XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car serviced back in January, I think. I wrote about it in a few posts back then. Since then, I've had problems with the driver's door window. That's the window in the left front door over here. I don't blame the garage, since they haven't done anything that involved the window. It's probably just a coincidence.
The problem is, that if I let the window go up using the one-touch button, so I don't have to keep my finger on the button, the window goes to the top and at once returns to the bottom. But it can't go all the way down. There is an inch or two of the window showing at the bottom of the window opening. It varies a little. I can only roll up the window to the top by doing it "manually", so I release the button exactly when the window is closed.
As long as the window can be shut completely, it's not that much of a problem. The garage is 75 kms away, and that's why I haven't just popped around with the car. It's actually rather time consuming, and it's hard to find the time in a normal working day. I have tried to reset the window by keeping the button pressed while rolling it all the way up and down or something like that. But it doesn't help. Any good ideas, or should I go to the garage and have them fix it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you tried the reset - did you keep the button pressed for at least ten seconds?
So fully open and keep holding button for 10 seconds then fully close and keep holding button for 10 seconds

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you tried the reset - did you keep the button pressed for at least ten seconds?
So fully open and keep holding button for 10 seconds then fully close and keep holding button for 10 seconds
I've just been out trying your instructions. I can roll the window down and hold the button for 10 seconds. Strangely, the window only rolls half way down, when I do that. But when I roll it up again, keeping my finger on the button, the window returns down as soon as it reaches the top. Strangely it is then able to roll almost all the way down. Only about 4-5 cm of window is showing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dear Henrik.
I don't know if you have resolved your window problem yet so I listed below the recommended process as shown in the Jaguar handbook. It states that the windows will need resetting if the battery has been disconnected, becomes discharged or the power supply is interrupted.
To reset: Close the window fully.
Release the switch, then lift it to the closed position and hold for TWO seconds.
Open the window fully.
Release the switch, then push it to the open position and hold for TWO seconds.
Lift and release the switch to operate the one-shot function.
Repeat this procedure on each window.
Th circuit is clever, it checks to see if the current is excessive over time. It uses a Hall sensor to check whether the motor current is correct and takes action prevent obstructions being trapped.

I hope the above is helpful if your problem still persists.

Regards Dos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dear Henrik.
Th circuit is clever, it checks to see if the current is excessive over time.

Regards Dos.
That's a point worth noting. Is the window opening and closing at 'normal' speed - i.e. is there a possibility it's binding on something which is causing the protection to kick-in?
May be worth trying a little lubrication on the sealing rubber!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi XFNI.
I didn't mention more about a possible cause of Henrik's problem since I hoped that a proper reset would cure his misbehaving window. I also wondered whether the other windows worked properly. The car is left hand drive and like mine is about nine to ten years old. I have the 2010 3.0 S Premium Luxury. If parked outside on the road with the associated camber of the road the driver's door lets all the rain and washing water run into the window mechanism. The driving unit is situated at the bottom of the door and in my case became lightly rusted. There are two springs that come into play at the end of each direction of travel. In my case the window didn't display the fault that is occurring on Henrik's car but operation was slow and sometimes noisy. A liberal greasing and oiling of the moving parts brought everything back to normal. It is not a simple quadrant and arm device inside the door but cables and pulleys which can all become dried out causing a heavier load on the drive unit, exacerbated if they start to corrode.
Regards Dos

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Henrik.
I don't know if you have resolved your window problem yet so I listed below the recommended process as shown in the Jaguar handbook. It states that the windows will need resetting if the battery has been disconnected, becomes discharged or the power supply is interrupted.
To reset: Close the window fully.
Release the switch, then lift it to the closed position and hold for TWO seconds.
Open the window fully.
Release the switch, then push it to the open position and hold for TWO seconds.
Lift and release the switch to operate the one-shot function.
Repeat this procedure on each window.
Th circuit is clever, it checks to see if the current is excessive over time. It uses a Hall sensor to check whether the motor current is correct and takes action prevent obstructions being trapped.

I hope the above is helpful if your problem still persists.

Regards Dos.
I don't know, whose advice has helped, but today the window actually worked. I don't use my car every day, so I hadn't tried you advice until today. I did as you suggested above. The window was closed, so I lifted the button actually expecting the window to roll down. But it stayed closed. I held the button up for ten seconds. I had forgotten, you said TWO only. I must have confused the different advice, I have been given. Then I rolled the window down, and it rolled all the way down and into the door. That was the first time since January, it rolled all the way down. Then I held the button down for ten seconds. And now the window works perfectly rolling all the way up and down each time. Like magic! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
So pleased to hear you are now happy with how your window operates. I think the secret (if one can call it that) is to release and then engage the switch again for at least the recommended two seconds to tell whatever logic is involved what to do. It really is nice to know that a good result has come about since I have noticed from reading many posts that an enquirer often does not say how or whether they were helped from the suggestions put forward by others and the post just hangs in limbo.
Dos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, I've joined this forum yesterday, I have Jaguar XF 2013, all expect (front passenger side) door windows are stuck and I can't operate them either using driver side button or their respective ones.

I have tried turning the options windows/mirrors under security/vehicle in system setup, no luck.

I haven't driven the car since lockdown much just a couple of times, thought the battery connection might an issue, so drive good 5 miles yesterday, no joy.

Any suggestions, please.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Gnarenmba.
It's difficult to know where to start without more information about the run up to the current situation.
1. Do you know that they were all working properly until a few days before they all decided to misbehave. OR
2. Have they all been left closed for quite a while.
Do they not move at all, not even just a little bit. The mechanism can become what you might call rusted up if water gets to the spring loaded sleeves where the drive cable enters and leaves the drive unit. I've had to do mine twice on the driver's door and once on the NSF, that's five years from new and again just recently. The driver's door has far more electrics to contend with if you decide to look into the mechanism so I would start with one of the other doors, by removing the door card and inspecting the drive unit at the bottom of the door. Please post how you get on since it's nice to know how problems get resolved.
Regards Dos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dos,

Thank you for your response, here are the answers for your questions, sorry I should have provided these beforehand.

1. Do you know that they were all working properly until a few days before they all decided to misbehave?
OR
2. Have they all been left closed for quite a while.

Left closed for quite a while.

3) Do they not move at all, not even just a little bit

The driver side window makes a sound which makes me think it moves slightly (a bit), but both rear ones, not even a slight movement.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Naren.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Naren.
It sounds as though power is getting to the window if you can hear an attempt at movement by the motor in the door. I must admit I did try to help the window down by pressing against and downwards on the glass when pressing on the button when this occurred last week, the window went down and back up, but stuck again the next day so I took the bull by the horns and set about looking inside the door again to free off the mechanism. Since your windows have not been used for a while I guess the spring bushes on the mechanism have stuck in place. With the door panel off you will see two spring loaded bushes going into the drive unit and these seem to become stuck in place, a gentle wiggle around should allow each of them to be freed off. When I did mine the first time (5 years ago) I lifted the cable off a pulley and was able to grease both bushes and springs and the cable that runs between them by pulling the bushes out of the drive unit. Unfortunately I have to park my car on the road now and the camber seems just right to let water drip onto the cables. As an aside, this time round I lowered the windows and put some silicon grease in the guides to let the glass move more freely. I hope you get your windows back to good health.
Best Wishes, Dos.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just wanted to throw in the de facto reply of check the car's battery. Whilst I have no specific experience that tells me it's the cars battery, Jaguars like many modern cars can experience very wierd problems when the battery starts to fail or loose it's charge. I'd be surprised if it was the battery, but then, I've been surprised before reading on these forums of all the electrical gremlins that are fixed when a new battery is fitted. This and the fact that your cars been standing for a while rings alarm bells.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts