XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a fuel like BP Ultimate Diesel or Shell V-Power Diesel and if so does it make a difference in performance or economy? I've never tried the stuff myself in previous cars but I'm willing to give it a go if its recommended.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would have to agree. I tested BP ultimate with 5 tanks full and then 5 of ordinary and I couldnt notice a difference in performance and the economy was no change

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will stick to the 'standard' stuff then!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do think that the performance of the different graded fuels depends on the specific engine. I've always been of the opinion that diesel is diesel is diesel and there's no difference between them. I've never heard of anyone saying they've seen any difference as a result of using the so-called higher grade diesels.

Slightly off topic, I accidentally put high performance petrol in the bike (the pump cleverly only had diesel and super grade petrol dispensed via a green trigger so I thought I was purchasing standard lead free) and only noticed what I'd done when I'd got 20% more fuel in terms of cost that I was expecting. There was no change in performance but the economy of that tank full was dreadful. Instead of the usual 190-200 mile tank range I was back at the pumps at 150ish.

There are cars about that do stipulate higher grade fuels. A friend of mine has a Focus ST220 which stipulates premuim petrol. As the XF's 2.7 is a PAS engine and also destined for more humble cars than the XF (Citroen's C5 as one example) I would have been surprised if it came with a stipulation for premium diesel.

The proof of the pudding will be to try it, I suppose, but others here have said they've tried the higher grade diesel and not noticed any difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use BP Ultimate, this however is the first car that I have decided to use it with. People say that it doesn't make any difference to performance or economy and I'm not in a position to argue as I havn't used regular fuel in the XF. But, as the fuel is of a higher quality, then I presume that emissions will be slightly lower and the engine will last slightly longer - but I don't know for sure, I'm not a fuel expert by any means.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts