XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil level today and it was fairly dirty. Not black, but it didn't look too clean. I've done around 2,000 miles. The level hadn't dropped. I know that oil gets mucky in the first few thousand miles as the engine is bedding in and bits of metal particles are deposited into the oil but I wasn't expecting it to look this dirty!

I hate to think what it'll look like after 15,000 miles when the first service is due! On my previous car I had the oil and oil filter changed after 7,000 miles. I may do the same with the XF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are not alone I checked my oil today [done 1900 miles ]and thought how dirty it looked (but still at top mark) as I could now see it clearly on the stick [was difficult to see were oil level was when nearly new ]

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
After 3000 miles the oil in my car is dark also, but it is not a problem. The way modern detergent motor oil works minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. They pose no danger to the engine, but they cause the oil to darken. A non-detergent oil would stay clearer than a detergent oil because the soot would be left on the internal engine parts and create sludge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts