XF Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sbject line says it all
After a 200 mile drive mostly motorway the handle was decidedly very warm to hot -= hot enough to make my wife take her hand away quickly when I asked her if it felt hot!

Is this normal. If not, any idea what's going on. It's not phydically connnected to the brake, so maybe an overheating/stuck realy/solenoid? Thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Rob

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
We have had reports of this before and only yesterday I was conscious of the warmth of mine when I rested my hand on it. A search has thrown up a little about it here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=958

I have to say after 18000 odd miles it is not something that has troubled me and I noticed it occurring from the outset :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine always gets hot from brake lever to gear selector its seems to be common although no good reason has been given for it.

gary

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Yes, very. I queried my dealer and apparently Jaguar has a maximum temperature below which this is said to be "normal"!

During normal daily driving it does not get warm. On highway or freeway (motorway) trips it always gets very hot regardless of outside temperature.

I think it is heat soak from below the car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
We should regard this as a feature - you have to pay for heated seats and a heated steering wheel but we all get a heated gear selector and handbrake for free :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I noticed this:

I embarked on a drive from Glasgow to Swindon with the ASL on. By the time I got to Charnock Richard, the handbrake was very hot. It didn't burn me or anything, but it was very hot. I did the other half of the journey with the ASL off, and the handbrake didn't heat up very much at all.

The ASL and cruise are the same function (I think), so it'd be interesting to see if anyone's witnessed the same phenomenon using the cruise; it might be that the circuitry is underneath there.

I don't know if it'd be worth getting it looked at; I suspect the control is metallised plastic, so probably would never get hot enough to burn you.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
This appears to be a random phenomenon. I drove to Banff from Calgary and the EPB handle got very hot. I drove back today, same distance, same use of cruise control, same speed and pretty much same ambient temperature and the EPB handle got barely warm.

G

·
0 Posts
Elsewhere on the Forum (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2254) there is a view that a warm/hot EPB lever can be an indication of a faulty circuit board that might ultimately lead to the failure of the gear selector mechanism. So how warm is acceptable? The area around the EPB on my Nov 2008 2.7 certainly gets warm on a long run but not unduly so. Does anyone have an XF where the EPB/gear selector area remains completely cold on a long run?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine never gets hot. I would say it gets tepid - barely more warm than ambient temperature.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

Just run down M/way @ 70 mph for 50 and 38 miles (A2/M2) and both gear selector dial and epb pull stayed cool. I did notice that when I stopped the epb pull warmed slightly..became tepid at most.

As an aside at a constant 70 mph (c control) trip computer showed 38 mpg on return (38 mile) journey i.e. from warm engine start up.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I notice that the area of the side of the console to the left of the EPB handle and a bit forward of it also gets a bit warmer than the rest of the same area when the EPB handle is hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine has been hot since day 1 (july 2008) but only when the car is used for longer periods of time. I am now having gearbox failure problems and I am tod that the two issues could be related.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum FredB :)
It is interesting that we are often only visited after an episode of mechanical failure; I hope that all is sorted out with your car soon.
Whilst you are here though, I am bound to ask if you have you seen the message about the forum Stickers
After all, now that you have found us it would be good if you would stay :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Warm to hot parking brake lever will eventually lead to failure of the rotating gear selector,gearbox fault message and then you are stuck literally!Since mine was replaced 2 weeks ago the new module remains cold so hopefully will not cause any further problems.
The UK Company who manufacture the module have been attemping through Jaguar to get Dealers to repair the wiring joint fault, the cause of the overheating,with a joint repair process which has not been very successfull, so it is better to insist on the whole module being replaced as the fault is not appearing on the newer modules.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Here's the latest from my dealer in Canada:

Heat for consul area we are being told is normal.
Service Action "K048" - XF Transmission Control Switch stuck in Gear, to be
released any day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts