XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've a powerboat that I have towed with a variety of vehicles; it weighs in around 1700Kg.

I've just got rid of my previous 4x4 as my good wife wanted her MX-5 back (that I traded in to get the 4x4); so now I've not got a tow car!

I was struggling on the slipway when launching with my previous saloon car to that, an A6 2.0TDI, and I had trouble where I got a slipping clutch on the slipway (manual gearbox), - it was fine on the open (level) road though.

So, do you think my 2.7D will handle 1700Kg weight on a 10% (or so) slipway, or should I go and buy another (cheap) 4x4 to handle this (I previously also had a 4.0V6 Ford Explorer which did the job just fine).

Cheers
Kenny

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Guidance is offered on Page 175 of the handbook.
It does state that a Maximum weight for a trailer ,with overrun brakes, is 1850KG and for an unbraked trailer it is 750 KG :)
If that makes any sense to you :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guidance is offered on Page 175 of the handbook.
It does state that a Maximum weight for a trailer ,with overrun brakes, is 1850KG and for an unbraked trailer it is 750 KG
Thanks Pekem, I've seen that. However, pulling a hefty load on a wet slip pushes the limits of the specification that is normally based on the kerbside weight of the vehicle, rather than on it's ability to pull up wet/slippery surfaces.

Probably the most important factor is the transmission, with an automatic being better than a manual (as there is no clutch to slip), then it's down to how well the power can be applied through the wheels, and that's where the 4x4's win.

On paper the XF should work fine, but I'm interested if anyone has some experience of it as a tow-car.

Cheers
Kenny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts