XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all; I' m hoping some of you guys in the South East may be able to help me.

I'm in the market for an Approved XF, most likely 2.7D and as with any warranty covered car, I am keen to know that I will get the right kind of support from the dealer I chose. A budget of £30k ish is rather a step up from my previous safe bets so I am being a little cautious!

There a number of choices of cars available in the above area, but I really wanted to hear from people who have had particularly positive experiences of dealers in this area (I am in Rochester, Kent). If there are any horror stories, I'm sure I'll find them by searching (and frankly I don't want to encourage any potentially libelous posts!).

Also if I could ask for your experience on anything I should keep an eye out for I would be extremely grateful. I will be using the car for work and covering up to 20k miles per annum, and if the general opinion is that I should stretch to a 3.0D considering the above (and that I intend to run this car for up to 4 years) I'd be keen to hear your thoughts.

I know it's a bit early in the car's life to be asking those sort of questions and that this is quite a lot to ask, (particularly since this is my first post!), but owner opinions is the best I can ask for.

Many thanks for any help/opinions/views.... and looking forward to becoming a long term member of the forum!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ran the 2.7d PL for a year - great car. However, I am now running the 3.0d, there is a marked improvement. Would certainly stretching the budget if you can.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depreciation is likely to be high for the 2.7 now the 3.0 is available.

Straight choice really;

1. Drive a really good deal for a 2.7 (go for high spec)
2. Fork out the extra for the better car and suffer slightly less depreciation.
3. Go mad really stretch the budget and buy a discounted XF thro' drive the deal.

The advantage of option 1 is that the dealers will want to out the 2.7s name your price and make them weep... :p :lol:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum phil_b :)
I agree with Slickfingers if you can just find the extra, go for a 3.00.
Buy the 2.7 and you will be delighted, buy the 3.00 and you will be doubly delighted.
As for the dealer; don't concern yourself with location, just the deal. Servicing can be done by any dealer and you will have ample time to discover one that offers value for money :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the response. I've never been on a forum and had such a quick set of replies!

Perhaps to be more succinct regarding the dealer issue, I am one of those people who likes to reward good service by placing my business there in the first place if possible (I know that's a bit cart and horse, but hey). Whoever is responsible, I tend to find you get better help when you bought the car from that dealer in the first instance.

Also keen to hear good news stories about dealers who go that extra mile... too many forums are full of gripes about the bad ones!

Thanks again for the replies guys.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi Phil,
Glad to see another coming to the fold! The other guys have said their bit about the 2.7 and the new 3, which at the end of the day comes down to what offer you get and what tickles your taste buds, whichever one you get, you'll be driving a head turner and the difference between the 3 and 2.7 external are fairly negligible, only us XF spotters would know the difference :geek:

As for dealers in Kent, I got my 2.7 from Baratts of Ashford and I'll be there again next month to get my next one. Very good friendly service, there must be something going for them as I currently work in Germany and drive all the way back, just to deal with them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Depending on your desired spec, I'd go with BigAndy's comments and check out Drive the Deal on the internet - a brand new 3.0D Luxury with 3 years warranty would only set you back £30,119. You may even find a local dealer of your choice would match this price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Genuine thanks for the responses, which have given me plenty to think about, possibly a little too much for a simple mind!

Given that I'm looking for a long termer that I will be spending a reasonable time in I'm hedging towards a higher spec 2.7, perhaps simply because the 3.0 I'd really like is a bit of a stretch and the thought of instant depreciation might be a bit too much for me to bear, although it would hardly be relevant in 4 years....

Dilemma: 3 years full warranty, plus 1 extended (if viable) or chance on 1.5 - 2 years remaining plus extended, with same proviso.

Not so straightforward when you understand that I currently run an Accord Exec CDTi, which will probably never cause me problems for another 90k (SAFE), and an Alfa 156 (2001 with 120k :eek: ) which whilst has me breathing a sigh of relief every time I make it home, but is such a contrast to the Honda, and just makes me smile for being what it is (ANYTHING BUT SAFE).

2.7 and Honda stays, 3.0 and finances say only Alfa stays.

Sorry all, I realise it can only by my call, but I'm just trying to learn something from verablising (read: typing) my thoughts with like minded individuals....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Phil,

I purchased my XF (new) from Lancaster (Sidcup) and they matched Broadspeed (internet) deal.

They also have several outlets in SE and a large range of XF's.

I've no experience of their servicing etc. as only had car 6 weeks, but they would rather sell a car than keep it on the front (within reason).

I've had no experience of 2.7 but newer 3.0 models do have several significant updates as well as the factory having over a year to iron out minor faults (as expected with a totally new model...I'm certainly not 'knocking' 2.7).

That's my halfpence worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have dealt exclusively with Lancaster Sevenoaks for the last 3 years with two X Types and the purchase of a new 3.0DS from them recently.

They are the best I have experienced in 45 years of car ownership, both Sales & Service are excellent.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Phil,

I guess the thing to do is test drive both the 2.7 & 3.0 and see what difference it makes to you. As other posters have said, the differences are more than just the engine size - I'm sure someone much more knowlegable than me will be able to post a full list.

I would query why you would want an XF and an Accord at the same time though? In what circumstance would you choose to take the Accord out rather than use the XF?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've used Barratts of Canterbury for my current XF and the two previous X-types - always had exemplary service on the sales and servicing side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Growler - if you could see some of the places I have to park during the course of my work :eek: you'd see that a 2nd car of any description is probably wise!

X

·
0 Posts
Hi Phil B,

I too use Lancaster Sevenoaks for vehicle sales and servicing and would be only too happy to recommend them to you. I have seen other favourable reports on this forum for them as well.

I have found them to be excellent in every respect and for that reason continue to take my custom there.
I would say the Lancaster Sidcup branch has significantly more used stock available and on display however in my experience they can't match Sevenoaks for the personal touch and their attention to detail.

I understand the temptation to go for a top spec 2.7 as this engine does have excellent reviews and you will definately get very good value for your money. I had the 2.7 diesel S Type and loved it, however the 3.0d engine is even better still. Either way you won't be disappointed, which ever model you decide on...enjoy, it really is a great car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I was very tempted by a 2.7 PL which was pretty much fully loaded, but I couldn't get in touch with the seller, and the money was burning a hole....

This led me to a couple of local dealers, and in the end I went for a new 3.0D S Luxury in Liquid Silver with Warm Charcoal + camera. Collecting on Wednesday from Lancaster Sidcup. Pics to follow.

Just 2 days and counting... every second! :D

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
phil_b said:
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I was very tempted by a 2.7 PL which was pretty much fully loaded, but I couldn't get in touch with the seller, and the money was burning a hole....

This led me to a couple of local dealers, and in the end I went for a new 3.0D S Luxury in Liquid Silver with Warm Charcoal + camera. Collecting on Wednesday from Lancaster Sidcup. Pics to follow.

Just 2 days and counting... every second! :D
Well done phil_b :)
2 days, that's no time at all :lol:
Anyway, even if it is only for two days, you are now on the Roll of Honour
Here :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts