XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the XF a little dirty, I thought a quick wash and dry through the automatic car wash was called for. This is the first time I have put the car through our local wash, I did wash it by hand before - but I prefer the quick and easy automatic wash.

But could I remember how to fold back the mirrors with the engine running? :oops: With the wash now started I had no option but to switch off and lock myself in so as the mirrors would fold back. :shock:

Of course, I now realise that my pushing both mirror buttons activates this feature, but I had visions of both mirrors being ripped off and bashing along the sides of the car.

I'll remember next time and I have a clean XF for now.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
XFCAT said:
With the XF a little dirty, I thought a quick wash and dry through the automatic car wash was called for. This is the first time I have put the car through our local wash, I did wash it by hand before - but I prefer the quick and easy automatic wash.

But could I remember how to fold back the mirrors with the engine running? :oops: With the wash now started I had no option but to switch off and lock myself in so as the mirrors would fold back. :shock:

Of course, I now realise that my pushing both mirror buttons activates this feature, but I had visions of both mirrors being ripped off and bashing along the sides of the car.

I'll remember next time and I have a clean XF for now.
Well I think you did well to consider the options and apply the action you did. Reminds me of the days when it was required to unscrew the ariels that were on the roofs or suffer the consquences. :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh dear, do you not have bunch of friendly Albanians/Serbs/Montenegrans or similar somewhere around? The group that has set up near here are quick, thorough, and cheap (£5) - all without those damn flailing brushes too!

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Having read a little of the manual today, I learned about the need to ensure that the wipers are not left in auto mode before entering a car wash; for what now seems the obvious reason. :shock:
However, I have to confess that if I had entered a car wash as you did, I would have had one more thing to deal with.
Best I stay well away from car wash centres I think :oops:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
craig said:
I wouldnt put my car through an auto wash ever as it is a sure way to end up with severe swirl marks
It's only a concern if you're bothered about such things! As I change my car quite frequently, (four brand new Jags since 2004) its not worth me being overly concerned.

However, I do think auto washes have improved over the years.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
XFCAT said:
craig said:
I wouldnt put my car through an auto wash ever as it is a sure way to end up with severe swirl marks
It's only a concern if you're bothered about such things! As I change my car quite frequently, (four brand new Jags since 2004) its not worth me being overly concerned.

However, I do think auto washes have improved over the years.
Wow, that will have made a few of us jealous :shock: How can you afford it :?:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pekem said:
Wow, that will have made a few of us jealous :shock: How can you afford it :?:
New X Type AWD in May 2004 - sold in June 2005 for new S-Type V6 SE. S-Type sold in February 2007 for new X Type AWD. Sept 2008 new XF.

Hpw do I afford it? Easy! Someone else pays the bills!! Rule number one: never use your own money.

Quite like the sound of a diesel XK. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts