XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my XF this morning. I've only driven it around 75 miles or so but these are my first impressions. I'll try and make this a fairly objective review rather than gush over the car!

The spec is fairly basic: 2.7D V6 Premium Luxury, metallic paint, carelia 19" wheels and ivory leather.

Firstly, the dealer was very, very stingy indeed. He ripped me off on the accessories and gave me nothing, zilch, nowt when I picked the car up. Just a dealer keyring (not even a jaguar keyring) for each of the two keys. Even Porsche dealers are less stingy! The other thing that ****ed me off was that the dealer has applied dealership stickers to the front and back windscreens. I've taken the front one and will remove the rear one tomorrow. I don't want to advertise the dealership when i'm driving around!

The plus side was that the dealer was very thorough during the handover. I had a very comprehensive checklist and managed to tick every item off. The handover took around 1.5 hours (I was part-exchanging a car as well). Another nice touch was, at my request, the number plates on my XF were stuck on rather than screwed on. This will allow me to get my private plates from my old car transferred over with ease and extra holes won't need to be drilled in the XF. One more positive thing about the dealer was that he allowed me to inspect the XF in a warm, clean dry preparation bay as it was pouring with rain this morning.

I walked around the exterior and the shutlines and panels fit very well together. This immediately conveys a sense of quality about the car. I've got the splash (mud) guards and these really round off the look of the car. It just looks a bit classier with the mud guards - the stance is somewhat different from a 'naked' XF. I've also got the chrome side vents - that was a very good investment indeed. The chrome side vents make the car just that little bit different and are a nice touch, but I would imagine they may not suit all colours. The boot required some force to shut but the dealer told me that it will become easier over time. The boot is also very big - you can get a lot of stuff in there.

The doors shut with a reassuring soft thud that, again, reminds you that this a quality car. The keyless entry system is actually very good. It knows if the key is outside or inside the car too. The key fob is enormous - that's a bad thing. There is a panic button on it but I can't get it to work - perhaps some RTFM is required.

Getting comfortable was very easy as the controls for the seats and mirrors are easy to operate. Programming the positions into the two available memories was a doddle.

Starting the car up showed the usual theatrics from the air vents and gear selector knob. Whilst this is nice to see, I am worried that this will fail over time. The 2.7 D engine in my car seemed a lot smoother than the one in the demo car on the test drive. No discernible lag when moving off. It's a big car and if I had a choice again I would get the front parking sensors. Visibility is quite poor compared to a 5-Series for example. I struggle to turn into one part of my driveway which requires a sharp 90 degree turn.

It's obvious it's a diesel - albeit fairly quiet for a diesel. You can clearly tell if you stand outside the car. However, it's difficult to tell from inside the cabin. The car is not as soundproof as a 5-Series (in my opinion). It does let in ambient road noise so this was a tad disappointing. Still, it's well up there with the best of the execs, just not class-leading.

But the drive itself is sublime. The car glides along very smoothly and soaks up most, but not all, bumps and potholes on the road. Visibility is fairly poor though. The view through the front windscreen is not very clear due to the heating elements. Worse still is the view through the rear windscreen - that's so heavily raked that the view is distorted. Side views are fine.

The paddle-shift controls are a bit annoying and i've managed to inadvertently operate the paddle-shifts when I didn't want to - you need to hold down the '+' paddle-shift for two seconds to get back to auto mode.

The audio system is very good indeed. The Premium Luxury comes with the 320W Jaguar Premium Sound System. It's about as good as the Bose system in my previous car and it does have a subwoofer. There is what appears to be a single-slot CD in the dashboard. But you can feed this up to six CDs! Eat just eats them up and stores them internally somewhere. I simply took out five MP3 CDs from my old car and fed them into the XF and they worked with no issues whatseover. The radio is pretty good too - just AM and FM as standard. I've only got the 3.5mm stereo audio jack in the centre console but haven't tested this with my MP3 player. I don't really need to as all the music that I listen to is on five CDs in MP3 format so that's enough for me.

The rain-sensing wipers are a bit temperamental and not as good as those on my previous car. But the navigation system is awesome. Very clear, intuitive and can do a full postcode search.

For anyone who has a baby, I can confirm that an ISOFIX child seat fits with no issues on the rear seat (left and right sides of the rear seat only).

The quality of the leather is very good indeed. There is a LOT of leather in the XF and it smells wonderful! The standard burr walnut looks good with the ivory leather. The stitching is pretty good too. BUT...and this is a big BUT...I can now see where Jaguar has cut costs. The sides of the centre console are hard, textured plastic. The lower half of the doors are plastic and look quite cheap. The door bins (storage pockets at the bottom of the doors) don't even have a cover on them and are made of cheap, hard plastic. Anything you put in them is there for the world to see. The same can be said of some of the trim in the rear of the cabin. It appears that Jaguar has focussed the nice touches in the driver's eyeline and cut costs with the rest of the trim. I guess that's how Jaguar has managed to spec the standard car so highly. Nevertheless, the overall quality of the cabin is still very high.

I have yet to see the 'mood lighting' so cannot comment on that. The auto-headlights work okay. I cannot find the sticker for the tyre pressures! Both myself and the salesman looked for it and couldn't find it! The service booklet had not been stamped so was left with the dealership to stamp and post to me.

On balance, the Jaguar is a great car (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!). People slow down to look. It stands out from the usual execs. It's different and is well worth the asking price. What does worry me somewhat is that the dealership was virtually empty on a Saturday morning. Go to a BMW, Audi or Merc dealership and it will be very busy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roma

Great that you have got your car at last.

I agree with you that the theatre show may fail over time in fact on some occasions my air vents have fallen out of sync on starting the car... It seems to right iteslf though.

The dealer I went to didn't put any stickers on the car and gave my fiancee a large bouquet of flowers which was a nice touch.

The rain sensors do take a bit of getting used to, they have various settings and so keep playing until you get it right for you.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine (despite the breakdown !)

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Great run through Roma. Its hard not to gush with excitement when you pick up a new motor.

What colour is the car BTW?

How's the Ivory leather in the flesh? Worth the extra over the other options? I was worried about it getting dirty with my 2 little monsters.

Have to admit I'm still doing double takes any time I've seen an XF on the road so hopefully it will still be getting admiring glances when I pick mine up!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's very hard not to gush about the XF. I really resisted the temptation to do so as is apparent from my first impressions review. It's Pearl Grey and i'll put some pictures up shortly. My wife and I drove the car around 150 miles today and we both love it to bits. It is such a serene, relaxing environment to be in that our little nipper was fast asleep in the back.

The Ivory leather is going to get dirty if you have kids. I'm fairly fastidious about detailing the car so i've got lots of cleaning products to wipe away any dirt. You do get a feeling of lots of space with the Ivory leather interior and it does look very classy. It's hard to say if it's worth the £750 premium but it's the colour I wanted so it was worth it for me. It's very high quality leather - soft and sumptious.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a hint of purple in it but nowhere near as much as you see in photographs. I think it looks gorgeous in the flesh but it's very much personal taste. My wife likes it too. I've had a very positive reaction to the colour from friends and family so far. I've had a black car fairly recently and that took a lot of effort keeping it looking good - sometimes it would be spotted within a couple of hours of washing it because of rain, and i've had plenty of silvers so I wanted something a bit different.

I would say the colour is more plum-brown-grey. I've described the colour as 'warm' before and it makes the car stand out from the usual company car colours. The chrome side vents look great next to the Pearl Grey paintwork.

But it's not a colour for everyone and i'd say it's one of the more controversial colours for the XF. The dealer actually had several cars coming in around now that I could have ordered but Pearl Grey with an Ivory interior was the combo I wanted.

By the way, what colour have you ordered?

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Pearl Grey for me too.

I chose it because it was the darkest grey and I have to be honest I only saw a sample not an actual car and I didn't detect any hint of purple.

I've seen some photos that make it look stunning though and others where the purple really stands out. My order is past the point of no return now so I'm stuck with it.

I've gone for the dove / charcoal and rich oak trim.

Fingers, toes and $£! crossed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts