XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I left my car outside last night rather than in the warm garage because they were talking about slighty frost here in the capital of the world :D This morning I get out there are the screens are iced (not thickly but iced all the same). So i get in and the front and rear screens come on automatically and I put the heated seat on full and the "allegedly" heated steering wheel on. Less than a minute later the front screen is totally clear and drivable and I can feel the heat from the seat. Side mirrors, rear window and wheel still icy. It took nearly 10 minutes for the screen at the rear and mirrors to clear and they didnt do it gradually they went clear very quick.

This is so much slower than in other cars I have had, has anyone else noticed this?

Also, the steering wheel got warm after 20 minutes but only because the bloody heating had cooked the interior by then! :roll:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
craig said:
Also, the steering wheel got warm after 20 minutes but only because the bloody heating had cooked the interior by then! :roll:
I was starting to regret not specifying a heated steering wheel to complement a warm bum!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with all of your comments. Although the seats get warm it is not as warm as other cars I have owned with such creature comforts and the heated steering wheel is pretty poor as well. However I have to say that it was exactly the same on the XK that I had prior to the XF. Must be a Jaguar thing.
Maybe it's a throw back to the time when Jaguar drivers wore gloves ?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
I agree with all of your comments. Although the seats get warm it is not as warm as other cars I have owned with such creature comforts and the heated steering wheel is pretty poor as well. However I have to say that it was exactly the same on the XK that I had prior to the XF. Must be a Jaguar thing.
Maybe it's a throw back to the time when Jaguar drivers wore gloves ?? :lol:
. . . . and leather helmets! ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just started the engine and sat in the car for 4-5 minutes. The front and rear screens had de-iced nicely. The side windows and mirrors were much slower to de-ice.

The XF controls the current drain from the battery so I tend not to turn everything on at the same time as some the screen clearing is likely to take longer. Having the heated seats, front screen heater and rear screen heater is likely to consume a phenomenal amount of watts!

·
Registered
294 Posts
My experience is in line with craig's - i.e that the rear window took ages to clear, and much longer than the front screen and mirrirs.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
My experience is in line with craig's - i.e that the rear window took ages to clear, and much longer than the front screen and mirrirs.
Is this simply because the front window and mirrors are benefiting from the heater fan as well the heating elements in the screen :?:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ice?? I have no idea what you are all talking about. What is that stuff? Temps still mid thirties here! :) ;) :cool: Still using the chilled seats

·
Registered
294 Posts
Would that my garage were big enough!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Followed this thread yesterday with interest then this morning awakened to find the XF covered with a light dusting of snow and frost. Started the car ten minutes before I needed to leave home to see what the de-ice performance was like.

Front screen brilliant 3-4 minutes and clear. Mirrors clear of frost in the same period but moisture remained. After 10 minutes virtually no change to the rear screen. On the inside you could see very slight reduction in the 'mist' around the elements but virtually no change outside - still covered in frost and sleet/light snow. I cant think that this is normal or if so then surely Jaguar need to come up with a remedy?

Should we ask 'Service' for a comment?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad I scanned the posts before launching my tirade! This morning, all windows heavily iced up in NW London. Started the car and turned on full demisting etc (don't have the heated seats and steering wheel). Like others, the front screen de-iced very quickly but the rear screen took a very long time and I ended up by scraping hard. On my previous car (BMW728), the rear screen took seconds to de-ice, so this seems to be a general problem judging by our exeriences. But, worse was to come. Having driven to a Client's office, I went to open the boot to retreive my case. As the boot opened, a mass of partly thawed ice fell into the boot. I was so taken aback, I can't remember whether it came from the back of the boot or the front, but the ice congregated near the front so I guess that it slid off as the boot opened. This has never happened in 40 years of driving and it took me a couple of minutes to scoop it all out. It will be interesting to see what happens when we have snow.

Another issue is the ventilation. I like cold air to blow in my face but it seems that I can only achieve this if I set the temperature to low and take it out of auto. The garage has explained that if it is colder outside, the system compensates by blowing hot air, but I would have thought that if it's not in auto, it should blow out whatever temperature air I want. And it takes for ever in the mornings to get any air flow going!

Oh well, I guess that I'll get used to it in time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pekem said:
craig said:
tonys xf said:
leson learnt leave car in garage :lol:
Yes and the heating in there is on timer now also!
So when will you use that little extra you bought :?:
The car isnt always at home so will be used when required out and about :lol: I was just being flash in my options choice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Following yesterdays icy start, I too watched in admiration of the front screen clearance. Top job. Rear took some time into my journey to clear but eventually did it's job. The car did have a heavy covering of thick frost and without thinking I pressed the drivers window switch to see if lowering and raising again would clear the frost. The window didn't move and it appeared to be totally frozen. No problem I thought and just squirted some de icer over it and started my journey.

However today (no frost this morning) I entered a car park with automated ticket barrier. Pressed the window switch .........nothing, a brief click, but nothing. I had to try this some 10 times before the window finally decided to lower. I wonder if this a result of my frozen problem the previous day, or if there is something more sinister afoot?

Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Up here in the frozen north (ie Glasgow), I found the other day that my nearside front window wouldnt open because of the frost. In fact I was at the end of my 35 minute commute into the city centre and it would still not open.

As far as the heated stearing wheel is concerned, I think it is great, it get very warm in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Perhaps those with frozen windows should go through the procedure for reprogramming the open and closed limits?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have added to this thread rather than 'Ask the Srvice Manager' rather than overload 'Service with questions.

After Vapour Greys post last week I did mail Jag Customer serrvices re the heated rear screen performance:

This week has seen the first real winter weather since I took delivery of my Jaguar XF and I am surprised at the poor performance of the heated rear screen in clearing frost on the outside and mist on the inside. I have a heated front screen also and this is fine but the rear screen is pathetic taking more than ten minutes to even start to melt the accumulated frost/sleet.

Are Jaguar aware of this issue and if so is a fix likely to be forthcoming?
I have noticed that many other owners on the XFforum (http://www.xfforum.co.uk) have also been complaining of the same issue so I do not feel that this is a problem unique to my vehicle.

This is the reply:

For clarity I have now discussed the matter with our Technical Engineers and presented your Vehicle Identification Number for their information. I am now of the understanding that your concern may in fact be unique to your vehicle. Our engineers respectfully suggest that you take your car to your nearest Jaguar Authorised dealership, for inspection and diagnosis. They will be able to carry out any necessary repairs and also have the facility to contact our engineers direct for assistance, should the need arise.
So there you have it !! It would seem that a number of contributors to this site have a heated screen problem unique to their own vehcle.

Amazing co-incidence what ???!!!

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Very interesting response; we should not all rush at once :)
However, I do think that it would be of interest to know how Service will approach this issue and for that reason I have asked him to comment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts