XF Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I noticed over the weekend that the massage centre in the middle of the dash board seems to flicker. I wondered if it was anything to do with power surges when the engine is revved so I tried it with just the electrics turned on and the engine turned off but it still seems to flicker.

Has anyone else noticed this as I can't say I noticed it before the weekend and now I find it really annoying.

If anyone has been back to the dealer with this what was their response.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same issue and it seems to be more noticable when using more of the electrics, such as heated seats or windsreen wipers.
If after 13500k miles it the only issue I have I am more than happy and will mention it at the first service (due in 650 miles)

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Shaun said:
I have had the same issue and it seems to be more noticable when using more of the electrics, such as heated seats or windsreen wipers.
If after 13500k miles it the only issue I have I am more than happy and will mention it at the first service (due in 650 miles)
Another positive story, thank you Shaun. :)
After 13,500 miles of happy motoring he shows up again to tell us that he has had the flickering but "he aint bovvered" :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I have the same problem my dealer said they are going to talk to the factory, but that was three weeks ago heard nothing since.
I also have a problem with the sat nav screen it is very dull some mornings it can take up to two hours before the screen becomes visible again.
This problem is not temperature related - again dealer talking to factory.
But please let me say this is the best car I have ever had, I am still so pleased with it after 4 months and 7000 miles I love it. In our family we have a Audi A8,Audi S5 and A4 3.2 FSI S Line Quattro cab and while the Jag`s done > 7000 miles since July 22 the 3 Audi`s have done < than 70 the S5 is 37 days old and only started up 7 times.
If my Jag went bang tomorrow on my way to Norwich the first thing I would do is buy another.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had the same issue since new. sent Jaguar and dealer a video of it for them to see. dealer replaced the display in Aug last year but it is still the same. reported it to them and they said they will report to Jaguar and get back to me and to date nothing !!. dropped the car in to day for it's 1st service with a list of at least 10 outstanding issues not resolved since new (May last year).

have left the issues from Aug to now as i was tired of going back and forth to the dealer and getting no where with jaguar customer services.

will see what their answers are when the car returns at the end of the week !! :|

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I can't say I've sufferred the flickering, but I do have the dim screen on startup, but for me it takes about a minute to light up fully. I just assumed it was a characteristic and can't say it's really bothered me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
only had this happen once after the car had been left for a while, on start up was very faint, within thirty seconds was back to normal. my car is a year old 26/03. and it seems like a few of us on here, are booking our first services, the car has done just under 6000 miles, and like others when i booked the service i told them of a couple of issues i would like them to sort out. and without any fuss the service manager said they would be done with the service. perhaps a new thread should be started on our first service experiences, and if all the issues were dealt with. ending on another happy note :D the car has been a pleasure to own, and drive. looking forward to next years driving experiences, which includes a drive to porec in croatia

·
Registered
187 Posts
Message centre flicker

I have an anoying issue with my message centre which dims while the wipers are working, the dials are ok it's just the centre section.
Of course it only shows up at night whilst the lights are on but with it going dim then bright with every stroke of the blades looks a bit odd.
Doe's anyone else have this? I ask this because it's been back the dealer who say they have never heard of this before and so they checked a few other XF's and found several of them doing the same thing (one was much worse)!
Seems to me like an earth leakage type of thing??
Anyway, I have my car back now while we wait to see what the Mr Jaguar says.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an anoying issue with my message centre which dims while the wipers are working, the dials are ok it's just the centre section.
Of course it only shows up at night whilst the lights are on but with it going dim then bright with every stroke of the blades looks a bit odd.
Doe's anyone else have this? I ask this because it's been back the dealer who say they have never heard of this before and so they checked a few other XF's and found several of them doing the same thing (one was much worse)!
Seems to me like an earth leakage type of thing??
Anyway, I have my car back now while we wait to see what the Mr Jaguar says.

I have the same issue, it looks as though its caused by current drain caused by battery load when a lot of electrical demand is required i.e lights wipers stereo etc. I have in the past on other cars also noticed slight flickering from displays under the same conditions, its just a lot more pronounced on the XF.

Regards
Keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys,
My centre screen flickers when showing reverse camera info. Makes parking even more interesting. Would love to fix it.

Regards. Jagcop

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ignoring the previous post as its a different screen, has anyone ever solved the case of the flickering (or pulsing / pulsating) screen? I noticed mine doing it today when I was in traffic with the front heated screen on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ignoring the previous post as its a different screen, has anyone ever solved the case of the flickering (or pulsing / pulsating) screen? I noticed mine doing it today when I was in traffic with the front heated screen on.
Did you have the wipers on? I've noticed that when the driver's side wiper casts a shadow over the little black domed sunlight sensor (middle of dashboard, near windscreen - the little red flashing LED is also housed within it) the instrument cluster dims. This causes a pulsating effect as the wipers operate, but it only seems to do it in certain ambeint light conditions. My previous car (a Saab) did the same thing. Doesn't bother me. You might be able to simulate the effect by passing your hand over the sensor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pretty sure they weren't, but I'll test it next time I'm out.

It was only the message centre that was affected though, its not as if all the lights dimmed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On a slightly unrerlated matter, has anyone noticed the needle on the rev counter flickering up and down slightly. I noticed this in my car over the weekend after reading comments in What Car magazine for their long term test vehicle.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
On a slightly unrerlated matter, has anyone noticed the needle on the rev counter flickering up and down slightly. I noticed this in my car over the weekend after reading comments in What Car magazine for their long term test vehicle.
More reading Here according to Search :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was going to mention that, but then noticed that the Hyundai auto I was also driving did the same as well, so put it down to an Auto characteristic.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did you have the wipers on? I've noticed that when the driver's side wiper casts a shadow over the little black domed sunlight sensor (middle of dashboard, near windscreen - the little red flashing LED is also housed within it) the instrument cluster dims. This causes a pulsating effect as the wipers operate, but it only seems to do it in certain ambeint light conditions. My previous car (a Saab) did the same thing. Doesn't bother me. You might be able to simulate the effect by passing your hand over the sensor.
Power, this is EXACTLY what I have and I do believe that this is the issue with the wipers. At no other time does my dash dim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
flickering

Noticed mine flickering this week when the wipers were on but doesnt do it everytime. Have reported to the dealer and am awaiting their response

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just noticed this today due to the heavy rain (have not had my XF long). Would be very interested to hear the outcome from dealer discussion before taking mine in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts