XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title explains the problem I've been encountering when scrolling slowly down the page in question it suddenly does right to the bottom without warning so that one must rescroll back up again.:-(

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Does this happen only on this forum ?
Do you see similar problems on other web pages ?

If the answer is only on this forum, it could be that, as I have noticed, response times have been increasing over the last couple of months, and, on occasions, the page freezes. This could be an indication of an overload problem, or similar, with the server(s).

·
Registered
767 Posts
The problem I find is that when I click on a topic heading that says it has a post today that the last post is actually a couple of days old

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Nigely,

Where are you clicking ?

If you click on the thread title, you will be taken to the beginning of the thread.

If you click on "see more", normally you go straight to the most recent post.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I normally click on the last page number.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this happen only on this forum ?
Do you see similar problems on other web pages ?

If the answer is only on this forum, it could be that, as I have noticed, response times have been increasing over the last couple of months, and, on occasions, the page freezes. This could be an indication of an overload problem, or similar, with the server(s).
The answer to that is yes, Phil only on the xfforum and is continuing it seems.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I normally click on the last page number.
We might be at crossed purposes here.
However, because page displays are often determined by our preference and filter settings, this is exactly what I do.

When I log on, I go straight to the What's New tab, up in the top left of the page.

At the top right of the new page, I have set the filter to "Most recent / Anytime / All".

Regardless of the subject, the most recent post on the forum is always at the top of the page.
All of the posts below will be successively earlier than the top post.

Under each of the posts listed, there is a "see more" message. Click on this, and you go straight to that post.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The answer to that is yes, Phil only on the xfforum and is continuing it seems.
Maybe a silly question Peter, but what computer are you using, and what sort of mouse ?

I use a MacBook Pro, with a wireless Apple Magic Mouse, connected via Bluetooth.
I have noticed that, when the mouse batteries are getting weaker, the scroll function is one of the first things to suffer.

However, if your problems are only on this forum, I would tend to stick with my original remark about server overload.

Maybe the Administrators could advise on this ?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe a silly question Peter, but what computer are you using, and what sort of mouse ?

I use a MacBook Pro, with a wireless Apple Magic Mouse, connected via Bluetooth.
I have noticed that, when the mouse batteries are getting weaker, the scroll function is one of the first things to suffer.

However, if your problems are only on this forum, I would tend to stick with my original remark about server overload.

Maybe the Administrators could advise on this ?
I'm on the web quite a lot, Phil regarding business mails and downloading invoices and order confirmations internationally. I'm also online regarding the many business banking accounts all of which present me with absolutely no problems, and can only repeat that the problem is concerning the xfforum.co.uk site. Until two days ago all was normal and then suddenly the pages spring from top to bottom without warning. The mouse I have is electronic and has no batteries and is cable connected to the PC.
I'll survive, of course, but it is annoying having to scroll all the time.
I'm operating with Windows 7 currently and is updated.

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
Suggest that you clear your PC History/Cache and then after rebooting the issue may be resolved.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Suggest that you clear your PC History/Cache and then after rebooting the issue may be resolved.
But if you do this, you might lose some of your automatic log-ins, where you have identifiers held in memory.
(Not passwords, but membership names and numbers etc).

Not necessarily a bad idea, but it can be painful if you have forgotten the identifiers.
(I have this problem with my banks, tax department, insurances and so on).

·
Administrator
432 Posts
You should be able to clear cookies and have it set to ignore log info. But I can't speak to that ability for all browsers. I know IE, Chrome, and Firefox all have it.

When you get taken to the bottom of the page, do you notice if you screen lands on a ad or anything? I've seen this before, when an ad has an over aggressive setting that forces you to look at it. They shouldn't be on the site, so if this is it we'll have to find out who found a way around our filters.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I think this forum has a very complicated script, and it behaves strangely on some computers. On my iMac with newest operating system and Safari it works well. If I switch to Chrome, the spacebar doesn't work, when I try to reply to a thread. If I save my reply and reopen it to edit, then the spacebar suddenly works again. The same happens in Chrome at my work on a Windows 7 pc. On another Windows 7 pc at work with Internet Explorer, it's very hard to type an answer to a thread. If I type at normal speed, it doesn't register at least half of the letters. I have to type slowly and press very distinctly on each key. It's the first time I've heard of a computer, that can feel how hard you press a key. It's completely silly. And it's not an old and slow computer. This leads me to think, that the software underneath this forum is quite complicated and takes a lot of computer power to run smoothly.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I have observed is that the sudden downward movement of the page in question which is getting much worse, by the way, since I posted this thread, is possibly caused by advertising blocks making themselves very apparent in that particular segment of the page in question.
Quite frankly, it is now becoming very irritating and I don't see any effort from a webmaster in rectifying this dilemma pain-in-the-a.... although he is surely aware of our complaints.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You should be able to clear cookies and have it set to ignore log info. But I can't speak to that ability for all browsers. I know IE, Chrome, and Firefox all have it.

When you get taken to the bottom of the page, do you notice if you screen lands on a ad or anything? I've seen this before, when an ad has an over aggressive setting that forces you to look at it. They shouldn't be on the site, so if this is it we'll have to find out who found a way around our filters.

Kevin
I just read your post after I posted a reply just now, Kevin and think you have hit the nail squarly on the head as to the possible cause which I have observed, so we'll see if you can rectify the problem.

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
What I have observed is that the sudden downward movement of the page in question which is getting much worse, by the way, since I posted this thread, is possibly caused by advertising blocks making themselves very apparent in that particular segment of the page in question.
Quite frankly, it is now becoming very irritating and I don't see any effort from a webmaster in rectifying this dilemma pain-in-the-a.... although he is surely aware of our complaints.
Technical will want to know which advert is being seen when the issue is encountered.
Also they will want to know if you have cleared cookies/history etc., which is generally the first action advised to resolve issues associated with unstable browsers.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The google sponsored cookies or slim advertising bands going from left to right across the page are in German varying literally from day to day.
These two bands are at the top and bottom of each page.
Thus, when one gets into the website the page jumps straight down to the bottom where the advert is located and this occures on several pages and is getting worse as time goes by. I simply cannot quote who it is advertising because of the number, but as an example one is or was Mobilcom debitel and my memory.de and at the top it is currently Startdownload in three easy steps "enjoy."
It is impossible to get rid of them even if one clicks on the X top rhs which does not function. They change every time one is on another page and most are in German.The site is being clearly abused, quite frankly.
As Pekem is aware I'm not a computer expert and doing this or that is useless to me because everything on my computer is in German!!
In the interim this morning I got into "system steering" ( translated from German) and then Datei schutz ( data protection) then "alle cookies blockieren" and "pop up" on.
It seems ( and I'm cautious here) as if the cookies may have disappeared, but the page still shoots down to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks for the pages Peter. I'm using Microsoft Interent explorer. What do you mean by rebooting switching off and starting again?
I did all that was in the instructions you mailed many times already but, as above in my last post, have now adjusted the cookies setting to the max rejection level possible.

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
Many thanks for the pages Peter. I'm using Microsoft Interent explorer. What do you mean by rebooting switching off and starting again?
I did all that was in the instructions you mailed many times already but, as above in my last post, have now adjusted the cookies setting to the max rejection level possible.
Yes re-booting is as you describe.

You will need to allow cookies if you want a smooth experience with sites you regularly visit.
The alternative is having to enter passwords etc every visit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts