XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, After weeks of messing around, unable to decide what to buy to replace my Audi S5, I finally took the plunge yesterday and ordered an XF 3.0D S Portfolio in - yep you guessed it - Ultimate Black/Ivory/Oyster. The car is built and due to arrive at the dealer this week so planning to collect it on the 26th June. I never like changing my car and I love my S5 so not surprised to be wide awake at 4.00 am worrying that I've done the wrong thing. No V8 engine, light and impractical coloured upholstery, 4 door saloon 'old chaps' car........all those kind of irrational thoughts. BUT then I dig out the brochure and remind myself why I wanted one in the first place. There's no dealer locally so I only snatched a quick look and a brief test drive in a standard 3.0D. Am I going to like this car ???

And has anyone got a picture of a black XF with chrome mirrors please, my Audi has silver mirrors and I like the look but cant decide on the Jag.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum Blade :)
Well done for doing the right thing; you will not regret it :)
You are now on the Roll of Honour here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=707&p=5335#p5335

Stick to your guns about the mirror covers; a lot round here will decry them. I have only seen them on a Lunar Grey just after launch in 2007 and I thought they looked good :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
NO NO NO, don't order chrome mirrors, they look awful (in mine and many others opinion... :oops:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to agree on not taking the door mirror chrome unless you are building your own Chavuar ;)

My personal jury is out on the chrome side vents, depends on the car colour.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Tinted windows go well with chrome mirrors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dear guys, I'm certainly no chav but I dont see the problem with Chrome Mirrors or Medium tinted privacy glass, most manufacturers offer these as options now. I guess you are a conservative bunch on here which seems a little at odds with lurking around on an enthuisiasts forum. Seems like Jaguar ownership is going to take a little adjusting to. I resisted the temptation to do anything with my S5 but I was ready to change the exhaust and wheels before the urge to change the car swept over me. Accepted that the XF doesn't need messing with but surprised by the extent of your dislike for chrome mirror casing and tinted glass - you seem to have given a couple of guys on here a hard time about tinting their windows..and as for the LED blades, again you seem not to like these when they are actually neatly integrated and a safety benefit....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure I can agree with your observation that not liking chrome mirrors makes me a conservative enthusiast. But of course it is your choice, but it took me long enough to decide on a colour, if I'd had to think too long over chrome mirrors, tinted windows, led blades I'd have taken up residency in the show room.

I'm sure you'll like what ever you decide and it'll look great, and if I don't then that'll be my little problem which for sure won't keep me awake at night.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Blade said:
Oh dear guys, I'm certainly no chav but I dont see the problem with Chrome Mirrors or Medium tinted privacy glass, most manufacturers offer these as options now. I guess you are a conservative bunch on here which seems a little at odds with lurking around on an enthuisiasts forum. Seems like Jaguar ownership is going to take a little adjusting to. I resisted the temptation to do anything with my S5 but I was ready to change the exhaust and wheels before the urge to change the car swept over me. Accepted that the XF doesn't need messing with but surprised by the extent of your dislike for chrome mirror casing and tinted glass - you seem to have given a couple of guys on here a hard time about tinting their windows..and as for the LED blades, again you seem not to like these when they are actually neatly integrated and a safety benefit....

Don't be influenced by a bullying minority on here. :lol:
We had the same thing with the Chrome Vents and the majority are in favour.
After all its a personal choice and fashion thing and I suspect that most would still approve of the chrome on this MK2 :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have chrome mirrors and chrome sides, and illuminated jag door steps ... on my black XF V8 and i love it ... mixed opinion there ...

My opinion .. go for what you like, and think looks good .. everyone has his/her own opinion .. i personally ordered the chrome mirrors and love them :)

cheers

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
gazzazh said:
I have chrome mirrors and chrome sides, and illuminated jag door steps ... on my black XF V8 and i love it ... mixed opinion there ...

My opinion .. go for what you like, and think looks good .. everyone has his/her own opinion .. i personally ordered the chrome mirrors and love them :)

cheers

gazzazh
Now you tell us :!:
You know what's coming next; please, please, please post a picture of your XF. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wellington, if you can't customise the car the way you want it, what's the point in buying a new car?
I say pick the chrome mirrors. It'll make the car stand out even more.
If I see you on the road, I'll honk the horn in your direction :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
...I think I'm agreeing with the personal choice thing at least I'm trying to!

I'm new, and don't want to be branded a trouble maker this early in the game.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that thatchamcat, I'll honk you back ;) ...I think you're right if people want to do some personalising (spelling!!!) then fair play to them. I only asked for a pic of the mirrors and I think Pekem warned me there were some that would scream sacrilege, but to be fair its a forum so I respect peoples opinions..........even if you are wrong :? Kidding...be gentle I just got here!! Oh and penultimateblack, I am having the rear windows tinted (only lightly so it wont look 'chaved') and I might play The Killers on my B&W sound system with the window open driving through town. But I will keep the car superbly waxed so as not to damage the XF's image, I promise!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE....

Not getting my car now until October, the car that we'd agreed to buy which was one available for quick delivery was lovely but being used to more supportive seats as soon as I found out the R seats were now available I switched the order. I also changed the colour to Pearl/Ivory too although I'm still struggling with this one. So been a bit quiet the past week but back on track now..

Never had so much trouble choosing the colour of a car ! Heart says Black, Head says Pearl Grey, but saw an Indigo car over the weekend and that looked nice too..... :roll:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I am sure whichever you decide, Grey, Black, Blue, Chrome Mirrors/Vents,tints,or a big wide white stripe over the bonnet, roof and boot(only kidding!!!!), you will be more than happy once you get behind the wheel.:lol:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Blade said:
UPDATE....

Not getting my car now until October, the car that we'd agreed to buy which was one available for quick delivery was lovely but being used to more supportive seats as soon as I found out the R seats were now available I switched the order. I also changed the colour to Pearl/Ivory too although I'm still struggling with this one. So been a bit quiet the past week but back on track now..

Never had so much trouble choosing the colour of a car ! Heart says Black, Head says Pearl Grey, but saw an Indigo car over the weekend and that looked nice too..... :roll:
I have seen a number of Pearl Grey XF's recently and I have to say; if they are clean and shiny they look brilliant.
Interesting that the colour is still the favourite in this Poll :eek: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1185

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I don't know if it was the heat last night that stopped me sleeping or the uncertainty over the colour but whichever colour I end up with, I'll skip the chrome bits now. The car will get a light window tint though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think the trouble with the Chrome on the XF V's that of the Audis, is that the Audi chromed mirrors are brushed are they not? Whereas the XF ones are VERY shiny and VERY blingy. But as everyone here has said, each to their own, I for one love the chrome side vents and have asked for them again on my new car, but some people would even say that they are a step too far.
I'm still tetering on getting the Arodynamic R pack, just waiting confirmation on cost fitted. I'm sure that'll stirr a right Marmite storm if I end up getting it.
So go for it it, your car, you enjoy it how you see fit.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Blade said:
Thanks guys, I don't know if it was the heat last night that stopped me sleeping or the uncertainty over the colour but whichever colour I end up with, I'll skip the chrome bits now. The car will get a light window tint though.
Rmember you can always fit the chrome extras later if you want them, bit more difficult to change the colour though :shock: :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts