XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently ordered my xf and like all others cars i have owned i like to look after it. I have just bought stage 1 and stage2 diamondbright polish which i have never used before and i was wondering how do you apply it to the car? Do you apply stage 1 then polish off and then apply stage 2? Or do you apply one and then the other on top and polish both off together. This does sound unlikly.

I appretiate your thoughts
Ps i haven't got the the polish yet i have ordered it of the internet so it might come with instructions.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
It is interesting that you will undertake the initial application yourself. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that it needed to be applied by an accredited agent. I thought this because I understood that a warranty was available with it. I can understand that the conserver would be applied on a DIY basis because I think it is applied monthly.
Maybe, someone will provide the answer :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
It is interesting that you will undertake the initial application yourself. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that it needed to be applied by an accredited agent. I thought this because I understood that a warranty was available with it. I can understand that the conserver would be applied on a DIY basis because I think it is applied monthly.
Anybody can do it! I have applied Diamondbrite to my last four cars with excellent results. The paintwork looked like new after three years. Wash your car very thoroughly using a mild (Diamondbrite) shampoo, rinse and dry. Apply Stage 1 and leave it to dry to a hazy finish then apply Stage 2. When thoroughly dry polish with a soft cloth. You will need CONSERVER which should be applied monthly after washing the car.

OK so you don't get the "warranty" whatever that means, if you DIY, but anybody with a modicum of patience can Diamondbrite their car and save a few hundred quid.

BTW, neat conserver is very good for polishing out minor scratches.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
Anybody can do it! I have applied Diamondbrite to my last four cars with excellent results. The paintwork looked like new after three years. Wash your car very thoroughly using a mild (Diamondbrite) shampoo, rinse and dry. Apply Stage 1 and leave it to dry to a hazy finish then apply Stage 2. When thoroughly dry polish with a soft cloth. You will need CONSERVER which should be applied monthly after washing the car.

OK so you don't get the "warranty" whatever that means, if you DIY, but anybody with a modicum of patience can Diamondbrite their car and save a few hundred quid.

BTW, neat conserver is very good for polishing out minor scratches.
Thank you for the information, I am wondering if the benefit of the system is available to a car that has been out and about, albeit having been cleaned and polished regularly from new :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
Thank you for the information, I am wondering if the benefit of the system is available to a car that has been out and about, albeit having been cleaned and polished regularly from new :?:
After washing the car thoroughly using a good shampoo run your finger tips over the upper surfaces. If you feel any roughness use the Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System
I did this with my five year old XKR and the result was amazing. After the Diamondbrite treatment the car looked brand new!

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
After washing the car thoroughly using a good shampoo run your finger tips over the upper surfaces. If you feel any roughness use the Meguiar's Quik Clay Detailing System
I did this with my five year old XKR and the result was amazing. After the Diamondbrite treatment the car looked brand new!
Thanks for that :)
I was thinking earlier that if you said that is was OK to go ahead I would opt for claying rather than rely on their shampoo, which may or may not be fine for a new car. My understanding is that many news cars would benefit from claying, not so much the XF because it is still warm when it is delivered to the dealer from the factory, as opposed to those cars that get stockpiled on an old airfield for a few weeks before registering.
I did clay my car at the outset and have used Meguiar's Detailer on a regular basis since, so you can imagine that the surface on mine is truly smooth and glassy.
I just need to convince myself that the Diamondbrite will enhance what presently is a showroom finish :?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Apologies for being a numpty but can someone explain 'claying' please? I am having my XF (which I pick up on Monday) treated with Supaguard which I have found brilliant on two previous cars I have owned.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
I just need to convince myself that the Diamondbrite will enhance what presently is a showroom finish :?
Diamondbrite will protect your showroom finish as dirt is repelled and water runs of the car as if it has just been waxed. Assuming the monthly conserver treatment the shine will last indefinitely. It's not quite as bright as you get when using those expensive wax polishes, but neither do you get white powdery dust in all the cracks and crevices.

it's not exactly expensive! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIAMONDBRITE-BOTT ... 286.c0.m14

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
Diamondbrite will protect your showroom finish as dirt is repelled and water runs of the car as if it has just been waxed. Assuming the monthly conserver treatment is done the shine will last indefinitely. It's not quite as bright as you get when using those expensive wax polishes, but neither do you get white powdery dust in all the cracks and crevices.

it's not exactly expensive! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIAMONDBRITE-BOTT ... 286.c0.m14

·
Registered
374 Posts
andrewll said:
Apologies for being a numpty but can someone explain 'claying' please? I am having my XF (which I pick up on Monday) treated with Supaguard which I have found brilliant on two previous cars I have owned.
Claying is part of a process known as 'detailing'. Detailing is ensuring that every part of your car is dirt-free and visually appealing.

Claying usually applies to the car's paintwork (although some people clay the glass and wheels of their car). Claying involves a piece of 'clay' known as a clay bar (which is usually sold as a small slab of soft, plasticine-like material) and some lubricant (which is usually a quick-detailer spray).

All paintwork traps minute particles which stay embedded in the clearcoat of your paintwork despite washing and waxing your car. These not only spoil the lustre of your paintwork but also disperse light in random directions. This causes your paintwork to look tired and dull. Normal washing cannot remove these particles.

A clay bar wiped over your paintwork 'pulls' these particles off. Prior to claying your paintwork must be washed thoroughly with a good, mild car shampoo and then dried (though it's not that important to dry the car prior to claying it). Then your paintwork must be well lubricated with a quick detailer in order for the clay bar to be able to glide across your paintwork without marring the surface. A quick detailer is a spray-on gloss-enhancing treatment for you paintwork. The lubricant is sprayed on a small section of the paintwork (eg. a 2ft x 1ft section at a time) so that it is thoroughly drenched. The clay bar (warmed up so it's soft) is formed into a disc shape and then wiped lightly over the wet surface. Initially you'll feel a slight resistance as tiny particles embedded in your paintwork are pulled away by the clay bar. As you wipe back and forth (and NOT in a circular motion), you'll feel less and less resistance until there is virtually no resistance whatsoever which indicates that the paintwork is free of surface contaminants.

The side of the clay bar in contact with the paintwork will have turned a dirty brown in colour due to the trapped dirt particles picked up from the paintwork. You then fold the clay bar over itself to expose a new clean surface, ready for claying the next section.

Claying, if done properly, will provide a very smooth finish to your paintwork but then requires other processes to finish the paintwork (eg. cleansing, glazing, sealing, waxing, etc). You can't just leave the paintwork clayed as it will have no protection from the elements.

Claying should not be used on paintwork-treated finishes (eg. Diamondbrite).

Claying can benefit all cars of all ages. I clayed my XF a couple of months after I got it and the difference was amazing. Claying should only be carried out once or twice a year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
andrewll said:
Thank you Roma, that explains it perfectly. Sounds like hard work though !!
It's not that strenuous to be honest. It's very therapeutic! Mind you, with all of the activities required before claying and after claying, you need to allow around eight hours to do a full detailing job on your XF. The claying part itself can be done in about an hour.

I estimate that a full detailing burns up around 600-700 calories so keeps you fit too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that everyone. Diamond brite shampoo and conserver is next on the shopping list. TTFN

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
shapes said:
Try this one on you tube http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_BdeU9YV4 i never thought of looking on you tube for instructions. The other video regarding claying was very good to.
I have viewed that video, thank you, and I bound to ask if it is simply a matter of branding between Diamondbrite and CarPlan. I have a container of a liquid from CarPlan and reading the instructions and description I am left wondering if they are both similar products. Certainly, they both make mention of new Nanotechnology. This is described as "Nano particles are 1,000,000th of 1mm in size. Each nano particle bonds to the surface making it completely smooth, repelling dirt, water and harmful UV rays"
Seems to be a big differnce in price but I am wondering about performance :)
http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?category=68

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like i've started something here. Anyway the diamond brite shampoo and conserver is ordered i'll let you all know the out come. Cars due beginning of October. so watch this space. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have just joined the Forum.

I am an avid Jaguar fan, my current vehicle is a XJR 2001 model (X308) which is a fanastic vehicle in every respect and I am sure will be considered as a future classic in years to come, as many people prefer this model shape and styling over the existing XJR (X350) shape.

I am considering upgrading in the not too distant future and I will have a XF on a 24 hour test drive in a few weeks time.

I have had my XJR and previous Jaguar X300 Sovereign and my wife's brand new 08 VW Polo all done with the Diamondbrite treatment and I have to say that is it really good, although you have to keep on top of it on a regular basis and use the Conserver top up in about every 5th or 6th wash that you do.

I have had all my vehicles done by an approved independent agent / car valeter and although somewhat expensive (£200+) for the Jaguar, I believe it was worth every penny especially over the life of the vehicle.

I do not wish to "scaremonger" on here, but I would be very very careful in sourcing Diamondbrite products from somebody on e-Bay, just my view, as I have heard of previous instances of some people just using up old bottles and filling them with in effect what was a watered down substitute for the real thing.

That is not to say that there are not traders with the genuine product on e-Bay, just be aware.

There is also the question of the Diamondbrite guarantee/warranty, as I understand it, this is only valid if the product is applied by one of their recognised and approved agents.

I am looking forward to the XF test drive.

Regards

LightingMan

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :)
Thank you for your advice re eBay sellers. It had not crossed my mind that such a thing could happen; but then I did not ever look on eBay because of the link provided earlier.
Have you got as far as deciding your colour etc of an XF?
It is a truly magnificent car and you will enjoy your day with one enormously.
Look forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Pekem,

Thank you for your kind comments.

No, I have not seriously looked at the colour issue as yet, however I am aware that this might prove to be a difficult final decision to make as there are such good choices.

I like the dark metallic greens and the black also looks very classy but then the lunar grey for instance, as posted by a gentleman on here recently also looks great.

I will need to see them in the flesh so to speak as a complete car to make the final decision.

I travel a lot within the UK as a Sales Manager, I shall now be on the look out for XF vehicles everywhere I go. This in my opinion is part of the thrill in doing one's homework before signing that order form.

Also. what what I have read on here so far, the choice of Jaguar dealer might also be a crucial decision at the time of purchasing the XF.

Regards
LightingMan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts