• - Regularly

Votes: 33 13.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new XF 2.7D and it is my first diesel. When i had 350 km made a warning came out on the main screen with DFP Full ! I called the service and they advice me to roll in the 3 gear around 2500 .
After 7 km the sign went off as they expected.
Yesterday i went over 800km and the sign came again. This diesel particle filter suppose to do his job.
I did the run again with 2500 in the 3gear but this time the sign did not came off. I went to the service in the morning and after 3 hours of waiting i had the key again and the only excuse was .... "the is a lot of electonics."
Now the sign is off but who knows. !!!

What do you gays (no girls for sure) think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re: DPF Full !!!

why should this be something that gays (against whom I have nothing whatsoever) would know about?

·
Registered
374 Posts

I think the DPF burnoff only happens under certain driving situations. You need to be driving for a certain time/distance above a certain speed (and RPM). Otherwise the DPF system doesn't burn off the trapped deposits.

So, unless you have a faulty DPF system, I would say that your journeys in your car do not allow the DPF burnoff process to start. You should question the dealer about this, but it is also explained in the Driver's Handbook.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Roma is right. In normal driving the XF will clear its own filter as it uses the exhaust heat to burn off the soot that has collected. However, if you only use your car for low speed and short (time) journeys the car will not meet the temperature required to actually carry out the burn off and it will give you the full indicator. Just take it for a long drive.

·
Registered
618 Posts

dumidan said:
So what i understand is that is normal to have a full DPF after 300 km ?
depends, have you done mainly short journeys or was that a couple of long runs?

·
Registered
22 Posts

Dumidan :shock: - is there a clue in the name? Read the manual - it's very helful and stops you asking daft questions :oops: !

·
Registered
4 Posts

This DPF full is a big problem with the XF for town drivers. We can't all be belting up the motorway just to clear the message.

Yesterday I drove my XF 50mph non-stop on the M1 for one hour and that did not clear the message.

What I would like to know is whether the key is to reach a certain level of speed or the number of revs to burn off the soot. According to my dealer it is constant speed that is important but I feel it must be the high revs that will raise the temperature. In that case I should drive in low gears at high speed. Any thoughts?

Also there is something called diesel extra with low sulphur. Will that help?

·
Administrator
432 Posts

I've only done town miles so far and probably will be doing them for the rest of the week. Only about 200 miles so far though so I'll let you know if I get the dpf warning too.

300km does seem a pretty small amount of miles to need to burn off the soot? Is this a common issue for Diesels or is it particular to the XF?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Jaguar inform me that a new software update is due to come out which will deal with this problem. Does that mean that the message DPF full is incorrect?

It could be a Jaguar problem because I know other drivers that drive diesel and they don't recognize the problem

·
Registered
1 Posts

Michael, I have owned many Jaguar diesel cars in the past and have only driven my car for short periods of time. The problem that you are experiencing has been recently introduced to all Jaguar diesel cars in-order to comply with the soot emission standards.
Unfortunately having had the problem with an S-Type and liaised with Jaguar it seems that there is no easy way to resolve the issue apart from doing the following (as recommended by Jaguar):
o allow the engine to warm up first
o drive the engine at 40 mph for 20 minutes or more
If this does not work you need to take the car back to the dealer where you bought it from.
Frustrating and disappointing I know. It also appears that Jaguar diesels are not the only cars to suffer from this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Once again I had the message DPF full after it had been cleared by the Jaguar garage with great difficulty. My tank was empty so I filled it up this time with the clean diesel (called Ultimate or VPower) which has only 10mg/kg of sulphur instead of the standard 50mg/kg.

I drove the car on the motorway at 60mph in 3rd gear and after only 15 minutes the message cleared. I am hopeful that this clean diesel will solve the problem for the town drivers. I will let you know if the message comes up again. :)

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts

michael155 said:
Once again I had the message DPF full after it had been cleared by the Jaguar garage with great difficulty. My tank was empty so I filled it up this time with the clean diesel (called Ultimate or VPower) which has only 10mg/kg of sulphur instead of the standard 50mg/kg.

I drove the car on the motorway at 60mph in 3rd gear and after only 15 minutes the message cleared. I am hopeful that this clean diesel will solve the problem for the town drivers. I will let you know if the message comes up again. :)
I suspect that it has little to do with the "clean diesel", more to do with driving style or engine management.

·
Registered
618 Posts

If you only ever do around town driving you will get the message regularly. I have had it four times since I got the car in early April. A blast down the motorway soon gets rid of it

·
Registered
759 Posts
For the last few days every time I open my door after shutting the engine down a loud ticking from undernearh the car as if hot metal is cooling down and a burning smell.Set off from Nottingham to Eastbourne and had done 6 miles when DPF FULL message appears and also SERVICE DUE in 600 Miles appears.Phoned dealer and they told me by driving the car the DFP message would eventually go which it did but service message appears each time I start the engine.Dealer now wants car again to investigate as I have done 5500 miles from new and they think that messages are connected but the car is not due for a service! Getting a bit fed up with dealer visits for recalls and other problems latest of which is DPF.Nottingham/ Eastbourne/Nottingham 510 Miles averaging 42 :cry: MPG on computor but will do an accurate check when Car is refuelled.
Any other members had similar problems with DPF?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: DPF

Not had the DPF full message yet. The DPF is supposed to burn off the collected soot on a long, fast run. This would account for the burning smell you get at the end of a long run. The DPF heats the particles collected to very, very high temperatures to vapourise them. There is an inherent flaw in DPF technology where the engine revs too low for the DPF to burn off the collected particles. The XF's engine is very low-revving (check out the red-line rev limit which is painfully low compared to other modern diesel engines). I do sometimes wonder whether some people's regular journeys will be such that the engine is never at a high enough RPM for long enough in order for the DPF to clean the filter.

As for the service due, I doubt that is related to the DPF full message. The XF works out the service interval based on environmental conditions and the type of journeys taken. It's supposed to average 15,000 miles or once a year so a service due at 5,500 miles could be due to many, very short journeys or short journeys stuck in traffic for a long time (as I believe that the total engine idle time is a factor in determining the service due time).

·
Registered
759 Posts

Most of my Journeys are Motorway and not any in stop start traffic etc.Dealer is investigating problem tomorrow.
By filling the Car to the brim again my true average over 520 miles to Eastbourne and back was 38 MPG wheras the computor registred 42MPG.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I also have the ticking noise and DPF full and burning smell. I drove for 19 miles down the m5 tonight to clear it.

I would be interested in what Jag say the problem is. I have mine booked in on Monday for replaced rear windsreen so will raise again

I took it into Stratstone in Brum last Monday for safety recall and asked them to check out knocking noise coming from the front passenger side of the car. They cured it but I have today found out how!! The bonnet can't fit properly as they have glued a piece of plastic to the underside of the bonnet to stop it rattling. This is not the sort of repair I would expect on at £35k car so they will be getting a piece of my mind on Monday

·
Registered
759 Posts

The DPF problem turned out to be software related which also brought on the "Service Required in 500 Miles" message.H A Fox Nottingham service manager was concerned that the DPF problem would have certainly caused overfuelling with some possibly ending up in the sump that they changed the oil and filter as a precaution.
I have to say that my dealer and the service manager in particular have been most helpfull in dealing with the problems and recalls of late and nothing seems too much trouble including a free S type with half a tankfull of petrol for the 2 days they have had my car.
For JEC members watch out for the November magazine where my XF is compared with my 1965 Daimler 2.5 V8 Saloon
:lol:

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts

OK I don't know what the JEC is so in order to read the report you will have to enlighten me. :)

1 - 20 of 441 Posts