XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody please help me by removing the cover on the rear section of door handle and check on the firmness of the metal fitting which has the emergency key blade slot? (Owners Manual Page 27)

Mine was loose and I asked my dealer to tighten it when the car was in for new rear discs. I checked it today because I noticed the rear cover is sticking out further than the handle and found the metal fitting is still loose. I suspect they forgot to see to it ! Thanks

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
Could somebody please help me by removing the cover on the rear section of door handle and check on the firmness of the metal fitting which has the emergency key blade slot? (Owners Manual Page 27)

Mine was loose and I asked my dealer to tighten it when the car was in for new rear discs. I checked it today because I noticed the rear cover is sticking out further than the handle and found the metal fitting is still loose. I suspect they forgot to see to it ! Thanks
I have just tried mine and I have to say that the process of removing the top cover was scary; I thought that I would cause damage to what appears to be flimsy plastic. However, I did get it off, and back on again, and am not able to detect any movement of the steel section at all. It seems to be snugly and rigidly fitted and causes me no alarm whatsoever. I agree with you that it would seem that it has been overlooked by the mechanics.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pekem. I pushed a small screwdriver up into the hole and the cover came straight off. Nice to know how to do it in the event of a smart key failure on a dark winters night! Now I'm sure they didn't tighten up the bracket a I can move it easily. The door card will have to be removed to fix it which means they should have a record of the warranty work. I have emailed the service manager for an answer.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
Thanks Pekem. I pushed a small screwdriver up into the hole and the cover came straight off. Nice to know how to do it in the event of a smart key failure on a dark winters night! Now I'm sure they didn't tighten up the bracket a I can move it easily. The door card will have to be removed to fix it which means they should have a record of the warranty work. I have emailed the service manager for an answer.
Now that part is interesting; I obviusly did not read page 27 properly! I could see that an implement was required but did not see a reference to any hole and as I didn't have anything to hand I managed to ease the cover back with my fingers and then lever it over and off. So it seems that on a dark night you might not need to find a hole or use any tool :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts