even if the wrong button is pressed. There are variations of this relating to the arming of the alarm but I think the auto lock feature cannot be switched off.

Looks like this is incorrect. The next post indicates that the feature only relocks the car if unlocked but no door or trunk lid is opened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts