XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if XF drivers usually acknowledge each other if they pass another XF? Not something you'd need to do too often due to the exclusivity of the car ;)

Certainly not something I used to to in the Beemer otherwise my hands would hardly have ever been on the steering wheel :D

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
zx10ben said:
So much of a Loony you had to post it twice! :lol: :lol:
Touche my friend! ;)
Very funny; you should not make fun of the afflicted :evil:
And anyway, haven't you got better things to do than to point out my simple error; like winning a war or something. :lol:
BTW, take care :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmm, mutual appreciation society - I like the idea :idea: - that was something that used to happen when I was out driving in my 'classic' MR2. As mentioned in a previous post, it wouldnt be a frequent thing, but I thats more reason to acknowledge such a rare occasion.

In fact, passed another XF today, well nearly drove head on into it but hey ho :eek: -turns out it resides in a house not far from mine, so maybe I would have to give MAS a miss with that one - Id look a bit idiotic :lol: am gutted too as Cham wont be the only XF in the village!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Waved to a fellow XF driver....Stared right past me !!! Must have owned a BMW prior to the XF :D :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
XF FX said:
hmmm, mutual appreciation society - I like the idea :idea: - that was something that used to happen when I was out driving in my 'classic' MR2. As mentioned in a previous post, it wouldnt be a frequent thing, but I thats more reason to acknowledge such a rare occasion!
Yes I know the "MR2 wave" quite well, even though I had one of the rougue Mk3 MR2's I still had a few waves :D

Pekem can you collate a database of eveyone's address and on my return I shall endevour to drive past everyone in their XF's and give them a wave.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It has been a long established custom for MG owners to wave at each other, but I gave it up after a young lady in an MGF reacted with a dirty look that said; "Why is that dirty old man in an old MG waving at me?" :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Why is there no respect

Bawtree said:
Do I moan when she spring cleans the house every week
Wish I could get my wife to spring clean the house every week :!:

·
Registered
162 Posts

Searching for a suitable thread on which to post this - I found some teenager doing up his laces on my wheel when I parked the other day in central London! Yep, he was resting his grotty trainers on my tyres whilst his friend was resting his grotty legs by leaning on my bonnet.

I have also noticed that when I was driving an XK, I always used to go past other Jaguar drivers and give a nod or a hi just to acknowledge that we both are driving what I consider to be one of the best marques in the business. I particularly used to look at better versions of my car (XKR), or different models like XKs or XJs. As I was growing up it was standard for people who opted for some makes that were not as common to acknowledge each other when passing...

Now in my XFR I do the same but have noticed that most of the XF or XJ drivers I pass have blinker vision and pretend not to see me (and I am in a damn loud white customised XFR so I know they notice me - if they don't they shouldn't be on the road and the DVLA should take their licences away straight away!).

What is up with that? Okay I know some XJ drivers are just chauffeurs but still, why not even a glance in admiration at a nice car? Most drivers of all these highly polished top of the range Jags must be a little bit interested, right? Does anyone else notice how other XF owners pretend they aren't interested?

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

WaleedRizk said:
Now in my XFR I do the same but have noticed that most of the XF or XJ drivers I pass have blinker vision and pretend not to see me (and I am in a damn loud white customised XFR so I know they notice me - if they don't they shouldn't be on the road and the DVLA should take their licences away straight away!).

What is up with that? Okay I know some XJ drivers are just chauffeurs but still, why not even a glance in admiration at a nice car? Most drivers of all these highly polished top of the range Jags must be a little bit interested, right? Does anyone else notice how other XF owners pretend they aren't interested?
Post merged here:
All discussed before WaleedRizk, start at the top and then the other link.
You will see that little has changed :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think it is the London way to ignore one another or pretend not to notice, especially the more expensive cars.
Since I've had my XFR I have only ever spotted 2 others on the road - the first was in the week I picked up the car (a salsa red example) and more recently another black XFR going in the opposite direction. We both did a double take at each other - more a look of surprise to have spotted another XFR!

It's very different when I'm out in my (bright yellow) Caterham 7 - l've never owned any other car that gets so many friendly waves and thumbs up. The XFR just slinks by unnoticed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
jagseven said:
I think it is the London way to ignore one another or pretend not to notice, especially the more expensive cars.
Since I've had my XFR I have only ever spotted 2 others on the road - the first was in the week I picked up the car (a salsa red example) and more recently another black XFR going in the opposite direction. We both did a double take at each other - more a look of surprise to have spotted another XFR!

It's very different when I'm out in my (bright yellow) Caterham 7 - l've never owned any other car that gets so many friendly waves and thumbs up. The XFR just slinks by unnoticed.
Something I have noticed about the 'London way' is that when another motorist flashes his lights it does not mean 'Hello' or 'Beware there's a speed trap ahead' or 'Of course you may pull out Sir'; it means Get Out Of The Way I'm Coming Through' :twisted: :lol:

And as for 'The XFR slinks by unnoticed' , I can only say that London must be a very strange place indeed :?

·
Registered
162 Posts
raregrin said:
Something I have noticed about the 'London way' is that when another motorist flashes his lights it does not mean 'Hello' or 'Beware there's a speed trap ahead' or 'Of course you may pull out Sir'; it means Get Out Of The Way I'm Coming Through' :twisted: :lol:
Hmmm, I have thought for years that the light flash has been pretty much the correctly accepted meaning, i.e. "please go ahead" or a "thank you for waiting". a LONG flash has been a sign of complaint, like "hey, I am here you idiot!"

·
Registered
162 Posts
jagseven said:
I honestly think that people in London are used to not showing any emotion and being "cool"... most people are happy to not show any appreciation because that would give the said expensive car owner some satisfaction, whereas they wouldn't want to do that now would they as that would imply they are (shock horror) HAPPY for someone else! It can only be summed up a jealousy when it is SO obvious, i.e. when a driver in a highly polished performance car pretends not to care about nicer cars. Yea rrrrright, well why did you spend so much time/money on yours then?

There are a lot of people who really do have lots of cash and aren't really interested in cars but will spend money on them because they beleive it will do wonders for their perception (e.g. all the fashionable poser folk in Aston Martin / Ferrari / Bentley convertibles who call out the AA or RAC to change a tyre so they don't break a nail or have to read the manual to work out where the spare is kept). Am I sounding jealous? I am really not, I just think people should byu things for the right reason. I can buy an expensive car but only because I like cars not because it will make others jealous.

I think thats why people pretend not to notice - because they think that this would make YOU think that they are jealous or in awe.

I'll always take a look at the rarer cars on the road... and even the Astons, the Bentleys, the oh-so-common Porsches and the Ferarris and the Lambos are a bit more common in the City of London but I still marvel at the engineering and beauty...

I have nothing against people who spend money on their cars, but I do have a problem when their attitudes SUCK towards everyone else! I myself bought a high powered XK convertible but I sure as hell was polite and happy when I got compliments and paid a few myself to all manner of cars I saw on the roads...

Rant over! I'll shut up now...

G

·
0 Posts
From now on WaleedRizk I shall flash (my lights!) & wave furiously at any white XF's I see :lol: .

WaleedRizk said:
(e.g. all the fashionable poser folk in Aston Martin
I don't think you will be getting any waves from Penultimateblack :lol: .

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Just remind WaleedRizk, have you a set of Stickers on you XF like Gemset :lol: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
[center:vq9xgx1f][/center:vq9xgx1f]
[center:vq9xgx1f]Click above for full details[/center:vq9xgx1f]

Makes it easier to be spotted as one of us :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Back in the 80's i used to wave at all the other Scimitar owners, not as if you saw that many, but in all the years i had it i can't remember anyone never waving back

1 - 20 of 46 Posts