XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Excuse the question but I've had some thoughts since organising my insurance. Does a factory fitted option (in my case the 19" Carelia wheels) be classed as a modification for insurance purposes?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've just checked my insurance wording and it does not count factory fitted options but does count accessories. If the wheels were instead of the standard ones then I'd say you are OK to ignore.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same chat with my insurer when changing over my policy....as long as it left the factory with the part then its not a modification.
However if you later add a tow bar,wheels etc then thats a mod even if the dealer fits it.
Compare your car now to what is shown when you check it on TOPix and you'll know what left the factory.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good question and I thought that might be the case if fitted at the factory then it wasn't a modification :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im playing it safe with mine and have declared everything. Fortunatley the insurance company I am going with told me that as they are "Factory fit optional extras" they don't need to be declared. The only thing I may need to declare (having read a few posts) are the dealer fit accessories (illuminated sills & mirror pack).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi everyone,

Excuse the question but I've had some thoughts since organising my insurance. Does a factory fitted option (in my case the 19" Carelia wheels) be classed as a modification for insurance purposes?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Its only a matter of time before this comes in (charging extra for options kit).
The highway robbers will realise this is an avenue to make more cash.

Here's another example to be wary of.
A friend of mine recently had someone reverse into his car while parked and scuffed the paintwork.
He rang his insurance company to weigh up the options and ask advice and the result was that after a less than 5 minute call, he decide to repair at his own cost.
A few weeks later he spotted an £80 charge on his bank statement from his insurance company and when he questioned it, he was advised it was a premium increase as he had rang the insurance company in the first place. So he may as well have claimed as the call goes down as a claim in the fuzzy world on insurance companies eye's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is known as a "notification only" claim. The very same happened to me when my car was damaged in a carpark and I rang up to check my excess( Lost my paperwork). Last year I had insurance cancelled because I didn't declare a previous claim - When I checked it was because I notified my insurance of damage even though I didnt claim.

Lesson learned for the future, get quotes, decide if its worth sorting yourself and then decide whether to claim (or notify!!!!).

When I re-applied and explained the situation my insurance had gone up as I was deemed a risk due to the damage. As you may guess I wasn't very amused!

·
Registered
48 Posts
To be fair, these events (non-fault) are statistically proven to be linked to an increased risk of an 'at fault' claim, so the insurer is only reacting to changing data on your risk profile, and charging accordingly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To be fair, these events (non-fault) are statistically proven to be linked to an increased risk of an 'at fault' claim, so the insurer is only reacting to changing data on your risk profile, and charging accordingly.
A single event cannot be statistically significant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not individually, but when viewed across thousands of driver/vehicle records, then obviously patterns can be seen.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The whole industry is shocking if you ask me. There are so many variations in each quote it's a nightmare to get a like for like. Then when you come to renew 12 months later with no change in circumstances, the renewal is guaranteed to be higher (I'd actually like to know if there is anyone who has had a renewal lower than the previous year!).

Then there are stupid questions like this that we really shouldn't be scared of, but are. If you have bought a second hand car and you're the regular kind of buyer that is not savvy. The car has a nice exhaust note and tinted windows. Will the insurer not pay out if you're in an accident as the tints and exhaust are not factory standard? If you've fitted them, fair enough, but if you buy a second hand car do you have to go and check the original spec (which might not be right anyway) and compare it to the car you have?! How many cars now come with tints and a sports exhaust as an option?

Things like illuminated sills are crazy. How on earth could/should that impact your insurance? Are you more/less risk? It might impact the price given if the car was a total loss, but even then the insurance company will be looking to give you the lowest price they can and not give any consideration to the factory options that you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts