XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2010 model XF comes with a misfuel prevention device. Has anyone with a 2.7D car fitted one of these replacement filler caps to prevent misfuelling of their car?

Fuel Angel - http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/index.asp
Caparo RightFuel - http://www.caparorightfuel.com/contact/contact-us.asp
SoloDiesel - http://solodiesel.co.uk/?gclid=CPCg3cnp ... QgodfBZ6DA

None of them list the XF on the compatibility charts, but apparently there are only 4 types of fuel filler cap in use today so someone may have tried one of them!

Not cheap for a fuel cap! But cheaper than throwing away a tank of unleaded and flushing the tank!

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
AndyB said:
The new 2010 model XF comes with a misfuel prevention device. Has anyone with a 2.7D car fitted one of these replacement filler caps to prevent misfuelling of their car?

Fuel Angel - http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/index.asp
SoloDiesel - http://solodiesel.co.uk/?gclid=CPCg3cnp ... QgodfBZ6DA

None of them list the XF on the compatibility charts, but apparently there are only 4 types of fuel filler cap in use today so someone may have tried one of them!

Not cheap for a fuel cap! But cheaper than throwing away a tank of unleaded and flushing the tank!
I do not believe any of the above provide a solution for the present XF
I was in correspondence with the designer of one of these devices a while ago and he told me that if he produced one to fit he would let me know; he never has and it may be that he never will now.
It was for this reason that I fitted the device shown in the post linked below.
It works wonderfully well except yesterday I was on the forecourt of Waitrose in Rushden where construction work is being undertaken and was unable to hear the "little man" in my filler bowl shouting to me not to fill up with petrol. :!:
I did remember not to, so all was well :lol:
By the way, my little device was only a fiver :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=783&p=5971#p5971

·
Registered
294 Posts
Glad to see that we shop in the same supermarket, pekem, though apparently never at the same time! :)

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
Glad to see that we shop in the same supermarket, pekem, though apparently never at the same time! :)
I think you are a "weekender" and I a "mid week" so perhaps we will never share the park at the same time :(
Be warned, I think the date was said to be 13th to the 16th of this month, just when you might attend, that the station would be closed to enable the completion of the work going on there ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
anyone who puts the wrong fuel in their car is an idiot as it doesnt take much to be accurate in the pump that you pick up. I can understand it when people are driving hire cars etc but when its your own car there really is no excuse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've always driven a mixture of diesel and petrol vehicles and don't understand why people can't discipline themselves. It only takes 5 seconds before you lift the holster out of the pump. Check, check and check again...Read the words on both the fuel cap and the pump. I'm sorry but I don't get why this is such a difficult thing to do.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Qhunter said:
I've always driven a mixture of diesel and petrol vehicles and don't understand why people can't discipline themselves. It only takes 5 seconds before you lift the holster out of the pump. Check, check and check again...Read the words on both the fuel cap and the pump. I'm sorry but I don't get why this is such a difficult thing to do.
It is not always possible for people to do as you suggest for a myriad of reasons.
Perhaps the most common would be pressure and distraction causing a momentary lack of concentration. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
"to err is human; to forgive divine"

It happens, let's not rant over a mistake albeit potentially expensive and silly, but a mistake none the less .

Paul (yet to share the misfortune)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry Pekem but I disagree. It takes a couple of seconds and the discipline to check, that's all. I've been driving a mixture of diesel and petrol vehicles for the wrong side of a quarter of a century and I've never come close to mis-fuelling.

"car, diesel, pump, diesel, car diesel, pump diesel" Job done.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Qhunter said:
Sorry Pekem but I disagree. It takes a couple of seconds and the discipline to check, that's all. I've been driving a mixture of diesel and petrol vehicles for the wrong side of a quarter of a century and I've never come close to mis-fuelling.

"car, diesel, pump, diesel, car diesel, pump diesel" Job done.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My comment was supposed to be ironic. I was trying to gently make the point that you had been distracted and failed to check your post. You wrote:

It only takes 5 seconds before you lift the holster out of the pump. Check, check and check again...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ha, Doh! :D I know what I meant. See, that's what happens when you don't check!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just filled up with unleaded with the so called protection system it did not :shock: work!! I have a 4 week old. XF. So don't waste money looking at fitting the protection system!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a few reports of the Jaguar misfuel prevention system not working. Some people have fitted one of the aftermarket systems which work well on both 2.7 and 3.0 cars. I currently have one of these fitted to my 2.7 which doesn't have the Jaguar system..
I understand Pekem has the FuelAngel on his 3.0
Hopefully you will get your tank drained and flushed and the fuel filter replaced and all will be well with your car without too much expense. You should be ok. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in Florida during the summer....Disney for my son...who after the holiday said he preferred Cyprus..???????

That aside I was just about to fill up at a petrol station for my hire car which was petrol...just before I started fuelling a man came up to me and started to talk about buying my theme park tickets and trying to sell me excursions etc. Basically said no thanks, thinking to myself go away pest.

Picked up the green nozzle ready to fill the car when he just happened to turn back around and said by the way your car is petrol and you are just about to put diesel into the car :oops:

I hadn't a clue that the colours were reversed in America so ended up thanking the man profusely and going on my merry way.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
doddse said:
I have just filled up with unleaded with the so called protection system it did not :shock: work!! I have a 4 week old. XF. So don't waste money looking at fitting the protection system!!
Welcome to the forum doddse :)
Sorry to read that you have suffered a misfueling incident. I am not sure what you mean by saying " So don't waste money looking at fitting the protection system!!" Surely the point is that you have already paid for the system and on this occasion it failed.
We have had quite a bit on this subject and you will be interested in this
Misfuel topic.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
In Canada Diesel pump handles can be black or yellow. Petrol are usually red.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
AndyB, do you have any difficulty filling the tank with the mis-fuelling device fitted? I have tried three aftermarket devices up to now, and have removed all of them after experiencing various problems with filling the tank up.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
philayl said:
AndyB, do you have any difficulty filling the tank with the mis-fuelling device fitted? I have tried three aftermarket devices up to now, and have removed all of them after experiencing various problems with filling the tank up.
Philayl are you sure it is the device and not the pump that is causing the problem. I have a Fuel Angel in my 3.00 and it works well. We have had discussion about the anti- spill device fitted to some pumps which can be a real pain. Slow filling pumps

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
philayl said:
No problem filling at all. In fact filling up with the device fitted is simple and as the device actually blocks the opening completely until the pump nozzle is inserted it is also very reassuring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts