XF Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had a bit of a problem when in town the other day, in that I couldn't get the EPB to engage while stopped at traffic lights. this was accompanied by a yellow warning, then the red warning on the dash of 'Cannot apply park brake'. Once clear of the lights, I stopped in a safe place and did the usual switch off the engine and restart, which cleared the warning message, however once the hand brake was pulled, it did the same again. This time I could hear the brake coming on but immediately it disengaged again with the dashboard warning as before. Now I tried resetting a couple of times to no effect, then on the last attempt, the brake engaged (with the same warning on) but wouldn't release, either manually, or by applying throttle. I now had the opposite problem of having the brake stuck on and not releasing no matter how many times I tried. With a load space full of the monthly freezer food shop, things weren't exactly turning out well here, so resorted to calling the AA who were brilliant insofar as they were with me in twenty minutes of calling them. Martin the AA mechanic did a scan for DTC's and indeed found that there was a fault with the ECB (Code C1129 amongst others) which indicates there was a motor current issue along with not enough pulses in the hall-effect circuit. Presumably, this means that the current was peaking out before the brake was fully applied, or at least that's what it was thinking. Anyway, what he did was to put the EPB into service mode to release the brake, and try to recalibrate the system once again, but after a few attempts at this gave up as it wouldn't stay calibrated for some reason, so he left it the service position to at least get me on my way. Thanks Martin - you saved my freezer food!
I have a Foxwell scanner at home, so went through a few checks with it and operated the EPB a few time and went through the recalibration procedure, but I had pretty much the same result as the AA, so have been trying to research the problem on-line with limited success. I have concluded however, that the most likely culprit is within the motor itself which sits on the cross-member above the diff, and is a bit of a pig to get at, which brings me to the point where I'd like to ask some advice - does anyone know how to get the motor out of the car? I have not seen or heard of a way to do this on one of these Sportbrakes, the only info I can find is for the saloon models with normal shock absorbers and springs where you remove the two 10mm EPB bolts on the cross-member bracket, drop the diff a couple of inches and remove the motor from the left side of the car. Unfortunately, my Sportbrake has air suspension, and dropping the diff a couple of inches I don't think will help much unless the whole thing is removed, which of course requires removing half-shafts and various other components to facilitate this. If there's a known easier way to do this, I'd be happy to receive any advice - Thanks!(y)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts