XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and have recently decided I want to buy my first Jag and an XF after being disappointed in my secondhand Focus I bought a few months ago. Despite being top of the range it feels far from it. I'm looking to spend around £5k or slightly more and from what I have read decide to get the 3LD although I wont be covering lots of miles so don't mind a petrol if it comes up. Besides service history what else should I look out for?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi toastie15. I have almost no knowledge of second-hand car prices, but I'm guessing that £5k is only gong to get you a fairly old XF. This would be a concern for me as £5k doesn't seem like a lot for a prestige brand, but like I say, I'm way outa touch with what £5k buys these days.
One super important thing to check would be the battery(s), like most modern cars Jags don't like batteries that are not in premium condition and all sorts of electrical gremlins can start. If the Stop/Start doesn't function once the car's warmed up, this may well indicate that the dedicated Stop/Start battery needs replacing. Also, be concerned if the car has been standing without use for some time, this can tip a marginal battery over the edge (so to speak) and necessitate replacemnt. Fortunately these gremlins quickly disapear once the batery is changed, so no big deal. A decent quality battery is also recommended. Also check the wear on not just the brake pads but also the disks themselves, there's only a few millimeters at most between new disks and worn. You may want to check out the replacement cost before-hand to avoid shocks. I'm sure their are other important things that are mileage related (cam belts for one), but I'll leave these to owners with more experience to weigh in and give an opinion. Oh, one thing that I should mention...but I'll whisper it because the subject is likely to cause apoplexy amongst our more vocal forum members <whisper> Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF): whilst I never had an issue with mine over nearly 8 years of ownership, other forum members have indicated that doing too many short journeys in sucession, can cause DPF errors due to the car not being driven long enough and fast enough to trigger the DPF's cleaning process, so it gets 'clogged up'. </whisper>
Finally I'll say, If you go ahead, enjoy and treasure you Jag ownership and I hope you have many enjoyable miles of driving ahead of you.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and have recently decided I want to buy my first Jag and an XF after being disappointed in my secondhand Focus I bought a few months ago. Despite being top of the range it feels far from it. I'm looking to spend around £5k or slightly more and from what I have read decide to get the 3LD although I wont be covering lots of miles so don't mind a petrol if it comes up. Besides service history what else should I look out for?
Worth reading the words of a dealer 😊

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ones I've looked at for that price were 09 plates ranging from 60k to 140k on the clock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts