XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pinned down a minor rattle from the rear of the car to the EPB. It started when I stopped applying the parking brake after reading horror stories about premature brake pad wear. It was a sort of light clinking noise which stopped when I exercised the EPB a few times after the car had been sitting in the garage for a week with the parking brake off. It has not returned since I started applying the parking brake normally again. I understand the parking brake is applied by an electric motor via cables. For future reference could you tell me if the tension of the cables is critical and whether the mechanism is lubricated during a service.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi penultimateblack
The parkbrake motor uses a load sense to know where the fully applied position is and then releases it a set amount.It sounds like if been left for a while then it is refinding these limits hence noise.It sounds simuliar to the noise the parkbrake makes when we reset them after a pad change. If the battery has ever gone flat or disconnected and the message comes up "apply parkbrake " you also get this noise as it relearns it position.There is no provision on the service schedule to lubricate the cables although they are inspected for wear, damage, routing etc.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JAG M/T said:
Hi penultimateblack
The parkbrake motor uses a load sense to know where the fully applied position is and then releases it a set amount.It sounds like if been left for a while then it is refinding these limits hence noise.It sounds simuliar to the noise the parkbrake makes when we reset them after a pad change. If the battery has ever gone flat or disconnected and the message comes up "apply parkbrake " you also get this noise as it relearns it position.There is no provision on the service schedule to lubricate the cables although they are inspected for wear, damage, routing etc.
Thanks very much. The car is only four months old so the battery is fine. The motor must have redefined it's limits as the clinking noise stopped when I started applying the PB again.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Electronic Parking Brake- update

For info should anyone else suffer a boot rattle, I have found the cause of my clinking, tinkling rattle.

It was coming from a matchbox size protective cover attached to the bottom right hand face of the luggage compartment fuse box. You have to peel back the boot trim to get at it. It's made of 1/16th inch galvanised steel held very loosely in place by two vertical one inch tongues. It clinked and tinkled when tapped, so I used some cushioned double sided sticky tape to firm it up. The noise has gone completely no matter how poor the road surface is. :) :) :) :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts