XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had posts about diesel fuel consumption before and it might be worthwhile revisiting the subject in view of the considerably greater number of XF owners that are members here today.

Does anyone have any really good records :?:

Zortech provided a picture of his fuel meter and wrote elsewhere:
Zortech said:
I use to reset fuel meter at each tank full, I have a small app on my iphone to help me keep trace of my cars fuel consumtion. So I can know for each full tank the total distance and average fuel use. I use to add some note to precise roughly percentage part of motorway journey and in city traffic.
I will try here to give info for translation:
During the first day of the XF up to about 1 864 miles: 13.6 l/km (20.5 mpg).
The picture I post is showing the Lowest I could do after 100k in city trafic Jam and 70k on motorway: 6.5 l/km (43.5 mpg)
Average now: 8.5 to 10 l/100km (33.23 mpg to 28 mpg)
I have to precise that in two month I already have 7000 km (4 349 Mile) on the XF

Hope translation is better this time :oops:

·
Registered
39 Posts
pekem said:
We have had posts about diesel fuel consumption before and it might be worthwhile revisiting the subject in view of the considerably greater number of XF owners that are members here today.

Does anyone have any really good records :?:

" really good records ?"
You probably don't believe my records, sorry to have disturb the forum.
these records are as "good" as from an XF 2.7 D
I just wanted to share with the forum how good this car can be even at fuel consumption
Last picture here from my iPhone app to show each time I fill up the tank.
You will notice the same I said before: my XF was consuming about
13 liters/100 km = 21.7293028 miles/gallon(UK)
Now the same car is doing:
8.5 liters/100 km = 33.2330513 miles/gallon(UK)
Conversion made with help of : http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm
And to add, I really like the XF. :D :D
Have a nice day.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for that Zortech :)
Your figures look very interesting and I have to ask; what is a typical journey that you undertake :?:
Is it around town and for very short distances or what :?:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rclifford said:
my mileage is at 12k now and for the last 3k I have averaged 35.5 mpg on the computer which is up 3 mpg on the first 10k
And the same question as I asked Zortech, what sort of motoring are you doing :?:

·
Vendor
561 Posts
Might be cheating, but...currently seeing around 38 mpg as an average per tank. Car is mainly used for longer journeys at about 80 mph criusing with a bit of town. If the trip is reset whilst on the motorway it will return about 41.5 mpg average.

The performance testing over the weekend reduced the average to 33.8 mpg.

Car's done 8000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
pekem said:
Thank you for that Zortech :)
Your figures look very interesting and I have to ask; what is a typical journey that you undertake :?:
Is it around town and for very short distances or what :?:
Pekem,
For my part I would say I have two type of journey.
1- I use to drop my son at school which is at about 10 mile away from home, this part is mainly done in traffic Jam as we live at 7 miles from Brussels, and the local motorway traffic is alwasy busy.
Then I have to do another 7 mile to my company office close to European Parliament: again in slow traffic.
2- Twice a week, I use to travel to some client at about 65 mile from Brussels at about 80 mph.
So most driving are done not in city slow traffic which may explain the low mpg compare to SpiresST journey type.
However, the previous picture showing an average of 6.5l/km or 43.5 mpg happens when doing motorway journey for about half of the total tank, and at average speed of 80 mph, which I think is good for such a car

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the best I have managed, as far as the meter is concerned, was a few weeks ago on an uninterupted journey on good flat Cambridgeshire roads, and after a reset, was:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Currently my 2.7D has done only 2,977 miles and the best that I have had is 41 mpg (measured on the car's fuel consumption meter). This was a longish trip to see a client at Crawley and was mostly motorway cruising, at an indicated 80 - 82 which my speed camera detecting GPS makes 75 -76 true.

Around town, and on my drive to work of 6 miles through relatively heavy traffic most of the way, the consumption drops right down and has only been 27 - 28 at worst. I collected the car on 6th December and so it has been used only in cold weather.........! roll on Spring.

Add in a few 30 mile round trips to the Yacht Club, however, and it goes back up to 31 -32.

In a few thousand miles it may well be better but I am OK with it. It's a great car to drive as well, way ahead of my X Type that I traded in for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my 35.5mpg is predominantly a 20 mile each way commute, mostly motorway 50-95mph depending on traffic with about 3 miles 0-25mph crawl to the office. Obviosuly it depends on speed but if I stick at 50-60mph it will register 40+mpg easy (Best was 42), at 90-95 it drops to low 30's, doesnt seem to make too much difference if I switch the air con off, so it must be a pretty efficient system.

·
Registered
100 Posts
after 1100 miles i was averaging 32.8mpg in my 2.7D, i only do a couple of journeys a week, a 125mile each way journey monday am / friday pm on the motorways (sadly the m25 is part of that) and then the odd 5 mile round trip to tesco! The car is often carrying a fair bit of weight (my suitcase and stuff for the week, not me!) but i offset this by never having a full tank.

i'm going to reset the fuel monitor tomorrow after the engine is remapped and we'll see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yesterday driving from Basingstoke to Woodbridge (approx 150 miles) just going with the flow over 2.5 hours on the M4, M25 and A12 according to the trip computer average mpg was 46.1.

Now i have 12000 miles on the clock the daily average for my normal round trip is a fraction above the 40 mark. It has definitly got better with the mileage combined with the milder weather

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car has done 13000 miles and recently had its first service. Another poster [can't find it] wrote about his fuel consumption improving after the first service, plus I know my car was given a "reflash" of the software.

Anyhow today my car came up with the dreaded DPF full, I was near a motorway and had a few minutes, and for those 20 miles, including 1 mile to reach the motorway, cruising around 83mph [which really equals 75 in my car] the consumption was over 45 mpg. Peak showing was 48.2 during the journey, this was uphill, downhill, busy urban motorway cruise.

This is definitely more than I have been getting. Maybe warmer weather helps, no heated screens on, aircon on but not under stress.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tone the Bone said:
My car has done 13000 miles and recently had its first service. Another poster [can't find it] wrote about his fuel consumption improving after the first service, plus I know my car was given a "reflash" of the software.

Anyhow today my car came up with the dreaded DPF full, I was near a motorway and had a few minutes, and for those 20 miles, including 1 mile to reach the motorway, cruising around 83mph [which really equals 75 in my car] the consumption was over 45 mpg. Peak showing was 48.2 during the journey, this was uphill, downhill, busy urban motorway cruiseThis is definitely more than I have been getting. Maybe warmer weather helps, no heated screens on, aircon on but not under stress.
And is that with a few sides of Scotch Beef in the boot Tom :lol:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just filled the 3.0D S for the first time and reset the trip computer...

Drove home my 35 miles from work - single A road with 3 miles of B road....drove between 50 and 70 mph but tried to stick to 60.

Average fuel consumption 40.8 MPG.

Amazing for a 270 bhp car!

·
Registered
281 Posts
boothy said:
Just filled the 3.0D S for the first time and reset the trip computer...

Drove home my 35 miles from work - single A road with 3 miles of B road....drove between 50 and 70 mph but tried to stick to 60.

Average fuel consumption 40.8 MPG.

Amazing for a 270 bhp car!
I've not come close to a figure like that. The best I've seen on the Auto trip is roughly 32 and that's not with a big heavy right foot ;) .

Am driving from home on the South Coast to Newmarket and back on Friday so be interesting to see what the average is after a good run - I'll let you know

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just avoid the jumps at Newmarket, it's more economical... ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
twosheds said:
Just avoid the jumps at Newmarket, it's more economical... ;)
I'll be fine - it's a flat course :D :D :D :D

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andy,
Before you set off, set the meter to zero and then see what you achieve.
Look for me in the Rutland Arms at lunchtime :!:

·
Registered
281 Posts
pekem said:
Andy,
Before you set off, set the meter to zero and then see what you achieve.
Look for me in the Rutland Arms at lunchtime :!:
Will reset the trip before I leave.

Is The Rutland Arms near the racecourse :?:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts